Wait listed at #1 choice school. Discouraged :-(

I was wait listed about a month ago at my top choice school. I think I'd die of happiness if I got off the wait list. I was just wondering if I should do a letter of intent? When should I do it? What should I say? Do I email it or mail it? Who do I address it to? And if this LOI is even necessary at all?

The school doesn't tell us rankings, but I was jsut wondeign if any could provide insight on how some schools may do the ranking. Based more on grades and narrative? Or based more on the interview? And we were ranked from that? Everyone on the wait list was obviously wait listed, so how would we be ranked---gpa? Hce? I'm just trying to gain some hope that I may be somewhere around the top of the list

Depends on the school but generally it's a holistic rank - your total package as a student. If someone declined, who is their next pick. There's really no way for you to know. Most schools also say the list is 'fluid' meaning even if they did tell you a rank, it's not set in stone. Remember, with each interview session, more students will be added to the wait list and that could change your position.

Also I personally wouldn't do a letter of Internet. You've applied, interviewed, now you wait like everyone else. Probably until December or whenever their interviews are over. I don't think most schools would even consider a LOI. Basically it's more for them to deal with and it's also not fair to have extra info with which to evaluate you compared to other students.

Sit back and wait. Consider that being wait listed is better than being rejected so there's still hope.

If you are on the wait list, it's a good thing. Keep interviewing and waiting. People come off the acceptance list as the season progresses; some people drop off not all that long before the term starts. My best friend in PA school lived 2500 miles away and got picked from the wait list with 48 hours to go.

Hang in there. And I wouldn't write an LOI; it would just make you sound unusual... and maybe not in a good way...

I was admitted from the wait list 3 weeks before school started. To be fair I also have more than a few classmates who were admitted to PA school the second year they applied.  If you made it to the wait list you have what this program is looking for in a student.  Sometimes there are more good candidates than there are places in the class.

I agree with UGoLong, no letter of intent. 

Archived