Is this unusual?

So, my caspa application has been verified five days ago, and today I got my first electronic email denial. I'm not missing anything from the application, and the deadline for the program is 10/1. This is my second time around, I'm just a little surprised at the five day turn around time. Could this possibly be a glitch or do programs actually review apps that quickly? Last year it took weeks/months!

Update:

The denied me because of my 3.1 gpa. They completely disregarded the fact that the two Fs i got was ten years ago, and I returned after a seven year gap to get an A in the course. My last 60 hours was 3.3, and it all would have been higher if they didn't consider the Fs. I bet they didn't even read my statement.

Sorry, it's just disheartening to see the mistakes of youth overshadow everything I've done since. I need to ask why bother if those Fs are still going to affect how I'm looked at from ten years ago!

Keep applying broadly and working to raise your GPA even further. You will hear from somebody. I'm sure you also applied to a few other programs and haven't heard yet (if you haven't, there is still plenty of time to). Don't give up just yet!

Unfortunately, when programs are processing hundreds if not thousands of applications, for a small number of spots, they have to make some cut offs. Most of the time, they are unpublished to allow them some flexibility when they need. Sometimes it's a hard GPA, sometimes it's something else. It sucks, but its part of the process. It's long, annoying, but well worth it at the end.

Keep your head up, a 3.1 GPA is above most minimum GPAs and they even ignored the two Fs.

Update:

The denied me because of my 3.1 gpa. They completely disregarded the fact that the two Fs i got was ten years ago, and I returned after a seven year gap to get an A in the course. My last 60 hours was 3.3, and it all would have been higher if they didn't consider the Fs. I bet they didn't even read my statement.

Sorry, it's just disheartening to see the mistakes of youth overshadow everything I've done since. I need to ask why bother if those Fs are still going to affect how I'm looked at from ten years ago!

You need to take more classes so that the Fs fall off of your last 60hrs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The fs aren't in my last 60. She told me 3.2 was competitive and my last 60 was a 3.33? Also they didn't ignore the Fs, otherwise they would have seen my overall and science be much higher. I've calculatwd my gpa without the Fs and its so much better it's heartbreaking.

The fs aren't in my last 60. She told me 3.2 was competitive and my last 60 was a 3.33? Also they didn't ignore the Fs, otherwise they would have seen my overall and science be much higher. I've calculatwd my gpa without the Fs and its so much better it's heartbreaking.

Not all schools consider the last 60 credits. To be fair, processing applications is already a lot of work for schools so if they have to recalculate everyone's GPA of last 60 or excluding a few bad grades they would never get anywhere.

If the rest of your app is strong, you'll find success somewhere. Consider that maybe you just weren't meant to go to that school. I personally take the view of 'if they don't want me, then I don't want them'. It al least helps the blow to the ego.

You also should keep in mind that you are not in competition with a school's minimal acceptable criteria - you are in competition with other applicants. Schools that participate in CASPA may get over 1000 applications. They need to quickly screen out some percentage to get to a manageable number of apps to handle.

The quality of the pool may change from year to year. Right now the profession is incredibly popular, but this is a little cyclical. And a ton of schools are opening which will dilue the pool a little bit. Keep plugging away.

Imagine applying with a 2.93 cGPA but your last 120 units were a 3.48 and your last 60 units were a 3.84...

Unfortunately, most schools only care about that final CASPA cGPA... Speaking from personal experience, it got very frustrating especially when your poor performance was a long time ago and doesn't reflect the student you are today. But that's the system, and I doubt it'll change. PA schools prefer to not take any "risks" on students because they want strong graduating and first time PANCE pass scores.

They pretty much have their pick of the litter with how many applicants and how competitive it is to get into PA school currently.

Don't let 1 auto-reject get to you. Take that as fuel to prove them wrong and that not accepting you was THEIR loss, not yours.

In my case, I paid back my program the best I could which included starting up a mobile clinic and winning a $10k grant for that clinic along with other items.

As a result, I've been given many opportunities that have made me grow as a future clinician and as a person.

Keep your head up and keep doing your thing.

Best of luck!

I don't know of any school where a 3.2 is competitive. Part of your problem is that even your last 60 is not competitive, so it's hard to argue that you are a changed man/woman.

I can empathize. My cgpa was 3.2 and my sgpa was 3.1 with a few Fs, a D or two, and a C or two thrown in. However, it was much easier for me to say I've turned a new leaf with the last 30 being 4.0 and last 60 being 3.8, with about 75% of that being sciences.

Keep at it. I do recommend continuing to improve your GPA by taking sciences and making all As from now on. Don't stop improving your app once it's submitted. Also, apply BROADLY.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I feel like I'm competitive considering my experience and that I got the Fs in what feels like a lifetime ago. Its amazing what 4 credits of Fs will do, plus a D.

Anyway, its not so much the rejection that bothers me, its the fact I feel like they didn't even review the rest of my app. If the cutoff was 3.0 and I was below it I expect auto rejection. I purposely avoided any school with a higher than a 3.0 min. I feel like I just wasted my money.

I did apply broadly so I'm hopeful! However I'm not sure how much is left in me haha. I decided MD wasnt for me when I was younger, and for the last five years I've been really working hard towards pa after I was forced to leave ems due to a medical condition. Nothing that would preclude me from pa, just no ems, fire, pd or military for me. I feel like I'm near the end up my rope here.

Anyways thanks for the advice. I have quite a few other schools I'm hoping for.

Archived