Best schools to apply with a lower overall GPA, and an older student

I'm 34, worked for several years before college, graduated with 3.20 GPA according to CASPA, with GRE total score of 316.  I've worked as a EMT for the past 2 years, with over 1800 hours of direct health care experience, along with 75 hours of PA shadowing. My home state is KY, so I've applied to UK, along with Sullivan University and the LMU PA program. What other programs should I consider with my GPA, given that most programs seem to have at least a 3.5 average?

cGPA and sGPA are below average. 1800 HCE is alot to me, but I think that's still pretty average statistically. Overall, your application is slightly below average but half the people that get in are below average. Your GPA isn't the problem. Hundreds of people get accepted with your GPA. Apply to any schools with a 3.5 average I would recommend. Duke and Midwestern are probably out of the question. 

Standard response:

Surf the directory at directory.paeaonline.org; look through your prospective school's admissions page for matriculated student data.  Make a list of schools with your GPA range and apply to those which have other criteria and pre-reqs which you already have.

It takes time, but break it up into chunks.  I was able to go through every single school in that directory within a few days and come up with a list of schools at which I have a competitive application.

How are your last 40 units?

Eastern Virginia Medical School's PA program may be a good choice for you because the recalculate your gpa with last 40. They also have an older average age of students. They also do not use GRE scores.

Also, if your required class are not As try retaking them at a community college!

Don't get discouraged over averages! An average means there are gpa'a higher AND lower. Average is just the middle.

Archived