I need some answers

I’m in my 3rd semester of PA School right now- and I feel as though I need some answers for what my program has been doing. I want to know if this is typical of PA programs and, if anyone has this expertise, the legality of all of this. I apologize, but this may be a long post. I encourage you to read it through till the end! 

My program faculty are notorious for not letting people reschedule exams for family matters. However, they let our straight A student delay an exam by 3 days because she had a bad cold. 

Recently, one of our students had a family emergency in which her younger sibling (only 2 years old) was in an accident and suffered 3rd degree burns on 30% of her body. This happened yesterday. The faculty will not let her reschedule the 2 exams we have today and Friday. She was given the choice to either take the exams, or leave the program. 

First semester, a different student's father was in a MVA that left him in critical condition. They forced her to take 3 exams that week or be dismissed from the program. She was later dismissed from the program. 

In addition to this horrible, insensitive, and seemingly biased (a cold >> an immediate family member in critical condition??) policy, we were made aware on Monday of this week that the tuition for our program is has been raised by  $12,000 (meaning a ~$2,000 hike this semester). For reference, our current total tuition and fees total to <$23,000. So this is a very substantial increase. Our tuition is due August 7th, and the majority of the class has already accepted loans, that no longer are enough to cover this semester's tuition. Our cost of attendance has not yet been adjusted (though they have said it will be) so additional funds aren't even available yet. When we call the financial aid department at the school they have no idea how to get us the extra money. 

But that is not all... the incoming class has not been notified that tuition is increased by over 1/3! I hate to say it, but money is a factor when choosing a PA school. This tuition increase could affect their choice to attend this program over another and it is just plain unfair that they don’t know.

Yesterday, my program director sent out an email. In the email it said “The surcharge was discussed with a large group of your classmates (including the class officers) and the general consensus was to move forward.”

I had many questions. Who was this cohort of students? Why did I know nothing about it? I would have loved to be in that cohort. After all, it’s my money at stake. I should at least have been permitted to vote for someone to represent me in the cohort, an elected representative from my class to represent my interests.

Slowly the details emerged. The semester this “voting” happened, the program director was teaching our H&P course. He scheduled an optional review to go over one of our SOAP write ups. At the tail end of this optional meeting to review academic material, the students present were asked if they wanted to “improve their educational experience” and would be okay if a tuition increased in order to do so.

The program director said he wanted a vote. Students asked how much tuition would be raised if it increased, but the program director said he needed a vote quickly as class was due to start at 11 am. He did not give them any financial details and insisted they vote. There were 8 students present, apparently representing our class of nearly 40.

These students voted to “improve their educational experience” with no idea of what that might mean. In addition, they were told this would not affect them until January 2016 at the earliest.

This entire voting process was misleading and unclear. I expect transparency when it comes to matters such as finances.

My question to you, people of the PA forum, is do I have any options? First, is there a way to formally change our policy for exemption from exams? There is no reason a cold should trump a sick loved one. It makes me sick to my stomach just thinking about my fellow classmates having to pick between their futures as PAs and their families. Second, what do you all think about the tuition increase? Is there a way to ensure this doesn’t happen again? Is it unethical or against any laws? Per our state, you must prove you have consulted students before petitioning to increase tuition for a graduate or professional program. If his only “consult” was the misleading vote he took during an optional review session, is that okay?

Thank you for reading this. I would like to remain anonymous and for the program name to remain anonymous.

What are the school's policies and the State's laws or board of trustees policies about rate increases (mainly, when they can take effect)? What are the school's policies about test exemptions or rescheduling? If you can't find these online, contact the school, not the program, for the policies. Don't tell them why, just get the policy. That is your starting point: trying to locate an objective deviation from the norm.

Not typical of my program at all. This would never happen where I am. That being said, I'm not sure how you should proceed. Check the student handbook, the university rules and regulations, and reach out anonymously if possible to your program director's superior, dean, etc with your concerns in a professional manner.

I've been thinking about the testing issue a bit more.  It's policy at my undergrad program that a test may be rescheduled for any medical issue with documentation from a provider.  If your program has the same policy, and the student had the documentation, that's why she was allowed to reschedule.  The programs have no lee way in what is appropriate for that or not.

Their policy may also say something to the effect of "only documented medical issues for the student" may allow for rescheduling.  If such a policy does not include provisions for family (parent or sibling), or is limited to just immediate household (spouse, child), then the program could not allow for rescheduling.  Is it a bit 'cold'? Yes, but the program may have decided to never deviate from their policy.  In which case they may be bastards, but at least they are consistent bastards.

Still don't know what to make about the tuition bit, though.  I'm curious about their documented policies.

The only mention of tuition in the handbook refers you to the program website, where tuition is currently listed as "~22,000" for the entire 27 month program... so this does not reflect the 12k increase.  Some of us actually talked to our faculty advisors today (who were unaware of how this was handled, and some actually said they opposed the increase and had wanted it to be more gradual)- they told us we should talk to the Dean. We have decided to write a formal "grievance" and meet with him to discuss it on Monday. 

