Existing students or graduates of Augsburg's PA Program

Like so many other applicants, I am anxiously and eagerly awaiting for the end of September to roll around to see if I will hear back from Augsburg. That being said, I was wondering if any graduates or current/pre-existing PA students of this program have been accepted and/or wait listed who have also had "lower" GPAs? My GPA would make some cringe on paper, but the pre-reqs for the program ended up being successful, so the upward trend in grades is what I am banking on the program to acknowledge (high hopes, I know...). 

Anyone fall into that category? I otherwise am also hoping the rest of my application is worthy of consideration--50+ hrs of shadowing multiple PAs in multiple clinical and hospital settings, anticipated 1300 hrs of direct patient care working at Regions Hospital as a PCA, 300+ hrs of "community service" as the VP of a large Asian-American student organization during undergrad, 200+ hrs of volunteer tutoring International students in English outside the classroom, and 400 hrs of ED scribing. While I'm not expecting to be accepted this first time around, I am still curious as to who got accepted or, if you didn't, did Augsburg provide detailed feedback such that an applicant has something to work with during the year before the next app cycle? 

Thanks!

Hello prePA3, as a current student what I know about the application process is that Augsburg receives over a thousand applications and because of this they take their pre-reqs very seriously. I believe the minimum GPA requirement is 3.0. This is the first factor used to narrow down the pool. Pre-reqs / plan to complete pre-reqs is the second factor. You sound like a very well-rounded canidate with great experiences. If your GPA does not meet the minimum requirement that unfortunately may be an issue. However, if possible try to increase your GPA in case you need to reapply next year. Most schools do not frown upon a few retaken classes if you show a significant improvement.

Hello prePA3, as a current student what I know about the application process is that Augsburg receives over a thousand applications and because of this they take their pre-reqs very seriously. I believe the minimum GPA requirement is 3.0. This is the first factor used to narrow down the pool. Pre-reqs / plan to complete pre-reqs is the second factor. You sound like a very well-rounded canidate with great experiences. If your GPA does not meet the minimum requirement that unfortunately may be an issue. However, if possible try to increase your GPA in case you need to reapply next year. Most schools do not frown upon a few retaken classes if you show a significant improvement.

Thank you so much for the tip and advice! I do meet the requirement, but had heard from a couple PA students working alongside myself (as a scribe) and the PAs I chart for who were implying that the program takes one look at your GPA and if it doesn't hit 3.4 or above (their "supposed average"), then they won't even look at the rest of your application. I started off finding that somewhat hard to believe, especially if someone has thousands of experience hours racked up, but now am considering it to be somewhat more realistic in terms of their expectations. It wouldn't surprise me, but hopefully that would not be the only portion they consider! My GPA was dragged down unfortunately due to the intro type science courses. Once I regained and found my footing, the pre-reqs/upper division science courses were what brought my GPA up. I am not sure how a program would view that, and re-taking intro type courses (like general chemistry) just wouldn't seem like a fruitful endeavor. I suppose it would be better regarded if a) I had to boost my GPA and b) took more upper division science courses as opposed to retaking an intro course, no? 

Thanks again for the insight; it is greatly appreciated!

Don't worry about retaking intro courses if you showed improvement in upper level. My intro courses were lower than upper level. I believe canidadates with 3.3 or higher of both cummulative and science GPAs are put in the same group and considered first. Next is 3.0 or higher. I'm not sure what the average was for my class, but my guess would be a 3.5 median/mean. Also, some were accepted as early as October and others as late as May a few days before class started. Be patient and don't stress yourself out when people start posting acceptances on this forum. Best of luck, I look forward to meeting some of you this fall!

Don't worry about retaking intro courses if you showed improvement in upper level. My intro courses were lower than upper level. I believe canidadates with 3.3 or higher of both cummulative and science GPAs are put in the same group and considered first. Next is 3.0 or higher. I'm not sure what the average was for my class, but my guess would be a 3.5 median/mean. Also, some were accepted as early as October and others as late as May a few days before class started. Be patient and don't stress yourself out when people start posting acceptances on this forum. Best of luck, I look forward to meeting some of you this fall!

Thanks so much again, this really helps to relieve some of this nervousness! 

• 3 months later...

I'm unfortunately becoming more and more sure that I will not be one of the lucky intervewees this application cycle given the stats I applied with. That being said, I had a question for those who have been accepted, who are graduates, or are applying again: in some supplemental applications I've seen, they ask for a more detailed essay regarding either the applicant themselves, or their academic record. (Ie: Madison offers the optional academic record statement as a way for applicants to discuss anything regarding transcripts/grades). That being said, I didn't get that feeling from Augsburg's supplemental application, but was wondering if I'd misread or misinterpreted their supp app incorrectly; do they provide a space in their app to discuss such topics? 

Thanks in advance!

Archived