What is a fair salary or hourly wage for a PA or NP in Family Practice

Depends on your area.  I work for less than some would, but I'm happy with it based on my close relationship with my SP and a really good situation.  I'm paid an hourly rate, plus a $ amount per patient.  That allowed me to see less patients in the beginning while we were building our practice, plus kept my employer from going broke.  As time has gone on, my patient load goes up, so does my pay.  Recently my SP has mentioned he wants to "bump up" my hourly rate as well before the end of this year.  Granted, a tiny office doesn't offer much in benefits.  I get plenty of PTO but that's about it.

Yep malpractice is covered. It's a 1 doctor primary care office. No one in our office has those benefits. Not the doctor, not the staff. We are not tied to any organization. We are just too small to offer them.

does your husband get benefits that cover you or something? that situation doesn't sound fair or viable as a primary job. you are both underpaid and unbenefited...someone is taking advantage of you. the doc can afford no benefits it as he probably makes a few hundred k/yr

My  husband's job did cover me.  BUT, we are separating.  So I will need to find my own coverage.  I don't feel I'm being taken advantage of.  A good job doesn't require benefits.  Many small companies don't offer benefits; that's why they are exempted (less than 10 total employees).  I feel fairly compensated and fulfilled at my job and that's what matters.  I have the freedom to take as many days off as I want, holiday pay, and more paid time off than I can usually use in a year.  If I want lots of bennies, I would go work for a large corporation and have less voice in my practice.   Small doctor's offices are a dying breed, sadly, because everyone expects too much.  

An interesting article: http://www.inc.com/gene-marks/why-small-company-perks-always-beat-big-company-benefits.html

And another: http://smallbiztrends.com/2012/06/retain-your-employees.html

To each his own.

My  husband's job did cover me.  BUT, we are separating.  So I will need to find my own coverage.  I don't feel I'm being taken advantage of.  A good job doesn't require benefits.  Many small companies don't offer benefits; that's why they are exempted (less than 10 total employees).  I feel fairly compensated and fulfilled at my job and that's what matters.  I have the freedom to take as many days off as I want, holiday pay, and more paid time off than I can usually use in a year.  If I want lots of bennies, I would go work for a large corporation and have less voice in my practice.   Small doctor's offices are a dying breed, sadly, because everyone expects too much.  

An interesting article: http://www.inc.com/gene-marks/why-small-company-perks-always-beat-big-company-benefits.html

To each his own.

You are trying really hard to justify your poor compensation.  You are clearly being taken advantage of and anyone viewing this objectively would agree, unless you are making a really high hourly wage.

Going through Locums, I was placed in a community health clinic.  I asked for, and received, $65/hr.  That said, no medical or dental bennies.  They do pay for a $1700 monthly stipend, CME, and malpractice.  It's a 4-6 months placement and when it's complete, I can opt to stay longer and then, I will ask for a pay increase to $70/hour.  This model is very similar to when I did SNF/LTCs and made well over $140K last year.  

To each his own.

If you like it there then don't listen to those pushing you to make more.  

Happiness and financial stability is not related to income, it is related to personal satisfaction and spending less than you make.  If you really enjoy your clinic, enjoy the lifestyle your pay gives you, and are happy in your life then don't let some stranger on the internet tell you that you are being taken advantage of.  There are lots of PAs making 65-75 an hour and they are miserable.  Sounds like you are in a much better position than they are.

Fringe and benefits account for about 30-40% of base salary. You want to pay 100K to a person, as a business owner you have to budget 140K. That doc is saving 30-40% on you. While you can get medical coverage relatively cheap being young and healthy, matching contribution to your 401k or 403b is a different story. Think about a payout of 3-5-7% of your pre-tax money.

As far as "sad stories" how docs in own practice have it hard... no doc will work in private shop for less than being an employee of a health network. Busy FM doc makes over 400K in private practice, one of the reasons they can do it - PAs

• Administrator

I don't buy it. How great can a job really be when the employer doesn't even value you enough to provide fair compensation?

Non-monetary compensation goes both ways.

As part of my current employment agreement, I get off every day before I do a fire department shift at 5:00 PM, and don't start the following day until noon.  I am the only provider in the practice who has a rotating schedule, and the front desk staff have to deal with my schedule changing when no one else's does.  It is some time and effort for the practice to rotate schedules like that, but it's worth lower compensation for me to be able to continue participating in my civic EMS responsibilities as a fire officer and EMS trainer.

Non-monetary compensation goes both ways.

As part of my current employment agreement, I get off every day before I do a fire department shift at 5:00 PM, and don't start the following day until noon.  I am the only provider in the practice who has a rotating schedule, and the front desk staff have to deal with my schedule changing when no one else's does.  It is some time and effort for the practice to rotate schedules like that, but it's worth lower compensation for me to be able to continue participating in my civic EMS responsibilities as a fire officer and EMS trainer.

you should do the 2 week cme creighton pa to medic bridge at some point if you are serious about continuing in ems.

Archived