Is there an NP to PA bridge program?

let us know the response.

I will. I read that he wants to become Lt. Gov of California so this might not go anywhere even for the NPs as he will be leaving the Senate. But we'll see what he says. CAPA has yet to respond to the email I sent them about Sady's white paper.

Sent from my S5 Active...Like you care...

Actually my email was not sent. I tried to send it from work and I thought it went through because it brought me back to his homepage after I clicked submit. Our internet at work blocks certain functions and tends to hang in some pages.  I tried it again to get a confirmation and in red it stated "Address is not in district, please contact your representative in your district." SO I printed out my letter and faxed it.  So unless you live in the West Covina area, you wont be able to send him an email uggh. Hopefully he gets the fax.

Here is the letter:

Dear Senator Hernandez,

As a practicing Physician Assistant (PA) in California, I was disappointed to learn that PAs were not included in your bill SB323 which would have given Nurse Practitioners (NP) independent, unsupervised practice in California.  Although this bill was defeated recently, I am confident that this issue will be revisited in time and inevitably pass.  It is my request that you consider including PAs in any bill that would grant independence to non-physician providers.  In this provider shortage that California faces, I believe PAs are part of the solution.  We have the training, and ability to perform as Licensed Independent Practitioners and, along with our other colleagues, make an impact in the shortage. 

We have been providing excellent medical care in all medical specialties for almost 50 years in all 50 states and our medical training is very intensive and rigorous.  Many PAs perform at the same level as NPs and in many cases, the same level as our MD/DO colleagues.  

As a primary care PA, I have managed my own panel of patients where I treated complex medical conditions like HIV/AIDS,to cancer, CVD, DM, and other conditions, with very minimal oversight by a physician. There are even PAs who own their own clinics and are forced to hire a physician just for the minimal chart review required  by current law.  A bill that would grant PAs independence would eliminate this formality.

I urge you to please include PAs in any bills you author that would grant Advanced Practice Clinicians full practice independence.  It is good for patients, good for the state and good for Californians.

If you wish to speak about this further, please feel free to email me, or if you prefer to speak in person, please feel free to call me. I look forward to your response.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Very Respectfully,

Joelseff, MS, PA-C
Primary Care PA
  • Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 7/18/2015 at 2:18 AM, Joelseff said:

They definitely have better politics. I still think our training is better but that's kind of pointless when they're kicking our @$$e$ in the political and public arena. We need to elevate our political presence ASAP and maybe a profession wide paradigm shift into recognizing we should (at some point) be able to be independent without having to go to med school. If NPs are independent with less hours of training (and before NP proponents jump in with the "they were RNs for years before" nonsense, I argue that now with direct entry NP programs, this is not really a valid argument as our "we were medics, RNs, RTs, etc before..." since we are taking bachelor degree holding scribes in to our programs. So that point is a push) we should be able to be independent as well. It's gotta start with our leadership though and we all know how that goes.

Edit: JF I don't work for KP. I work for a small 2 hospital system in the suburbs.

Sent from my S5 Active...Like you care...

I know this is a 6 year old posting, but very interesting.  When I think about the PAs, I liken it to the Chiro profession.  Firstly, the name is off - maybe lobbying from that point will make a huge difference.  I will sound illiterate but when I first hear PA I thought it was like a nursing assistant. When I think of the training, knowledge, skills and brilliancy of PAs the name is totally off putting. Just my 2 cents. You see your own patients and you are not assisting anyone. Luckily many states are acknowledging this..

Thank God for the DMSc... it definitely elevates the PA profession.   

On 8/9/2015 at 1:35 AM, Joelseff said:

Dear Senator Hernandez,

As a practicing Physician Assistant (PA) in California, I was disappointed to learn that PAs were not included in your bill SB323 which would have given Nurse Practitioners (NP) independent, unsupervised practice in California.  Although this bill was defeated recently, I am confident that this issue will be revisited in time and inevitably pass.  It is my request that you consider including PAs in any bill that would grant independence to non-physician providers.  In this provider shortage that California faces, I believe PAs are part of the solution.  We have the training, and ability to perform as Licensed Independent Practitioners and, along with our other colleagues, make an impact in the shortage. 

We have been providing excellent medical care in all medical specialties for almost 50 years in all 50 states and our medical training is very intensive and rigorous.  Many PAs perform at the same level as NPs and in many cases, the same level as our MD/DO colleagues.  

As a primary care PA, I have managed my own panel of patients where I treated complex medical conditions like HIV/AIDS,to cancer, CVD, DM, and other conditions, with very minimal oversight by a physician. There are even PAs who own their own clinics and are forced to hire a physician just for the minimal chart review required  by current law.  A bill that would grant PAs independence would eliminate this formality.

I urge you to please include PAs in any bills you author that would grant Advanced Practice Clinicians full practice independence.  It is good for patients, good for the state and good for Californians.

If you wish to speak about this further, please feel free to email me, or if you prefer to speak in person, please feel free to call me. I look forward to your response.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Very Respectfully,

Joelseff, MS, PA-C
Primary Care PA

The senator stopped reading after he saw the word "assistant"....

• Like 1