Hi Everyone!

I'm a few months away from my PANCE and have heard great (and not so great) things about both Hippo and CME4Life. I would love any feedback from anybody who has experience (or a coupon code ;) ) with either.

Greetings. 

My name is John Bielinski, PA, and owner of CME4Life, LLC. 

I teach the board review program. 

I hear very good things about HIPPO.  It's my understanding they are large and well structured, and endourced by the AAPA.  I don't think a person can go wrong with HIPPO. 

CME4Life, LLC specializes in those that struggle to learn.  We specialize in getting the ortho/derm/psych/OB-GYN to recertify.  We specialize in making concepts come alive, not through rote memorization.  We teach you HOW to remember the material. 

Our three day conference is loaded with board review questions that you answer from your seat with the audience response system. 

If you come to day 1 of our CME4Life conference and don't think it's the best board review you have ever attended, we will refund your money.  Period. 

We send you study meaterial (750 flashcards) before the conference that we encourage you to mater.  This is low hanging fruit study material.  THEN, on day one, you are given a pretest.  This encourages you to study the pre-conference material.  When you pass this test, you now qualify for the "Extreme Guarentee."

If you fail:

1) Full money back guarentee

2) We pay for another board review course

3) We pay for you to retake your boards 

In out last conference of 50 people, 6 failed the pre-test.  When surveyed, every one of them said they didn't study our flashcards.  I can't get you to pass if you don't study.  Period. 

There are a lot of other board review programs that don't send study material and don't encourage you to study.  We do.  I do.  Why?  Because I deeply care about our profession and those that attend my program. 

Best of luck. 

We have board reviwe DVDs, PA Prep Flashcards (with audio file, digital flashcards, CDs) and the PA Prep Focus (this is a concentrated audio CD program that is like Cliff Notes for board review.)  Visit www.CME4Life.com for details. 

• Upvote 1

I've used HIPPO and have been watching Mr. Bielinski's videos for a very long time.

John is a great speaker and very engaging. Many of his memory aids are helpful, but I often find it difficult to remember mnemonics, which he uses heavily. Thus, I didn't go with his program, but still watch his videos from time to time as they are great.

HIPPO is for the most part very good. I find that the videos are just thorough enough and there are some bonus features, like an EKG review, which aren't necessary for the PANCE, but very well done.The videos are entertaining, usually are made up of a group of very knowledgeable people, and just about the right length. They also just updated a bunch of them and the quality continues to increase. Overall, I found it well worth the money and their customer service is great. Tons of CME available too. My one beef with HIPPO is that their question bank is made up of questions that do not approximate the PANCE and just aren't all that difficult. 

I have found that my best test prep is drilling questions with good explanations. Rosh Review, Exam Master, and a new program which I thought was very useful, PrepU from Wolters Kluwer, was where I went for test questions.  PrepU and Rosh have good mobile apps/access, which was a huge plus for me. 

Full disclosure, I was provided free access to help test PrepU, but kept returning to it even though I had paid for access to other sites.

All the best!

• Upvote 1

Greetings.

My name is John Bielinski, PA, and owner of CME4Life, LLC.

I teach the board review program.

I hear very good things about HIPPO. It's my understanding they are large and well structured, and endourced by the AAPA. I don't think a person can go wrong with HIPPO.

CME4Life, LLC specializes in those that struggle to learn. We specialize in getting the ortho/derm/psych/OB-GYN to recertify. We specialize in making concepts come alive, not through rote memorization. We teach you HOW to remember the material.

Our three day conference is loaded with board review questions that you answer from your seat with the audience response system.

If you come to day 1 of our CME4Life conference and don't think it's the best board review you have ever attended, we will refund your money. Period.

We send you study meaterial (750 flashcards) before the conference that we encourage you to mater. This is low hanging fruit study material. THEN, on day one, you are given a pretest. This encourages you to study the pre-conference material. When you pass this test, you now qualify for the "Extreme Guarentee."

