What does your MA do for you?

• Administrator

I've worked in two very different practice settings so far, and the MA role was quite different in each:

1) The MA takes vitals, records them in the EMR, gets the patient's CC and other complaints set up in a nursing note, and then comes and discusses the patient with the provider.

2) The MA takes vitals, notes them in the paper chart, no other conversation info between the MA is captured or handed off, places the paper chart in the chart holder beside the exam room door, and then dings a bell to let the provider know the next patient is ready.

What's interesting is that in the 2nd setting, the MAs do cryo (e.g., skin tags) while in the first setting, it was the providers' job to do so.

I'm curious as to which is more common, and how folks prefer to work with their support staff.  Thoughts?

My MA,

1) Comes in the morning and preps all my EHR visits for the day, including copying and pasting vital information from previous visits,

2) Checks in the patient, takes their co-pays, looks for outstanding balances and collects those,

3) New patient, will gather all their medical history and medications,

4) Take vitals and enters them,

5) Screens phone calls while I'm with a patient and sends me messages. Then calls the patient back with my responses,

6) Screens all incomeing Rx refill request to make sure the patient has kept prior appointments and if not, calls and schedules them for follow up,

7) Checks the patient out and schedules there next appointment,

8) Proof reads my web page postings and formal letters I must write lawyers and etc.

9) Cleans the office at the end of the day, unless I do it first (when I get done before she does).

Guest Paula

My MA rooms the patient, takes vitals, enters a CC, does the diabetic foot exam if needed, hands the patient their after visit summary that says smoking cessation and obesity were discussed so they can click the boxes for MU, does the depression screen enters the score in the EHR, asks the patient if they can update their immunizations and if yes, then get the order from me so they can prep the vaccine while I'm seeing the patient, and will schedule the mammo and refer for colonoscopy while I'm in the room.  

She also sends me ecoms for patients who need controlled substance med renewal, and if ok'd will set up the script, print it, and bring it to me to sign.  She will also automatically renew chronic meds such as anithypertensives, cholesterol, etc. and send off to pharmacy by the EHR. 

This is why I have 30 minute visits.  The MA has lots they are expected to do and they are tired at the end of the day.  Her visit takes 15 minutes of my 30 minute slot.  So far it works. 

I get 15 minutes with the patient to discuss their issue and make the treatment plan.  When I write this all down I realize how much the MA does and I really, really, really appreciate all she does. 

My MA's help me out a ton. I'd be there 12 hours a day if it werent for them. They:

- Room patients and get vitals, blood, urine.

- Record CC and vitals in EMR

- Assist on simple procedures and PAPs

- Do all my prior auths

- Do almost all of my phone calls (labs, results, etc). If it's a "big" result I typically will call the patient.

- Call in med refills

- Print scripts if I ask them to

- Make all referral appts and imaging appts, including STATs

- Deal with the pharmacy micromanaging my Rxs

- Vaccines, injections, etc

Really all I do is see the patient and chart. There are some calls here and there, some insurance or FMLA paperwork, but not much.

My MA rooms the patient, takes vitals, enters a CC, does the diabetic foot exam if needed, hands the patient their after visit summary that says smoking cessation and obesity were discussed so they can click the boxes for MU, does the depression screen enters the score in the EHR, asks the patient if they can update their immunizations and if yes, then get the order from me so they can prep the vaccine while I'm seeing the patient, and will schedule the mammo and refer for colonoscopy while I'm in the room.

She also sends me ecoms for patients who need controlled substance med renewal, and if ok'd will set up the script, print it, and bring it to me to sign. She will also automatically renew chronic meds such as anithypertensives, cholesterol, etc. and send off to pharmacy by the EHR.

This is why I have 30 minute visits. The MA has lots they are expected to do and they are tired at the end of the day. Her visit takes 15 minutes of my 30 minute slot. So far it works.

I get 15 minutes with the patient to discuss their issue and make the treatment plan. When I write this all down I realize how much the MA does and I really, really, really appreciate all she does.

Bet the ma gets paid garbage. That's the problem in my office. They do EVERYTHING in a high stress surgical sub spec and are paid minimum wage.

Archived