South College 2016 Start

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think it is too late to apply at this point? 

Nope. I applied on Dec 26, verified a few days later. On 19th of Jan I got an invite to interview on the 22nd because someone dropped, went to the interview, got accepted, That was the first interview of the new year so there is still time.

March 1st is the deadline, and they really will look at those applications for the April and May interview sessions. Just make sure you have it completely verified by CASPA and sent to them by the deadline, including your supplemental app, check and GRE scores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how many people they put on their wait list?

Not sure how many go on the wait list but can give you some numbers I believe to be true:

The current class size is 85

Interview sessions have 32 people

Interview date: Nov, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (with a possible of another)

With 6-7 interview sessions I would say you have about a 50% chance of getting in on that day

They do not waitlist everyone who is not accepted

I know a number of people from off the wait list

They did call one person 2-3 day before the first day of orientation who stated with us.

Good luck!

Dress professionally (suit and tie), even their classroom dress code is strict. Brush up on medical terminology, they get your score before your one on one interview and acing it might give you the leg up you need. Some the interviewers are mildly antagonistic, don't take it personally, If they say they want short and sweet keep it short and sweet. The have threes essay questions to choose from, you must complete two, I think I did the "why do you want to be a PA'" and "describe a patient that impacted you", not sure if they even go over these given the timetable.

Don't lose hope yet, guys! Look at your application and think about what you can do to improve. There are still many more interviews coming up. Is your GRE score low? Take it again. Do you have enough patient care hours? Get some more hands-on experience. (And please note, while being a scribe is excellent experience and you can learn a lot, nothing can replace actually getting your hands dirty with patients. During the last interview I was told explicitly by a member of the admissions staff that being a CNA or EMT is looked at much more highly than being a scribe, for this very reason.) Have you been volunteering in your community? Tell them. Call or email the admissions office and ask them what you'd need to do to become a stronger candidate, then do it. I did little things to round out my application that weren't require for South, like taking my BLS course, sending transcripts for a non-required online medical terminology course, and shadowing PAs in several different fields.

I sent my updates in the form of an updated resume which was meant to replace my old one. I emailed it, along with an explanation of the additional things I had done. It's a great way to get credit for the additional work you've been doing and to let them know you're still interested.

Don't lose hope yet, guys! Look at your application and think about what you can do to improve. There are still many more interviews coming up. Is your GRE score low? Take it again. Do you have enough patient care hours? Get some more hands-on experience. (And please note, while being a scribe is excellent experience and you can learn a lot, nothing can replace actually getting your hands dirty with patients. During the last interview I was told explicitly by a member of the admissions staff that being a CNA or EMT is looked at much more highly than being a scribe, for this very reason.) Have you been volunteering in your community? Tell them. Call or email the admissions office and ask them what you'd need to do to become a stronger candidate, then do it. I did little things to round out my application that weren't require for South, like taking my BLS course, sending transcripts for a non-required online medical terminology course, and shadowing PAs in several different fields.

I sent my updates in the form of an updated resume which was meant to replace my old one. I emailed it, along with an explanation of the additional things I had done. It's a great way to get credit for the additional work you've been doing and to let them know you're still interested.

I was waitlisted last cycle and improved in the areas I was told specifically at my interview. I have not received an interview yet this cycle but took your advice and emailed a complete updated resume and asked what I could do to become a stronger candidate. It has been a week with no response. Should I call or wait for an interview and/or response to my email?

Archived