If you fail:

1) Full money back guarentee

2) We pay for another board review course

3) We pay for you to retake your boards

In out last conference of 50 people, 6 failed the pre-test. When surveyed, every one of them said they didn't study our flashcards. I can't get you to pass if you don't study. Period.

There are a lot of other board review programs that don't send study material and don't encourage you to study. We do. I do. Why? Because I deeply care about our profession and those that attend my program.

Best of luck.

We have board reviwe DVDs, PA Prep Flashcards (with audio file, digital flashcards, CDs) and the PA Prep Focus (this is a concentrated audio CD program that is like Cliff Notes for board review.) Visit www.CME4Life.com for details.

You've convinced me! I'm signing up next year before I take PANRE.

Sent from my S5 Active...Like you care...

It's a great question. 

There are a lot of courses that are like Zithromax.  Zithromax is a great antibiotic for people who are going to get better anyways.  (Meaning... it's pretty close to a placebo antibiotic.)

If you are going to pass anyways, ANY board review course is going to be adequate. 

CME4Life is for those who are struggling.  CME4Lfie specializes in making concepts pop... come alive.  We specialize in hacking into the minds of the test writers and predicting questions and concepts.  Most board review courses teach with a concept of what's called "perceptual contrast."  Meaning, they teach you all of PA school again.  They flood you with more information than you can possible handle in hopes that which you do recall is enough to get you to pass.

We teach from a base up approach.  We make our conference fun, engaging and provide a foundation of confidence and competence. 

With that said, all board review courses have the same objective.  We make the information easy to recall and the learning process fun/engaging. 

Good luck.

I've used HIPPO and have been watching Mr. Bielinski's videos for a very long time.

John is a great speaker and very engaging. Many of his memory aids are helpful, but I often find it difficult to remember mnemonics, which he uses heavily. Thus, I didn't go with his program, but still watch his videos from time to time as they are great.

HIPPO is for the most part very good. I find that the videos are just thorough enough and there are some bonus features, like an EKG review, which aren't necessary for the PANCE, but very well done.The videos are entertaining, usually are made up of a group of very knowledgeable people, and just about the right length. They also just updated a bunch of them and the quality continues to increase. Overall, I found it well worth the money and their customer service is great. Tons of CME available too. My one beef with HIPPO is that their question bank is made up of questions that do not approximate the PANCE and just aren't all that difficult. 

I have found that my best test prep is drilling questions with good explanations. Rosh Review, Exam Master, and a new program which I thought was very useful, PrepU from Wolters Kluwer, was where I went for test questions.  PrepU and Rosh have good mobile apps/access, which was a huge plus for me. 

Full disclosure, I was provided free access to help test PrepU, but kept returning to it even though I had paid for access to other sites.

All the best!

Hi GreatChecko, would you recommend PrepU. I have both HiPPO and Rosh Review but I like Rosh Review better than Hippo for questions, Hippo is great for lectures but the questions are too easy giving a false hope. However, Rosh Review is kicking my butt (less than 250 questions done, avg=66%) 

