What are my chances of an Acceptance?

Hello. Thank you for reading and helping out a new applicant. I would like to know my chances of being accepted into a PA school, preferably in NY. I have not taken the GRE and I do not plan on taking it, so there are about 18 schools in NY I can apply to. I was in an international medical school for the first years (basic sciences) but I could not continue because of personal problems and because my school lost the only private loan they had, so there was no way for me to pay for the tuition. I did not take any of the USMLE exams. Here are my stats:

Undergrad: BS in Biology (overall GPA 3.0, Sci-GPA around 2.8)---Graduated in 2010.

Grad School: in-process of obtaining a Masters of Public Health Degree (current GPA: 3.81)

First-two years of International Medical School: overall GPA: 3.1 (last attendance: 2013)

I appreciate the help and an honest answer. I would like to stay in NY but I can apply to other states if necessary. Thank you for your time. I have shadowed PAs in the past and will do it again to get good letters. 

• Administrator

I can't see you getting in anywhere unless you explain very well why you're not going back to med school like you started to.  Frankly, your GPA is sub-par and I don't think partially sort-of succeeding at international med school is going to impress enough to make up for it: You say finances, and the interviewer in me says "yeah, right".  You're going to have to overcome that skepticism, and I don't think an in-process MPH is going to do that.

Should be able to get in somewhere if you play your cards right. Don't go applying to schools that place high emphasis on 3.5+.

What is your HCE like?

Thanks so much for your positive feedback. Applying to the schools aren't cheap, as you know, so I have to apply smartly, I guess. I was a hospitality volunteer for three years in the ED from 07-2010. During that time, I had the chance of shadowing few different PAs and physicians but I ended up going to a school outside of the country and did not get any LORs. I plan to volunteer again, hopefully by next week. I appreciate the feedback, have a good day. 

I can't see you getting in anywhere unless you explain very well why you're not going back to med school like you started to.  Frankly, your GPA is sub-par and I don't think partially sort-of succeeding at international med school is going to impress enough to make up for it: You say finances, and the interviewer in me says "yeah, right".  You're going to have to overcome that skepticism, and I don't think an in-process MPH is going to do that.

I appreciate the honest answer, rev ronin. I guess I do have a lot of explaining to do, but what I stated above is a fact. Not many offshore medical schools have federal loans so students like me have to rely on the private loans even though they have the worst interest rate that you have start paying each month right from the first semester. In order to get these private loans, you need a really good credit score, have to maintain a specific gpa, and so on. I have an excellent credit score and my gpa was more than the requirement, but the school lost the private loan towards the end of my 2nd year. And that was basically the end of my medical career because I didn't have the money and no bank in the US will give you a private loan for a school that is not in the US.

The point is, I hope to explain the other personal issue I had and the loan situation in the personal statement I write and I have to be ready to explain all this during an interview, if I get to the interview stage that is. Thanks for your time and your feedback. Have a good day. 

Thanks so much for your positive feedback. Applying to the schools aren't cheap, as you know, so I have to apply smartly, I guess. I was a hospitality volunteer for three years in the ED from 07-2010. During that time, I had the chance of shadowing few different PAs and physicians but I ended up going to a school outside of the country and did not get any LORs. I plan to volunteer again, hopefully by next week. I appreciate the feedback, have a good day. 

I meant hands-on experience where you were paid. Volunteering is great and looks good, but hands-on direct patient care will somewhat level the playing field when going up against former RNs, EMTs, RTs, Medics, etc with years of experience. 

I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.

I can't see you getting in anywhere unless you explain very well why you're not going back to med school like you started to. Frankly, your GPA is sub-par and I don't think partially sort-of succeeding at international med school is going to impress enough to make up for it: You say finances, and the interviewer in me says "yeah, right". You're going to have to overcome that skepticism, and I don't think an in-process MPH is going to do that.

Rev Ronin, specifically asking you because you have applied to my posts before. What if I have above a 3.5 in EVERYTHING aside from math. Algebra was so hard for me and taking several classes over in algebra really killed my math grade. What are your thoughts? I am taking a stats class. On track for a B+ or an A- from UNE, but I have already submitted my application to UC Davis with the math gpa of 2.5. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Hey there MaxPower!:)

Although I can't confirm your chances I can provide you with a little advice. I also reside in New York but I will be taking the GRE soon. Honestly, I'm not sure what your grades are in your pre requisites but if you have a C or below you should think about retaking them at a community college in order to raise up your cGPA and sGPA. As for the schools you're applying to (considering you're not taking the GRE), you should look into Suny Stony Brook, Hofstra, Touro, and Pace University.

To help with your financial issue and boost up your HCE hours, you should look into becoming a CNA, Medical Assistant, or Home Health Aide. I hope my advice helped!:)

Thanks for your advice and your opinions guys, I really appreciate it. I am going to apply to as many schools as I can afford and take my chances with the degree, the gpa, and the experience I have now and will get in the upcoming months. If I get in, great, otherwise I will work harder to be more competitive and apply for the following year. Thanks again and wish you all the very best!! :) 

• Administrator

Rev Ronin, specifically asking you because you have applied to my posts before. What if I have above a 3.5 in EVERYTHING aside from math. Algebra was so hard for me and taking several classes over in algebra really killed my math grade. What are your thoughts? I am taking a stats class. On track for a B+ or an A- from UNE, but I have already submitted my application to UC Davis with the math gpa of 2.5. Thank you!

You know, when people have that one imperfection... it kinda makes them human.  I myself am ridiculously good at most math, but I know plenty of people who are not.  Use that, when you have a weakness that is obvious on your transcript, to talk about how you improved your study habits, adapted, and overcame it.  That's a lot more interesting than a picture-perfect 3.8 that never has a discernable flaw.  Be willing to discuss that in your interviews, have a good story, and it may turn out even better for you than if you had a perfect math background, because one of the things interviewers are looking for is how you handle adversity and failure.

Archived