loans for personal expenses

Hey everyone, will be starting PA school at my instate program this fall and my parents have agreed to pay the entire tuition. However, that leaves me to take care of my own living expenses. I'm only looking to take out ~10k in loans to pay for rent/books/other expenses and supplement with the money I've saved prior to starting school. Was wondering what the best route would be to take out these loans, going the federal route through FAFSA or just taking out a private loan.

Thanks!

Yikes! Consider your self very blessed. If your EFI is low enough FAFSA loans are the way to go, however depending on age or tax situations you might have to claim parents - The rules change often - which might leave you high and dry.   I wouldn't worry about 20k or less in loans, even if they are private loans - but you gotta be very confident in your ability to pay those off in your first year. 

Right now fed (direct loans) are 4.2 / 5.8 / 6.4  sub/unsub/plus respectively.  Private loans, man that's a hard guess, but they can be variable and shoot as high as 11%! But if you only have the loan for 3 years you'll be just fine.  

Consider too, direct loans and FAFSA is intended for helping the undeserved community, mostly, but also the middle class.  So considering your own situation it is still anyone's best bet to work and save $$ right now, and do loans ONLY if you have to. So congrats~  my .02

Out_foxed, the loans available for the PA grad programs through FAFSA aren't need based, and it's all unsubsidized.  Everyone is offered the same loans based on tuition and costs forecast by the school.  

You might want to consider asking your parents to give you the $$ for living expenses and take out loans for the equivalent in tuition (so ask them to pay tuition -$10K); depending on your age, they might not be able to claim your tuition on their taxes (definitely double check on this part with a tax person, I am not positive not that).  Also then you'll have the loans eligible for repayment if you can negotiate that into a contract after you graduate.  

Do parents own a home? If so, they could consider a HELOC for your living expenses, interest is tax-deductible (assuming they itemize), and in years past interest rates were quite competitive. I have an open one which I've never drawn on but have it there in case of emergency (<10% of my home value present day). Since I own my home outright I would really need to be hurting to touch it since it serves in essence as a second mortgage. As I recall in the terms I have ten years to draw on it up until the last day, and then ten years to payback.

Oh I agree FAFSA loans and consider a loan repayment. It might be best to actually take out the loans and have your parents as a backup in case you don't get a loan repayment program then they can make the lump sum payment on the loans. That way you might be able to go to school for almost free and your parents can keep their money. Of course you need to consider the interest implications. Maybe instead they'll put down on a condo for ya. ☆

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Hey guys thanks for all the replies! So, because the cost of my school is relatively low, my parents would rather pay it upfront rather than take out federal loans. I do have about ~20k saved up, but think it would just be easier for me to take out a private loan to help pay for rent/books/living expenses so I don't have to live off ramen for the next 2 years. If I were to take out ~10k, where would you all recommend me doing so? I really don't know much about loans because luckily I didn't have to take out any for undergrad. Thanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...

Out_foxed, the loans available for the PA grad programs through FAFSA aren't need based, and it's all unsubsidized.  Everyone is offered the same loans based on tuition and costs forecast by the school.  

You might want to consider asking your parents to give you the $$ for living expenses and take out loans for the equivalent in tuition (so ask them to pay tuition -$10K); depending on your age, they might not be able to claim your tuition on their taxes (definitely double check on this part with a tax person, I am not positive not that).  Also then you'll have the loans eligible for repayment if you can negotiate that into a contract after you graduate.  

F-Pat:  Thanks for the advice; the program I'm applying for is actually undergrad (which undergrad P.A. programs will be gone by 2021), but yes the game changes for graduate school (which is good info for me too as I will be doing a masters program right after graduating). 

Considering Fflghter23's comment on stellar credit, sounds like it's possible to get a loan for less than the standard un-subbed loans. So the OP should look into both and see which one is the lowest rate and go with that.  If you can find a subsidized loan of any type then I'd go with that and pay off the loan 1st after graduating.

In other words get a quote for both options; taking education based loans and pocket parents for living expenses, or take private loans for living expenses and parents pay tuition.  Ask the school if they have any affiliated banks and get a quote. 

Stay away from private loans if you can - with federal you have the option of income based repayment plans and loan forgiveness in the future.  This may seem unnecessary right now; or at least that's what I said when I started receiving GI Bill benefits.  Got a full ride with housing stipend but life circumstances changed and I took out about 6x the loans I had initially anticipated.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely go federal.  With that low amount you should be able to stay in Stafford (vs PLUS).  It will be easier to get forbearance if you need it for some reason or repayment from employers (if you work for the govt or qualify for loan forgiveness) than if you did a private loan.

• 7 months later...

Hey everyone, will be starting PA school at my instate program this fall and my parents have agreed to pay the entire tuition. However, that leaves me to take care of my own living expenses. I'm only looking to take out ~10k in loans to pay for rent/books/other expenses and supplement with the money I've saved prior to starting school. Was wondering what the best route would be to take out these loans, going the federal route through FAFSA or just taking out a private loan.

Thanks!

Lendingclub.com

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Archived