How do you compare Rosh Review to Prep U and both to the PANCE? Thank you. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By dermpalw
      Because many of the PA certification study resource tips I see on this site are related to PANCE, I wanted to share a few takeaways from my PANRE study resource experience from when I tested in December of 2019.
      As a PA practicing in dermatology (nearly exclusively since becoming a PA), I had previously sought study resource suggestions on this forum in advance of preparing for my third PANRE.  I landed on the ones listed below.  There are other resources I wanted to try such as Kaplan and CME4LIFE which were also recommended.  This is by no means a comprehensive list of the best resources.  It is simply a list based on my own limited experience.
      List of resources used for 2019 PANRE Prep:
      Rosh Review question test bank (took about 2,200 questions).  Rosh provides a very convenient app which allows one to drop in any time and utilize the study mode for immediate feedback with a good review of rationale provided for answers.  Tests can be set up in a variety of ways and can be timed or untimed.  Final “projected PANCE score” turned out to be about 15 % lower than my PANRE score but I know others have reported experiencing the opposite scenario.  Note:  I am unaware how or if this is supposed to correlate to PANRE (vs. PANCE) projected score.  I found the best price for Rosh Review test question banks on this forum and purchased access through two members whose dates of access overlapped which worked out great.  I highly recommend Rosh Review questions.
      Joe Gilboy, PA-C test booklet and SoundCloud audio files (https://paboardreview.org).  Joe is a rather entertaining speaker who moves through various system lectures in a way that keeps you engaged, although he can go off topic a bit.  In his lectures, he covers system topics without exhaustively discussing a given system all the way through and then comes back to it later.  His theory is that he loses people's interest if he covers a subject cover to cover.  He sells access to members only SoundCloud lectures that follow a book outline which he will send to you within days of your order.  Total cost is $125.  Joe called back from the phone number I called listed on his site and was very willing to answer any questions.  He seems to have a genuine passion for helping PAs pass the boards and I greatly respect this.  Cardiac Pharmacology is his number one ranked SoundCloud lecture.  I highly recommend his Hepatitis lecture as well.  Test questions are in his book and some of them are discussed in his lectures.  The questions are rather limited in number overall.  The lecture and book served as a great resource which should probably be supplemented with a more comprehensive review book when preparing for the boards.  He provides a list of suggested additional study resources in his book.
      HIPPO PA video series and test bank (https://www.hippoed.com/pa/).  There is access to experienced video lecturers through HIPPO PA but honestly, I did not enjoy this one as much.  IMO, some of the lecturer’s back and forth was a bit annoying.  Also, not all of the speakers held my attention equally, nor did they always stay on topic.  However, I have read alot of positive feedback about this resource, so to each their own.  HIPPO PA seems like it is more than adequate as a stand alone resource to pass PANRE because they definitely cover the NCCPA Blueprint and there is alot of content overall.  The test bank was good and I liked the breakdown of feedback as to weaknesses and strengths in various categories.  I felt that Rosh questions more closely resembled the questions I experienced on the PANRE.
      Smarty PANCE Membership (https://smartypance.com).  This seems to be one of the most economical choices and actually includes access to Joe Gilboy’s lectures with a visual aid of the pages of Joe’s book as it follows his audio lectures.  Separately, there is a link through this site for Joe’s members only SoundCloud audio lectures.  In comparing this to Joe’s site, I think the only advantage to using paboardreview.org to purchase lectures is if one wanted to purchase his book in addition to the SoundCloud lectures.  I don't feel this is necessary but I liked the idea of supporting Joe directly by purchasing through him, so that’s why I chose to do both.  I think Smarty Pance is an adequate stand alone resource for passing the PANRE.  There are lots of questions (although currently weaker than Rosh) and many system oriented and comprehensive mock tests here as well.
      PANCE Prep Pearls: A practical Comprehensive Study and Review Guide for the PANCE and PANRE by Dwayne Williams, 2nd Edition.  (https://pancepreppearls.com)  List price is currently $47.  Lots of algorithms and thorough content overall.  Of note, a currently priced $50, 2 volume third edition was recently released on the site above.  It is promoted as “more user friendly” and “in line with the 2019 blueprint.”  In my research, this book is often recommended for PANCE and PANRE test prep.  I would recommend using this resource to supplement another source for test prep.  There is also a related app that can be purchased but I have not tried it.
      Now that I have taken and passed my PANRE, I would recommend the following if I was preparing for the PANRE in 2020:  Rosh Review question bank access (per negotiated or Rosh direct purchase rate), Smarty Pance ($65 one year all access pass is the current rate), Joe Gilboy SoundCloud lectures accessed through Smarty Pance for on the go, and I would purchase the two volume 3rd Edition of PANCE Prep Pearls ($50).  Part of my rationale for this is that one could probably get access to all of the above in 2020 for around $200 total (give or take a bit) which I think is reasonable.  The price paid for CME resources varies widely and can be much more expensive, so please do your research on that.
      The 2019 PANRE was different from past PANRE tests and perhaps a bit more difficult for me in that buzz words are gone compared to the previous tests.  Also, I found myself reading through a question while thinking, “Oh cool, I know this diagnosis," only to be asked about a subtle lab or exam finding nuance.  My overall score was the highest I have had for PANRE thus far but I also prepared more this time than in the past.  I definitely recommend being thorough in test prep because relying on question banks but not knowing the material on a deeper level will only lead to unnecessary stress.  Begin test prep months out, if possible.  Remember that NEARLY everyone but not every single one person passes PANRE.  This should be reassuring for those who are worried about passing the PANRE.  This is a link for PANRE pass rates that goes through 2018 as of the date of this posting:  http://prodcmsstoragesa.blob.core.windows.net/uploads/files/PANREPassRates.pdf.
      I cannot speak to PANCE Prep since I know PANCE and PANRE present different challenges and degrees of difficulty.
      I hope this is helpful.  If you would, please comment with your preferred board prep resource and reasons as to why.  I am happy to respond by DM with specific questions regarding this post.  Thank you for reading it.
    • By CAZephyr
      We have spots available still for the Pediatric Sports Medicine Conference: Managing Pain in Your Young Athletes After Injuries on January 11th, 2020 at UC Berkeley. More info below!
      Download: PEDIATRIC SPORTS MEDICINE CONFERENCE FLIER
      Registration http://bit.ly/UCSFsportsmed2020
      Cost $175

