USPHS Medical disqualification - appeals process?

Hi all, 

I thought I was right up to the finish line in the 9 month process of applying for the USPHS. I currently work at the BOP as a civilian and am trying to convert. They recently sent me a letter that I was medically disqualified due to receiving 4 months of counseling last year and receiving the diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder by my PsyD therapist. This was the only time I have ever had therapy, and it was in response to a confluence of some negative life events. Didn't take meds or try to suicide, just needed to talk to someone for a few sessions. Now I'm fine. The therapist has already reported to them that the condition is in remission. 

I have the opportunity to appeal the decision, but they didn't tell me any details of what I should submit as part of an appeal. Should I just have my therapist write another letter saying I'm okay now? Does anyone have experience with this process? What is my chance of successfully appealing this? If it's a hard line in the sand since I'm now labeled with "depression", I won't bother. I've heard conflicting things. 

Thanks for any info!

• Administrator

There are some specific criteria for Major Depressive Disorder (296.xx) vs. simple depression (311).  In my experience, those who treat medicare patients are much more ready to code for a 296 series disorder, because it's a cost-adjusted diagnosis: if you treat someone for that, you get paid more.  On the other hand speaks to a much milder and more common form of depression.

Based on your initial summary of your issue, I suspect an MDD diagnosis may have been inappropriate in the first place, and the medical facts may not support the diagnosis given to you.  How to appeal that?  I have no idea.

I asked a colleague psychologist about the diagnosis; we went over it together. According to the DSM 4, my original dx (Adjustment disorder) would also have been appropriate; however my therapist changed it apparently due to the length of time I had the symptoms (my colleague disagrees with this reason.) According to the DSM 5, I did meet the criteria for MDD (single episode) which trumps Adjustment d/o. My colleague is helping me draft a letter to my therapist asking if he would consider changing the diagnosis. He probably will not do that though. 

I'm still not sure what my 'angle' should be. If I can't really challenge the diagnosis, what should I even say as part of my appeal? Write a letter begging and pleading? Should I see another therapist to pronounce me "normal"? And do I even have any chance of being granted this appeal?

As a sidebar, my therapist is salaried by my medical group so he doesn't have an incentive (or at least not as much as a typical fee for service outfit) to label me with MDD. 

Archived