Required GPA of 3.0

Hello all, 

To make a long story short, when I first left home for college I did really bad. But over the years I have improved, and I have a few retakes in my science classes. When I graduate, my GPA will be over a 3.0 but my CASPA sGPA won't be. From my understanding CASPA doesn't do grade replacement, it takes into account your entire academic career. I have 5 sciences classes left (ochem, micro, genetics, cell bio & physiology), and even if I were to get an A in all these classes I still wouldn't have a 3.0 science GPA (sad, I know lol). If they only took into account the last grade I got, I'd have no issues.

I'm a Texas resident, and I have no desire to go out of state for school (but I might have to). With the pre-reqs I have, I can apply to 5 schools: Baylor, UNT, UTMB, UTSW & UT-Pan American. With the exception of UT-Pan American, their websites say the minimum required CASPA GPA is a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. 

I take this to mean I won't even be considered with a sGPA less than a 3.0. When CASPA calculates my GPA, they probably wouldn't let me continue with the process, am I correct in this? 

Should I look into out of state schools that don't specifically state a GPA requirement? 

You are in a rough spot, the sGPA is also considered the more important. Just about every school has a 3.0 req. it may just mean taking even more higher level science courses with As until you have the 3.0. Otherwise most of these schools will auto sort you out of the stack.

Take a look at the CASPA FAQ to see the courses included in sGPA calculations. Classes such as health and medical terminology are included, consider some of those to boost your sGPA, as well.

Many times when a school says just GPA, they mean cGPA. Some will delineate sGPA versus cGPA. You can contact the programs to ask.

As far as CASPA, they don't stop the process. All they do is verify everything and pass it on to the schools. They decide if you continue, not CASPA.

Always consider out of state schools by your competitiveness, and their cost (plus the merits of the program, et al).

Take a look at the CASPA FAQ to see the courses included in sGPA calculations. Classes such as health and medical terminology are included, consider some of those to boost your sGPA, as well.

Many times when a school says just GPA, they mean cGPA. Some will delineate sGPA versus cGPA. You can contact the programs to ask.

As far as CASPA, they don't stop the process. All they do is verify everything and pass it on to the schools. They decide if you continue, not CASPA.

Always consider out of state schools by your competitiveness, and their cost (plus the merits of the program, et al).

I will definitely be contacting the schools to get some clarification. 

My concern is that I pay all of that money to not even be looked at or considered. I personally know doctors who messed up in their early years of undergrad and still went on to become successful MD's. I just want a chance is all. 

You're right, if you don't meet the minimum thresholds, you will not be considered. If you aren't there yet, don't piss away the money. Build up a strong applicant package with a GPA that meets or exceeds a programs minimum. Build up HCE, volunteer experience and craft an awesome personal statement. Then, after you apply, start prepping for interviews.

I'm sorry, but the tact of "I should just take xyz and go to med school", and "I know doctors who messed up" may not fly too well on a PA forum. If being a PA is the job you want, more than anything, you CAN get there. But, there are no shortcuts and it isn't going to be easy.

That being said, look around. Many people have been in similar situations and there are recommended strategies on threads on this forum. Best of luck to you.

What makes you think med schools would be more open to a sub-3.0 sGPA? Even if they don't have a cut-off, having a sub-3.0 sGPA is, for all intents and purposes, already puts you on the chopping block.

Just because you personally know doctors who "messed up in their early years of undergrad" does not automatically mean you are entitled to a chance. You'll earn your chance when you take enough sciences classes to make up for your prior mistakes. 

What makes you think med schools would be more open to a sub-3.0 sGPA? Even if they don't have a cut-off, having a sub-3.0 sGPA is, for all intents and purposes, already puts you on the chopping block.

Just because you personally know doctors who "messed up in their early years of undergrad" does not automatically mean you are entitled to a chance. You'll earn your chance when you take enough sciences classes to make up for your prior mistakes. 

Well, if I've retaken courses and received A's in them I think that makes up for my mistakes. 

Overall GPA doesn't show the entire picture. 

I emailed each school and asked them, but I'm sure I will get a generic answer along the lines of "applicants must meet all criteria."  

And If it's not possible for me to  be admitted, I will do one of two things: Go back and get a second bachelors degree in Biology and apply to PA school when I'm done OR take 4 or 5 more classes and apply to my state's D.O. program, and maybe an M.D. program too. The good part is I have no student loan debt. 

What drew me to PA school was that I could be out working in medicine in just 2.5 years instead of 4 more plus residency. But if PA schools aren't willing to accept me, then I need to look into other options. And if that means going to medical school, so be it. 

Lol you wont get into MD with those grades. Seriously just cause you know some doctors who screwed around and still made it doesnt mean thats the norm. Those doctors probably worked far harder to get into MD school and you just dont know of their full journey and struggles. MD schools dont do grade replacement but you got a shot at DO since they do.

"If that means going to med school then so be it" seems like such an aggrogant statement. I rank MD schools to be way more competitive than PA schools but DO schools seems to be equal in competition.

Whatever you decide on you need to commit to it or else youll just waste time

Just giving you guys an update on what the schools I emailed told me.

UTMB - No, if an applicant doesn't meet the GPA requirement they won't be considered for an interview

Baylor - The application would still get reviewed, but it is doubtful it would rank high enough for an interview 

UTSW - Application will not be considered, same as UTMB 

I'm still waiting to hear back from UNT, and I never could find a contact email for UT-Pan American. 

So technically, I DO have a chance at acceptance at Baylor from what they told me. And depending on what UNT and UT-PA say, I still might be considered. 

But as of right now, I'm going to focus on doing the best I can in future classes. Including the summer class I'm in right now (cell bio), I have 38 more hours left of undergrad. If need be I will do a post-bacc, possibly retake the pre-reqs I made a B in.

I just felt the need to clarify that medical terminology does not count toward your sGPA because it is listed under the "English" subject under CASPA's FAQ on course subjects. I was disappointed when I read that but it is what it is.

Archived