• By CAZephyr
      I wanted to share a conference that I'm helping plan in January 2020: Pediatric Sports Medicine Conference: Managing Pain in Your Young Athletes After Injuries. I attended last year and really enjoyed the content. It sold out last year, so if you're interested in attending, be sure to register before the end of Dec.
      UCSF Benioff Sports Medicine faculty will present evidence-based management of acute and chronic pain, including the roles of ice, splints and braces, pain medication, cognitive behavioral therapy and physical therapy.

By the end of this conference, participants will be able to:
      Recognize the early signs and symptoms of pain amplification syndrome and chronic regional pain syndrome that could occur after injury
        Apply appropriate pain management strategies for young athletes, including ice and other modalities, pain medication, cognitive behavioral therapy, and physical therapy
        Discuss the red ‑ flags of pediatric musculoskeletal injuries, including when to get X-rays and when to refer
        Describe the proper prescription and ­ fitting of upper- and lower extremity splints, including their duration of use depending on injury diagnosis
        Explain the steps needed for proper evaluation and management of concussions to avoid persistent post-concussion symptoms, including chronic headache pain
        Identify rheumatological causes of joint and back pain in pediatric patients Here is the link for more information or to register: https://ucsfbch.regfox.com/2020-pediatric-sports-medicine-conference 

• By pa-to-be
      private family practice PA-C here. looking to change specalities and need new ACLS and BLS certification. I was thinking of using promed; it looks pretty simple. I notice on the sample card that it mentions american heart association  but obviously is not actually distributed by AHA. Will this be a problem when applying to jobs? Should I just take the time and got to AHA class in person? 
    • By SEMPA
      Registration Now Open for SEMPA 360!
      Make a difference in your practice by joining us for SEMPA 360, March 16-20, 2020, in Chicago, IL for the most in-depth and comprehensive educational experience available for EMPAs.
      Register Now To:
      Increase your depth and breadth of medical knowledge Take your emergency medicine skills to the next level with hands-on workshops Learn about the specialty’s latest tools, trends and techniques Connect with colleagues from across the country Build a network of likeminded people And much, much more!  
      And if you register today, you can take advantage of
      the deeply discounted early-bird rates!
      https://www.sempa.org/sempa360/

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More