Should I stay or should I go?

Based on everything you have put out here - RUN, do not wait. Save your professional integrity and your personal sanity.

You deserve to be treated like a PA and practice like one since that is what you trained to do.

This doc sounds like he doesn't have a clue about practice or business and will ruin himself with or without you.

Thank him for the time and experience and GO QUICKLY!

My big problem is that he constantly tells me my job is to "make his life easier" and that I'm a PA, not an MD.  I'm not trying to be an MD!  I just want to function as a PA and not an overpaid medical assistant or as only a surgical assistant.

Yep, been there, done that. It's kind of an insulting position to be in with the amount of training we have---but at the same time you know very, very little about surgery as a new PA and it's hard to fill any other role. Surgeons have neither the time nor desire to teach you from the ground up. That's why I think surgery is crap for PAs. I know some people love it, but I haven't met many.

I'd say stick with it for 1 year to protect your CV and get the hell out. Or better yet, look for new work now and get out as soon as you are hired. CV be damned. This gig is setting you back as a PA and you need general medicine experience. You'll never be more than a glorified medical assistant with a DEA license here.

I wouldn't care about my CV or how long I stayed.

When I worked for a family practice and THE State Attorney General called me at home to ask if I had witnessed fraud - I knew my gut was right on - I had seen and heard things that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I started a furious search for a new position.

Now, when asked about this practice and why the short stay - I just say there were activities in the office that were ethically suspicious and the Attorney General called me to inquire about them.

No one asks any further questions and I do not elaborate - nothing gained by slamming them further - just quoted public knowledge.

Your future will entail questions about leaving. Best to stick to positives. "wanting to expand my skill set or take on a role with more autonomy or independent practice abilities".

Best of Luck

Archived