Just to play devils advocate a little bit....you may not know the whole story for either the student with the cold or the students with other family issues. There could be other issues at play there more than just reasons for needing an exam moved.

It doesn't sound fair, but unless one of those students is you, it's not really your business to worry about.

As for tuition, most places usually stipulate that tuition may increase. I actually haven't heard of a program committing to dictating the tuition for the ENTIRE program ahead of time. Usually it's 'this is the yearly rate, it may increase'. You can certainly see what you can do about fighting back, but I urge you to keep in mind that you can usually submit loan recalculation forms and your end goal is to be a PA so keep that your focus. B

Since you're playing devils advocate, and I'm not sure if you really feel that way....  I'm going to reiterate my side of it and why it is indeed my business (and every other student in the program's business) to know what the policies are for rescheduling an exam. I want the reassurance, that if I had a family emergency, my future as a PA wouldn't be jeopardized if I needed to be there for my family. That's the reason I think its an issue. Forget the girl with a cold. I'm more worried about the fact that if something legitimate happens to a family member of mine, and they are in critical condition, I could get dismissed from the program for missing a test to be with them.

As for the tuition, the increase sucks- its increasing by over half of what it started as. However, more disturbing to me is that our program director lied about it and lied to whomever was voting on it saying that the students had been consulted. Like I said earlier, per the regulations set forth by my state, he had to " present evidence to ensure that students in the affected graduate and/or professional programs have been consulted." If his informal vote during a non-mandatory review session where the students were given sparse and misleading information is his idea of "consulted" then I think there is something wrong. 

It sounds like you are in a tough situation. If your objective is to get through it, then do that. I echo the comments of the poster who said that you may not understand the details of each individual's attempt to get the exam rescheduled. There is a lot of injustice in this world and, unless you know all of the details, I can't see getting worked up over it.

Keep your head down and graduate. You may indeed be in a crappy program, but unfortunately, that's where you are. You can't easily transfer. 

The tuition increase is another matter. You need to check on your university's policies on that. Again, don't get worked up over the next class: worry about you.

I was fortunate to go to a program that guaranteed our tuition for the full 27 months. It changed cohort-by-cohort. $22,000 is a steal though; I paid a lot more than that 11 years ago. Your program was awkward about increasing it, but I suspect they weren't charging enough to make expenses for a class of 40.

Bottom line: there is a lot in the world to get upset about. Change what you can and let the rest slide. Your objective is to graduate, not to right all the wrongs in your program or wonder what would happen to you if you got in an auto accident.

Good luck!

I actually disagree with the previous posts, and think you should consider organizing a meeting among you and your classmates to discuss filing a formal complaint and/or taking legal action.  They hiked your tuition substantially, and justified it by fabricating a "student vote" that was, as you mentioned, not transparent but rather intentially misconstrued the details of what was being voted on.  You also are having trouble getting the appropriate financial aid due to the sudden tuition hike, which is unethical at the very least, and possibly against school policy.

Document everything that has transpired. Put it all in writing.  Then, file a formal complaint.  If it is not heard, then talk with a lawyer (you may be able to find one that can give you a free consultation) to see if it is reasonable to pursue legal action.   Do this as a group of at least half your classmates to ensure that none of you will be bullied or intimidated by the administration.

Do you really want to graduate from a program that seems to be doing shady and innapropriate things?  If they keep up this behavior, it will damage the reputation of the school and, eventually, will dilute the weight of all the graduates who have received degrees there.

Only in old westerns was it a good idea to try to kill your opponent. In real life, your opponents often have to be faced again, and again, and again. Whatever happens in this case, the most likely scenario is that, in approximately one year, you will be trying to graduate from this "shady" program. Having a formal meeting, lodging a formal complaint, calling a lawyer, and antagonizing the faculty will not help you much with that.

I suggest you personally go to the college's financial offices and calmly learn if your program is within the school's regulations for the tuition change. If it is, then you likely are where you are and no amount of lawyering is going to do much, other than possibly antagonize the very people whose help you will need to graduate and make all those bills you have paid mean something.

At that point -- after your research -- your best approach might be to request, as a class, that the program implements cohort-based pricing so that students can come to school knowing what it's going to cost to get through. That would let them start collecting more money -- which they probably need -- and still make life more predictable for students, many of whom probably will have student loans.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to let everyone who followed this know that we did get $600 taken off of our most recent bill and the policy for tuition raises in the college was modified after we went to the Dean. The $600 at least made it so that people who hadn't taken loans because they could cover the initial tuition weren't just out of luck and unable to pay. This situation was still handled incorrectly, and completely unprofessionally, but this was at least something. The larger win I think is the change of the policy- since this means they listen to us, agreed that this was handled poorly, and took action to make sure it didn't happen again. 

Archived