Approaching non-advertised jobs

I'm will be finishing up school in just a few months and have started looking at potential employers. There are several large hospital systems in my area, but there appears to be very few PA jobs being advertised on their job portals or the typical job search engines. I don't get the sense that the area is saturated. The few providers I have spoken to tend to leave things to HR and don't seem to have much influence on creating positions. My gut feeling that sending in a CV without applying to a specific advertised position would probably result in the CV getting tossed or filed away. Is it common to just cold fax a CV and hope for the best or is there a better way? Recruiters maybe? 

target physician dept chiefs directly, not HR. HR is often worthless. I created one of my best jobs by approaching a rural dept and convincing them that they needed  a part time PA to cover weekends. that was 8 years ago. I still work there and just got a $7 dollar/hr raise without asking for one...

Archived