Locum Tenens

Good morning!

I am currently in my clinical year and thus far still haven't totally figured out what I "want to do when I grow up". I have a few specialties in mind, but have not narrowed anything down. My boyfriend and I want to do a little adventuring before we settle in, and we were considering doing some wilderness or other locum tenen type work for awhile until I figure it out. I have been very indecisive in my future - there is so much I'd like to do, medicine-wise!

I realize some locums likely are not well-suited for new graduates, but was hoping that some of you seasoned PAs may have good ideas for future graduates in this realm.

We currently live in the Midwest and are hoping for a few months to a year of locums in Montana, Alaska, Wyoming, or anywhere similar. We would consider leaving the country, too, although I imagine the headache of doing so would be too great...

Any feedback or guidance is appreciated. I do not graduate until May, but am hoping to have a plan - either to stay and find a job, or go and travel around - by the time I take my boards.

Thank you in advance!

We currently live in the Midwest and are hoping for a few months to a year of locums in Montana, Alaska, Wyoming, or anywhere similar. We would consider leaving the country, too, although I imagine the headache of doing so would be too great...

If you are anywhere near a "typical new PA graduate" (ie: very young, minimal prior medical experience, etc), then this is a terrible idea for you.

You named off some low population places, which means you will likely be single coverage ED and/or clinic.  If you don't have SIGNIFICANT prior healthcare experience (ie: paramedic, ED nurse, etc) then you will very likely be thrown to the wolves, and the wolves will kill your patients.  

If you are a prior paramedic or ED nurse, then go for it.  Otherwise, get some experience under your belt before you fly solo.  Your patients, and your patient's families, will appreciate it. 

Just my $.02

Archived