Is it worth it to apply this cycle?

I realize its getting pretty late (had to take a pre-req this summer and the schools I'm applying to deadlines are 9/1), but as I read on this forum more and more I'm starting to wonder if I should even bother applying or take another gap year.

I just finished my undergrad and will be taking one gap year working as a CNA, but I just got the job and haven't worked more than 100 hours yet, and I only have another 250 hours from volunteering (hospital and hospice). So very little HCE and only about 20 hours shadowing an MD. If accepted I will have well over 1,000 hours by the time I matriculate, but I know CASPA wants my current hours.

My Overall GPA is 3.65 and science is 3.55 and GRE is 159 V, 153 Q, and 4.0 W. My application is just about complete (including LOR). I'm wondering if my grades can make up for my lack of experience?  Also, if I don't get in will a poor application hurt my chances of applying next cycle?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I think that your GPA is fine. Every year you will have more experience. And every year, you will have one year less left to live. If you can afford it, I'd apply.

You may surprise yourself get in. You will certainly learn something in the process either way.

I'm in a similar situation and I'm going to apply this year. I figure if there's at least a slim chance that I'll get in, why not take it? At least if I get an interview, it will be good practice for next cycle. But I did remove all the schools from my list whose deadlines are September 1. Schools with October 1 deadlines are the earliest I'm doing.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost was going to wait another year last cycle and wait until this cycle to apply. However I decided to just go for it. I was fortunate enough to receive multiple interviews and acceptances when I didn't think I'd get offered any. It never hurts to try and like others said, if you can afford it, go for it! Good luck!

Archived