Malpractice for independent contractor?

• 1 month later...

most per diem positions(at least on the west coast) include malpractice but no other benefits. Speaking personally, I would never take a position which did not purchase me an adequate malpractice policy in my own name. the cost of purchasing an individual policy for a pa in emergency medicine is over $6000/yr (although some programs will try to fool you into purchasing a policy by increasing the cost from $1500 to $6000/yr over 2-3 years).

most per diem positions(at least on the west coast) include malpractice but no other benefits. Speaking personally, I would never take a position which did not purchase me an adequate malpractice policy in my own name. the cost of purchasing an individual policy for a pa in emergency medicine is over $6000/yr (although some programs will try to fool you into purchasing a policy by increasing the cost from $1500 to $6000/yr over 2-3 years).

Almost all policies do this and I was "tricked" until it was explained to me. A new policy "matures" because as time goes by and you see more patients you possibility of being sued goes up. I'm sure there is some variance by state by my policies here (in Texas) mature in 2-4 years at which time they have reached their highest annual rate. The difference between year one and year four is pretty substantial.

Archived