2015-2016 app cycle

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re-applicant as well. Got this in the email today:

Good news! Your application has been processed and sent to the Department of Physician Assistant Studies’ Admissions Committee for review. Should you be selected for an interview, we will contact you via email to schedule a convenient interview date. We will provide you with additional details at that time.

*crosses fingers*

• 2 weeks later...

So went to todays "preview day" and it was informative.

One of the clinical instructors was the presenter. She was funny and nice. She talked about the school and what to expect during the program.

The most important part (well for me) was the ability to ask questions to one of the admissions coordinator. The most important question i wanted to know is how they elect people for interviews? It sounds (anyone can correct me if im wrong) that everyone is pretty much ranked by GPA,  top to bottom. They pick your lowest GPA, may it be science or cumulative then rank you with that. Sounds like they start at the top (highest GPA) and work their way down. It seems like anyone below a 3.2 is well.. (SOL) out of luck. Don't know why they even have a minimum of 2.7, if they pretty much say 3.2 is a cutoff. i guess for leeway. They use your prereq GPA as another tool to rank you. 

They also are sending out interview emails earlier than usual to be more competitive with other schools. They will have interviews in Jan and Feb.   so im guessing in Nov/Dec we will know if you get selected for an interview. 

the interview process is in a MMI format. If you get to that interview, acceptance will all be on your interview skills. Everyone will be on the same playing field. 

It seems like the staff is pretty friendly and willing to answer any questions. Just email them. 

Good Luck!

@medmedic thanks for sharing!!

They are definitely reviewing applications because I got an email last week stating they would not approve a few of my courses. I had to send them the syllabi and course descriptions, and a few days later I got an email saying my application was forwarded to the admissions committee for review.

Good luck to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Last years cut off was at 3.28 which is very high. 3.2 on average is the cut off. It may get higher as the years go on and students become more competitive for this profession. 

Was this said on your Preview Day? When I went months ago, we were told that 3.2 was the average GPA for applicants rather than interviewees.

• 1 month later...

Typically the cut off was 3.2, but I was told by Mrs. Lopez on a day Jeanene was on vacation that 3.28 was the cut off last year because the competition increased! So, I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. I wish you all the same!

Which gpa did they use for the cutoff? Overall, science, prerequisite?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Has anyone heard back regarding their recalculated grades?

It is easy to re-calculate your GPA with the repeated courses on your own.  I don't think that they will tell you what your re-calculated GPA will be. 

You can use this tool to help you the new GPA.

http://gpacalculator.net/college-gpa-calculator/

good luck

It is easy to re-calculate your GPA with the repeated courses on your own. I don't think that they will tell you what your re-calculated GPA will be.

You can use this tool to help you the new GPA.

http://gpacalculator.net/college-gpa-calculator/

good luck

They do tell you. You should get an email from the counselor then a follow up for interview or rejection.

Did anyone get an email about preview day? Is that just an information session?

It's a preview day for the while campus but they have info sessions for the specific programs during the event. Highly recommend going in case they ask during interview

Archived