Nevada White Paper form primary care PA Autonomy

Guest Paula

The author, Brian Sady has asked for support from PAs and to share this paper with your state boards.

I think if you send it to the stakeholders in your area it is ok.  We need the national discussion to happen and for state legislators to be aware that PAs are due for parity/equity with NPs. 

Guest Paula

The goal should be to send this to every state chapter. So far WI. CA and WA are covered. Let's keep track.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

it's funny how many folks are ok with independence for PAs who are against name change...both will be hard, but name change is likely the easier of the two to accomplish. maybe tie them both together in legislation? Those PAs who want to take advantage of optional independence will be called physician associates. those who prefer the status quo will remain assistants....RC Davis and I have discussed on here before how the future for PAs will likely involve 2 classes of PAs. maybe this will be that future...

Guest Paula

Hey guys....I sent edits to Brian and  most of those errors you found were corrected.  You all might be reading the first draft that went around.  

The affectively  vs effectively is still up for debate.   I suggested effectively although my handy dandy dictionary made me believe either could be used.  

Yes, I still have one of those large and heavy bound tomes called a dictionary. 

Guest Paula

^^^^ The paper addresses primary care and my reading of the definition means it could apply to all areas.

I agree that autonomy is all settings is needed.   PAs first have to address the old PA guard who see us as assistants and change will come when the state PA academies elect forward thinking PAs.  It is time for the younger PAs to rise up to the challenge and to run for positions. We also need PAs in academia who support autonomy. 

• Administrator

You know, I'm tempted to throw the old guard under the bus and outright say "Only PAs with masters' degrees should have independent practice."  I know there's little functional difference between the old programs and the new, but the PR value of saying "Masters' degrees or higher only", combined with the fact that we have had bridge programs to masters' level for years, makes me think it's an acceptable cost to force older graduates to get a masters' if they want to take advantage of a rename and independent practice.

You know, I'm tempted to throw the old guard under the bus and outright say "Only PAs with masters' degrees should have independent practice."  I know there's little functional difference between the old programs and the new, but the PR value of saying "Masters' degrees or higher only", combined with the fact that we have had bridge programs to masters' level for years, makes me think it's an acceptable cost to force older graduates to get a masters' if they want to take advantage of a rename and independent practice.

I could live with that compromise (says the guy 8 weeks away from his doctorate....:) )

I disagree, which I rarely do with you rev.  For decades our profession said that we are competency-based.  A PA is one who graduates from an approved program and passes NCCPA.  We should not have levels of PAs: some deserve autonomy, some don't.  Many of the best PAs I know graduated in the days before master's degrees.  They are highly experienced, well-trained and competent, and deserving of autonomy.  Also, let's not compromise before the debate even begins.

• Administrator

LKPAC, what I've seen in the press, year after year, is people assuming the least possible level of education in discussions about PAs: "Nurse practitioners must have been practicing nurses before going back for a Masters' Degree [sic], while PAs often have some experience as a CNA or EMT before graduating from a certificate program".  That's hyperbole and nonsense, of course, since all of the certificate (and associate and most of the bachelor's) grads had 10,000+ hours direct patient care experience before school, but it cannot be an accident or simply poor reporting to see the sub-Masters' levels batted around so easily in the press when those haven't been mainstream options for years.

I agree in principle with not compromising before opening a negotiation, but we're dealing not with a single entity, but politics based on public opinion.  And public opinion, like it or not, places value on degrees.  It's also fickle and has an inappropriately long memory sometimes, so if we're going to make a grand foray into the public arena, the things opponents of such a move would highlight can become a liability not easily jettisoned--like the "assistant" moniker.

I have no doubt that every sub-Masters'-degree holding PA is at least as good, or better, clinically, than any of us Masters'-holding PAs, and it pains me to advocate a style-over-substance move like this, but it's not like the writing hasn't been on the wall for years.

^^^^ The paper addresses primary care and my reading of the definition means it could apply to all areas.

I agree that autonomy is all settings is needed. PAs first have to address the old PA guard who see us as assistants and change will come when the state PA academies elect forward thinking PAs. It is time for the younger PAs to rise up to the challenge and to run for positions. We also need PAs in academia who support autonomy.

Paula I will read it again. I think I must have missed that. I thought it was only Primary Care. If what you said is the case, I'm even more ecstatic!!

P.S. I was thinking specifically about autonomy in Emergency Med.

Forgot to let everyone know...

I am in possession of a letter from a CEO of a large and prominent malpractice insurance company that states if PAs gain autonomy in Nevada, or any other state, they will be insured and supported. This letter is from March 2015. 

Hope this brightens your day PA profession.

Forgot to let everyone know...

I am in possession of a letter from a CEO of a large and prominent malpractice insurance company that states if PAs gain autonomy in Nevada, or any other state, they will be insured and supported. This letter is from March 2015. 

Hope this brightens your day PA profession.

you are so the MAN!

• 2 months later...

Archived