should my clinic buy be a laptop

I work in an ortho hand group and I am on call for the group every three weeks. I need access to patient EMR and ER radiology sites for consult. I frequently pull DOPL report for narcotics. 

Is it reasonable to request reimbursement for the purchase of a laptop? My current laptop broke and I am in need of a new one. 

• Administrator

If you're dealing with local copies of patient info, they are risking a lot of HIPAA fines if you have information stored anywhere other than a work-owned, encrypted laptop.

If you're just needing to use VPN to get into EMR, and substantially no data is stored locally, you will need a high speed network connection and whatever OS platform the VPN and terminal software (Citrix, etc.) supports.

Either way, it's to your financial advantage to have some of your call PAY redirected into call REIMBURSEMENT, either for the network or computer, so your employer pays a little less (they don't have to pay the employer portion of FICA or Medicare on the reduced income), and you get that portion of your total compensation tax-free.

If the expectation/requirement is for you to have online access from home when on call it certainly could make the case that they need to pay for this. This is a practice wide decision that has likely been made long before you are there. It may however be open to redirection, I did have one job allow me to use CME funds for a laptop. ($2500/year when in radiology)

Archived