South College 2016 Start

I emailed Deborah today and asked if all the May 20th interview invites have been sent out yet and she said No. I was very impressed with her quick response she literally emailed me back within minutes. Congrats to the people that got interviews so far. I still have my fingers crossed! :0)

Katie T.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

I'm in the class of 2017. A big reason for the break is that it's the main summer break for faculty. In addition, it gives time for you to meet people to room with, find a living space, get moved, and for your personal equipment to come in that you order at orientation. You start learning physical exam skills in week 1, so equipment becomes important very quickly. And if they do medical terminology for you like they did us, you have an online course to complete before you start. Enjoy this break. You will dream about it a year from now!!! ???? Congrats on acceptance! We look forward to meeting y'all!

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I will be interviewing at South this month and was wondering if anyone who has interviewed in the past could explain the process in depth for me? I am aware that is a group interview, but I was wondering what the dynamic was (how many people were in each group, etc) and what type of questions were generally asked (not the specific questions but what whether they were more situational or behavioral questions?). 

Any insight into what to expect that day would be more than appreciated, thanks!! 

Hi!

I will be interviewing at South this month and was wondering if anyone who has interviewed in the past could explain the process in depth for me? I am aware that is a group interview, but I was wondering what the dynamic was (how many people were in each group, etc) and what type of questions were generally asked (not the specific questions but what whether they were more situational or behavioral questions?).

Any insight into what to expect that day would be more than appreciated, thanks!!

This is (Succinctly) how it was for me:

Walk inside, get your name tag and have a little meet and greet in the student lounge with current students and other interviewees.

Go to a classroom and have a icebreaker with the faculty along with some words from the director. Then taken on a tour around the facility.

Then group interview time. 4 applicants and 3 faculty. Mostly common questions, nothing out of left field. Couple of situational questions- but huge variety in questions between the faculty.

At some point you will do a med term quiz and an essay that does not impact their decision. I did mine before lunch.

Lunch. Then individual interviews/determination if you're accepted or not.

Again, I don't know if this is how it'll be for you specifically, but that's how it was for mine.

I'll see you there, My friends and I will be shuffling y'all around and answering your questions that day. Good luck to all on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

For those already in the program or any alumni, what do you like most about the PA program at South? 

Also, I will be applying next cycle so I'm looking to visit South sometime next year. I'm curious about finding accommodation close to the school, cost of living and all. Would really appreciate any pointers.

@Bae2PA -- I'm in the class of 2017, just getting ready to start rotations. One of the things that impressed me most during my interview was talking to current students about the reputation South has in the area, especially one clinical year student who came in to talk to us. She told us South PA students are consistently more prepared than other PA, NP, and med students who rotate in Knoxville. I've heard this echoed by a lot of lecturers during this past year. No program is perfect, and to be perfectly honest, most of them are great. But I'm happy with my decision to come here, and I do feel (in between feeling 100% unprepared) ready to begin clinicals. We just took the PACKRAT, a test most PA students take to assess their preparedness for the PANCE. Our class did well above the national average. I've been extremely impressed by some of our lecturers, and totally unimpressed by others. PA school is what you make of it; how you choose to spend your time during lecture, after class, and on the weekends.

Knoxville is a nice place to live. It's not big, but it does have a downtown to offer. People here are nice, and the cost of living is low. There are lots of places to live within a short drive to class. I have super low rent at a nice complex, and I drive 15 minute to school every day.

I love my classmates with all my heart. Really, at the end of the day, it's about visiting here and deciding if it feels right. If you're a good fit for the profession, you'll probably thrive wherever you end up.

I'm sorry if this all seems vague, but I don't want to over- or under-sell South. If you have more specific questions, ask. If you decide to come visit and want to meet up for coffee or something, let me know.

@Bae2PA -- I'm in the class of 2017, just getting ready to start rotations. One of the things that impressed me most during my interview was talking to current students about the reputation South has in the area, especially one clinical year student who came in to talk to us. She told us South PA students are consistently more prepared than other PA, NP, and med students who rotate in Knoxville. I've heard this echoed by a lot of lecturers during this past year. No program is perfect, and to be perfectly honest, most of them are great. But I'm happy with my decision to come here, and I do feel (in between feeling 100% unprepared) ready to begin clinicals. We just took the PACKRAT, a test most PA students take to assess their preparedness for the PANCE. Our class did well above the national average. I've been extremely impressed by some of our lecturers, and totally unimpressed by others. PA school is what you make of it; how you choose to spend your time during lecture, after class, and on the weekends.

Knoxville is a nice place to live. It's not big, but it does have a downtown to offer. People here are nice, and the cost of living is low. There are lots of places to live within a short drive to class. I have super low rent at a nice complex, and I drive 15 minute to school every day.

I love my classmates with all my heart. Really, at the end of the day, it's about visiting here and deciding if it feels right. If you're a good fit for the profession, you'll probably thrive wherever you end up.

I'm sorry if this all seems vague, but I don't want to over- or under-sell South. If you have more specific questions, ask. If you decide to come visit and want to meet up for coffee or something, let me know.

@CSCH:

Thanks a bunch, really appreciate the feedback. I'm sure you'll do great with clinicals.

Does the didactic year include any hands-on clinical experiences? 

Archived