Private Family Practice Offer - Need Help!

I am about to graduate and recently received a contract from a privately owned family practice in Florida (1 physician/1 other PA) in my neighborhood (could walk there if I wanted to).  Here is what they are offering...

1.  29 hr work week (33 hours with lunch hours included - which I figure I'll be working through since I'm a new grad, most likely) with the expectation to see 95 patients per week

2. 1 out of 3 weekend on call duties

3. 12 PTO days a year after the first 90 days when I start

4. 6 paid holidays annually

5.  Malpractice insurance/license fee and natl recert fee

6. $1000.00 CMEs with 3 paid days off

7. Performance eval in one year

8. Pays 50% of my health insurance premiums (for just me)

I am a mom with two teens and I am trying to make sure I'm doing the best for my family, too.  I have student loans and I don't know if I can afford to work here, although this practice seems to be a good fit for me.

Any advice would be helpful!  Thanks!

Guest Paula

Are they going to pay you a salary?  What is it?  95 patients a week is a lot for a new grad.  If you are working 4 eight hour days, that is 23.75 patients a day.  The hours listed are strange.  Is this a part time job with no benefits such as 401K?  No insurance for the family?  Are your kids covered under another plan that you have to buy? 

What is the mix of patients you will see?  Children, elderly, complex, chronic , pain????  

What is the availability of the physician and PA  to mentor you the first few years?  

What will be your loan payments?  Can you pay your loans and still support your kids and other life expenses?

pretty crappy offer

I am about to graduate and recently received a contract from a privately owned family practice in Florida (1 physician/1 other PA) in my neighborhood (could walk there if I wanted to).  Here is what they are offering...

1.  29 hr work week (33 hours with lunch hours included - which I figure I'll be working through since I'm a new grad, most likely) with the expectation to see 95 patients per week

I am a mom with two teens and I am trying to make sure I'm doing the best for my family, too.  I have student loans and I don't know if I can afford to work here, although this practice seems to be a good fit for me.

pretty crappy offer - But you did not tell us the salary.....

1 - 29 hour work week is ok - but this means you only work 29 hours - don't work through lunch, don't work for free - you are an hourly employee - DO NOT WORK FOR FREE - and they need to come up with a fixed schedule where you can moonlight - has to be allowed.  

2 - NO WAY on call - you need to be compensated for this - I would say TOTALLY unreasonable to expect a new grad to take call in the first 6 months, and NO WAY should a part timer take that much call

3 - 12 PTO days - with ZERO the first 3 months - ugh, no - I would saw a prorated (75%) of the 3 weeks vacation, 4 Days CME, 1-2 weeks sick and personal - - CAREFUL here - it really should be figured in hours off so that it is fair - ie if your work week is 29 hours then 3 weeks vacation is 29x3 = 87 hours

4 - 6 holidays - what is it with employers getting stingy on the holidays - normal is about 11 (9-13)   this is another week of work they are getting out of you for FREE

5 - they should pay for all License DEA and credentialing fees - NOT OUT OF YOUR CME funds - this is just an expense to the practice, and should not penalize you

6 - $1000 - no where near enough for a new grad - ask for $2000

7 - 6 month eval, then 12 m and repeating every 12 months - you are new and need feedback (and maybe a raise or to negotiate other items)

8 - 50% - that simply STINKS - no way I would go for any less then 80%

It sounds like HR or the owners are treating you like a receptionist - not a REVENUE GENERATING professional - only you and the doc are REVENUE POSITIVE and they need to treat you with a better package.  

This is the classic small practice offer from a money grubbing owner that really doesn't understand the value we bring - be very cautious in working there as they have already tilted their hat a little bit about how they view and value you

As a practice owner in my state the 29 hour mark as well as the 19 hour mark are HUGE - 20 and 30 hours a week are where there is some state mandated bennies that must be paid and it appears like they are trying to squeek you in just under those (once again to save a $$ but it is so short sighted)

Now the opposite side - you are a new grad and this is a job offer - so that is valuable, look at the mentoring ability (95 per week for a 29 hour week is >3 per hour - which again says they are only looking at the $$ as this is TOO MUCH for a new grad)

To provide some numbers

95 patients - if they at $75/patient that is ~$7000 per week of income - 

+$7000

-1500 salary (guess $1500/week = 70,000 year)

Bennies will likely only be about $200 per week

THEY ARE MAKING ALMOST $5000 PER WEEK off your labor!!!!!

Thank you so much for the replies!!  I thought I gave the salary...$78,000. 

There was only two pages to the contract.  The second page was all about completing medical records within 7 days of service in addition to completing the other responsibilities such as refill requests and addressing messages.

How much should be compensated for on-call work every 3rd weekend?

They are looking at this job as "full time", or four and a half days.  However, I realize I will be quite slow the first few months and I am figuring I will work close to 40 hours a week (at least), but only paid for the 29. 

Again, this physician seems laid back and willing to train and teach.  It is only 1/2 mile from my house.  Also, the encounters will mainly be "follow ups", mostly private insurance patients.

It may be this or moving out of state to find the right fit/job for me as a new grad.  Not too many new grad jobs down here!!

78k is too low, 85k is probably closer, especially given call.

1000 dollar cme is too low, most folks get 1500+

they should pay 100% of the medical/dental/vision for your whole family( I have never had a job that didn't, even as a paramedic).

retirement? life insurance? long term disability? DEA fees ($750 or so every 3 years to rx controlled substances)

12 pto days is too low. remember pto also includes sick days. 14 is a bare min.

Thank you so much for the replies!!  I thought I gave the salary...$78,000. 

There was only two pages to the contract.  The second page was all about completing medical records within 7 days of service in addition to completing the other responsibilities such as refill requests and addressing messages.

How much should be compensated for on-call work every 3rd weekend?

They are looking at this job as "full time", or four and a half days.  However, I realize I will be quite slow the first few months and I am figuring I will work close to 40 hours a week (at least), but only paid for the 29. 

Again, this physician seems laid back and willing to train and teach.  It is only 1/2 mile from my house.  Also, the encounters will mainly be "follow ups", mostly private insurance patients.

It may be this or moving out of state to find the right fit/job for me as a new grad.  Not too many new grad jobs down here!!

So let me understand? They want to pay you for 29 hours, considering working for 40, not allowing you to work Perdiem anywhere else, have peace in the contract on completing everything within seven days, but keeping you a part-time employee? Also on call every third week. Sorry this is unacceptable.

No call for the first six months, paid for every hour you are in the clinic. No free overtime. This is just a fair proposal for employment.

Please do not just accept something because the offer is there, it makes it harder on every other PA out there.

If they want to pay you a salary, and have full-time employment, the need to treat you as a full-time employee, this means benefits paid, much better compensation, much better benefit package.

Archived