Ortho Residency or start working?

I am an upcoming grad in a couple of weeks and have always seen myself doing ortho. I have a few options after graduation. I was recently accepted into an ortho surg residency, I also have a job offer in sports med where I would have to relocate, and I also have a job offer at a local level 1 trauma hospital in ortho trauma. Both jobs are split clinic and or and I can see myself being happy doing either job.

My question is, is it worth it to do an ortho residency when I have job offers in ortho?

For me a lot of it would depend on who the residency is through, what your exposure during that residency will be, what the educational foundation is etc.

If it's a crap residency where you are just being used as cheap labor for 6mos-1yr then just take the job.

If it's an accredited residency program at a reputable center who has experience with this style of training then do as EM said.

yes, do the residency, then if you still want those same jobs a year from now they will have to offer you more money and a better scope of practice...

Deff not true. They dont "have" to do anything. I shadowed at an ortho practice with 2 PAs. One had done a residency and had ~10 years experience as a PA in ortho. The other was a new grad and this was his first job. They both had the exact same scope of practice and just split the patient load. Salary was also comparable.

Deff not true. They dont "have" to do anything. I shadowed at an ortho practice with 2 PAs. One had done a residency and had ~10 years experience as a PA in ortho. The other was a new grad and this was his first job. They both had the exact same scope of practice and just split the patient load. Salary was also comparable.

If a PA with 10 years of experience is making about the same as a new grad, they are selling themselves short and are probably not a good comparison.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

then the residency grad was selling himself short and the scope of practice for the new grad was too broad...residency grads are able to find the best jobs and best scope of practice for the most money if they have a little initiative...

I've interviewed several residency grads at this point at my primary job. we've hired 3, but 1 held out for more money (and reasonably so) and I pointed her in the direction of a job that paid more. a residency will at least get you an interview and likely a job offer. the individual has to decide if they really want to live in a given area and if the scope of practice will make them happy. residency grads, given their procedure logs, have less trouble than others getting privileges for procedural sedation, LPs, etc. We just hired a residency grad last year who is 2 yrs out of school now and has the same privileges as I do. we have other PAs in the group there longer than me who can't do LPs, procedural sedation, etc.

Thank you everyone for your responses and advice. It is much appreciated.

For me a lot of it would depend on who the residency is through, what your exposure during that residency will be, what the educational foundation is etc.

If it's a crap residency where you are just being used as cheap labor for 6mos-1yr then just take the job.

If it's an accredited residency program at a reputable center who has experience with this style of training then do as EM said.

It is in a populous area of the midwest.

• 2 weeks later...

then the residency grad was selling himself short and the scope of practice for the new grad was too broad...residency grads are able to find the best jobs and best scope of practice for the most money if they have a little initiative...

Ok so Im not sure about the salary but on the clinic days that I shadowed they did EXACTLY the same job. The would give a bunch of cortisone shots, evaluate patients to determine if they needed surgery, and then they would both leave by 1pm~ to go to the OR. The doc was not present during the PA clinic day. I didnt shadow in the OR but both described their job as being first assist. The younger PA did a 3 year PA program and his current job is at the same university hospital system he went to PA school.

What would the guy with 10 years experience + residency be expected to do that the new guy can't? Its not like they are going to let him do the surgery or something.

EDIT: Also the new grad isn't that new anymore. He graduated in 2013 so he has been working this job for 2+ years now. I just thought of him as new because 2013 is still pretty recent.

residency grads actually do a lot more of the procedure. one of my best friends is a surgical pa. when they do b/l procedures(say knee replacements) in the OR the doc does one and he does the other at the same time. so yes, a residency grad can do a LOT more in the OR than a new grad...

Archived