State residency status?

I'm stumped on the state residency status question. I don't want to answer incorrectly and get charged the wrong tuition rate or not be considered for admission.

I was born in SC and moved to GA a little over a year ago. I always planned to move back to SC. I rent a home and work in GA but my driver's license, car registration, voter registration, bank addresses, credit card addresses, mailing address, etc are all still in SC. I have no family in GA except for my spouse, who coincidently was pulled over this past week for having SC plates (and a faulty brake light) and informed he needed to switch all of his information to GA.

So which state would I say that I am a resident of? GA or SC? I am applying to schools in SC, GA, NC, FL, and TN.

Have you been in GA for more than 12 months? Did you pay income tax to Georgia for 2014? If the answer is yes to both, you are a GA resident. 

I have been in GA for more than 12 months though I have taken many trips back home to SC. I paid income taxes to both GA and SC in 2014. I would still be classified as a GA resident, correct?

Bottom line is the only connection to SC that you legally have are your license which you should have transferred to GA when you moved. Just because you 'plan' to move back doesn't count as being a SC resident. Trips home don't count. You paid taxes there bc you were a part year resident but if you also paid them for GA, then that is your current residence.

Really the only time you can get away with claiming residency in one state (SC for you) while actually being in another (GA) is if you are a dependent and your parents maintain residency in the first state.

Basically if you had switched your license and plates after you moved to GA like you are legally supposed to (most states give you 30 days to get it done) you would have no ties to SC. You are a GA resident that needs to update your license and such ASAP. The intent to move back doesn't mean you can keep your info in SC. Only if you are still paying rent or something in SC could you have legally kept your status as a SC resident.

Archived