Choosing the more expensive school.

Hi guys! 

Ok so I know this is a GREAT situation to be in, but I'm sure those of you who are in the same boat can understand the stress of making the wrong choice. So what to do if you get accepted into multiple schools. In my situation I am debating between a cheaper school in my hometown that wasn't bad, and a school in a big city that is obviously more expensive and nowhere near where I live now. So purely on location and what I feel would be more interesting, I would choose the big city. I am itching to get out of my hometown, and feel like this is a great opportunity for that. On the other hand, staying home would be cheaper (no moving, cheaper rent, and cheaper tuition) and just easier. 

I know that financially, staying home is the smarter option, but would going to the big city be an extremely STUPID idea or just one that might be a little harder but manageable? I know that every situation is different so I am basically just looking for some input from people who have/have had this same issue. 

Thank you. 

I had the same issue during undergrad. I ended up with about $10,000 more in debt by moving to D.C., but I would never regret it. You're going to PA school, not getting an MFA. You'll be able to pay it back.

Are you good at adjusting to big changes? Sometimes moving can be very difficult. But if you see it as an exciting opportunity, I'd go for it!

I had the same issue during undergrad. I ended up with about $10,000 more in debt by moving to D.C., but I would never regret it. You're going to PA school, not getting an MFA. You'll be able to pay it back.

Are you good at adjusting to big changes? Sometimes moving can be very difficult. But if you see it as an exciting opportunity, I'd go for it!

This is great to hear! My boyfriend and I are both pretty comfortable with moving (he was deployed in Afghanistan and I lived in Korea for 2 years) so I don't think adjusting will be too tough. I appreciate your input!

where do you want to work when you are done? is the big town school associated with better didactic and clinical education?

Only questions worth answering are in E's quote

This is true. Both schools have very good PANCE scores but I'll have to do more research on how their clinicals compare. Ideally I would like to stay and work in the big city as opposed to where I live now. 

Some of your decision is dependent on where you are in life. If you're young and you want the adventure of living somewhere else -- and you can afford it -- then do it. If you're older, have had your moving experiences, and want to be more conservative, then stay at home.

Bottom line: It is important which school will give you the best education and leg-up on a career. In life though, sometimes all other things being equal, you choose a new adventure. I can't quibble with that; I quit a much better paying job to become a PA just because I wanted to. So you can choose to do things just because YOU wanted to.

Just be aware that every choice has its consequences and its price. You need to understand what those are. Then choose away!

Good luck!

Archived