Looking for Advice!

Hello! I have spent the last year working as a Tissue Recovery Technician at a local tissue bank. It is Per Diem and I am on-call anywhere from 48-96 hours a week. I have already decided that I am going to wait until next year to apply to PA school. But I was just looking for advice at how useful this experience is as far as HCE goes. I recover grafts such as skin, bone, tendons, saphenous veins, femoral arteries, and hearts. All in a sterile, OR setting. I have tried calling several schools for advice but have got mostly answering machines. 

I was wondering if I should pursue other patient care avenues or if this one seems competitive for PA school entry. 

Thanks! 

One of my classmates in PA school did the same thing. It was very helpful along the way. He did also work as a CNA at a nursing home for a year or so, if I remember correctly.

There are programs where you will be just fine HCE wise. However, if you can get some experience working with some live patients nothing too fancy or glorious, and on the HCE side you will be set and pretty bullet proof

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

One of my classmates in PA school did the same thing. It was very helpful along the way. He did also work as a CNA at a nursing home for a year or so, if I remember correctly.

There are programs where you will be just fine HCE wise. However, if you can get some experience working with some live patients nothing too fancy or glorious, and on the HCE side you will be set and pretty bullet proof

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Yes Thank you so much. I decided to wait until next cycle and get my CNA certification. I appreciate the advice!! Thank you

It sounds like great health care experience, but not great direct patient care experience.  Trust me, there is a difference, even if we use HCE on here to mean DPCE.  Some schools will just want HCE while others will specify DPCE and honestly, it would be good to have some experience working with living patients to reinforce your career choice.

That said, if the schools you like will accept it, apply and see what happens.  

Archived