Interview invite = equal footing?

I think you answered your own question.  Every school's process of accepting students is different and some will value some aspects of a student's application more than others.  I wouldn't concern yourself with things outside of your control.  If you're lucky enough to be granted an interview, do your due diligence and research on the program, prepare your ass off and kill it.  It doesn't matter if you are on equal footing or not.  What matters is that if you are granted an interview, you have a shot. 

Personally, I don't buy into this. Yes, everyone who gets an interview has surpassed some magical threshold to get that far. You have the grades and references and personal statement that passed that test. However I wouldn't go so far as to say that once invited to interview your slate is clean and everyone starts with the same 'footing'. If two people interview the same and the school has to make a choice, they are going to go back and look at all those stats from the main application to decide.

But yes, this will vary based on schools. Some will always value the stats and others will place a lot of emphasis on the interview. Bottom line is that getting an interview means you passed the first test, as did everyone else who gets an interview.

Equal footing in a sense now you have a chance to "wow" them in person then sure.  My favorite program I know scores people out of 50 points for admission and the interview counts for 20.  Behind the scenes it's always a numbers game though if they are trying to be fair.

Archived