Current student on IR rotation - what to expect?

I am a PAS-II rotating in an academic hospital in the IR service this month. My rotation last month was IM and not very hands on with procedures, I'd like to change that this month. Being a "student" - how much can I push being allowed to do procedures? What kind of procedures should I push to perform? The attending said that he would like to get me doing PICCs and LPs by the end of the month, which is cool. But I would also like to get my hands on some biopsies, thoras, paras, and other stuff. I understand that I'm probably just going to be an observer for the large cases like hepatic adenonoma embos, but I don't want to be a fly on the wall for the next 4 weeks, and I need some insight on how to firmly push that agenda but remain within my student limits (and not step on any toes).

I only spent a few days with IR but they were letting me do paras practically on my own after a few practice runs, so you should definitely be able to push for those.  Generally speaking, the more you know about the procedue before-hand, the more they'll be willing to let you do.  Read up on the steps of the procedure.  Know the anatomy; what are you trying to locate w/ US and avoid when you insert the needle?  Also, know things like what labs you'll want to get before.  Know how much you can drain off before having to stop, if you'll need to replace anything if you drain off certain amounts.  You'll likely do it ultrasound guided, so refresh your ultrasound basics. Make sure youre comfortable with creating and maintaining a sterile field.  If you come in prepared with this info, they'll let you do a lot more. 

• 10 months later...

Do you mind if I ask where you all are doing your IR rotations? I will starting rotations January 2017 and since it is an elective I think they want me to set it up myself (which I heard can take months sometimes!). I'm not even sure where to start looking. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived