Supervising Physician in GI interested in teaching me to scope

I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has any information on GI PAs doing EGDs and colonoscopies. I have been in GI for 4 years now and work currently in Greenville, NC. My supervising physician and I have been discussing lately about PAs doing EGD and colonoscopies as well, specifically the more straight forward cases with minimal sedation requirements (conscious sedation). The physician has shown interest in teaching me. I was told to research some information about limitations, billing, requirements, and any additional information. I have been able to find that Johns Hopkins trained 3 NPs in the past few years to do EGD and CLNs with the same adenoma miss rate as the physicians. Does anybody have anyone they know or any information in general to help me?

The other option I have considered is contacting one of the medical schools in NC to consider taking a PA in an altered fellowship set up to teach me. I do plan to look at the GI fellowship requirements and tailor my requirements to be around the same before I start solo.

I have already reached out to the President of GIPA for information nationwide.

Thank you

It is definitely legal in many states if it is a delegated task, whether it is reimbursible is the bigger question.  kaiser does not generally have to deal with that on a patient by patient basis, nor would the VA or the DOD.  Finding out whether the Medicare carrier for you state would reimburse is the bigger issue.  I would think that the GI doc would be on site,  if she were there for part of the procedure and/or reviewed tapes might it meet incident to criteria?  Billing experts could chime in. 

It is definitely legal in many states if it is a delegated task, whether it is reimbursible is the bigger question.  kaiser does not generally have to deal with that on a patient by patient basis, nor would the VA or the DOD.  Finding out whether the Medicare carrier for you state would reimburse is the bigger issue.  I would think that the GI doc would be on site,  if she were there for part of the procedure and/or reviewed tapes might it meet incident to criteria?  Billing experts could chime in. 

at kaiser the GI docs reviewed a % of the tapes for QA.

Guest Paula

I had a PA educator who taught one of my GI classes during school.  He was in GI and had done a GI residency.  He did flex sigs, liver biopsies, colonoscopies and EGD's.  He taught all the residents how to do them too.

So, yes, PAs can do them. Go for it.  PA scope of practice expansion is a good thing. 

Thank you everyone so far for the provided insight. Does anyone have any of the contact information of the above mentioned people or groups? If you could personally message me their info that we be great. I want to obtain a good guideline for requirements before I present all the information to my supervising physician.

Thanks again.

Archived