South College 2016 Start

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an interview March 18th as well! I was informed yesterday via email. I am flying in on Thursday from Kansas, any other long distance travelers? I applied and was paperwork-verified in December. This is my first interview invite, any attire advice? I'm guessing a dark colored suit and short heels?

Congratulations! Did you just receive the invite today?! When was your application verified by CASPA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, I received the invite a week or so ago! I was verified back in August & because I was applying to more than one program I just went ahead and submitted early :)

Hey guys, I will be declining my seat offer per acceptance at my top school choice, Mercer. I really enjoyed my visit to South College and the family atmosphere of the faculty. This is a fantastic college and I wish you all the best of luck. Hoping to free up a seat for one of you :)

Congrats! Any helpful tips for their interview process (besides those already posted)?

Hello everyone!

Congratulations to all who have been accepted!  However I received my confirmation email from South on 2/16/16, and have yet to receive anything further.  I currently know two students who are currently enrolled in the PA program so I am fairly aware of the interview process.  That being said I was wondering how I stand in regards to being competitive. 

I have around 9,000 hours of direct patient care experience through being an A-EMT for the past 3 1/2 years working for an Emergency ALS service.  I also have 10 months of lab experience (through my biology department lab) doing research as well as a paper I am currently working on that will hopefully be published prior to my graduation this May.  My GRE is not the best as I have a 301 combined with a 3.5 verbal first time (over the phone I was told 3.5 and 300 were considered competitive, and due to time constraints I have yet to take it again).  I am a physiology concentration with chem minor and have a CASPA science GPA of 3.2 with overall CASPA of 3.16 (I dropped out in spring of 2011 and received 3 Fs and 1 D due to not with drawing, and since have retaken those courses and have a 3.54 GPA at my university and have made straight A's the past three semesters and have had at least a 3.5 semester GPA since I returned). Also I will have many upper division sciences completed upon graduation including Bioorganic chem, immunology, histology, cell and molec.. etc. 

Thanks!

Sorry for the long post just wanted to explain my situation

Does anyone know the next interview date after the March 18th interview? I applied in July, was verified/confirmed through South in August and have not heard anything since. I sent an e-mail this last week with a few updates and was told they would be added to my file and reviewed. Still hoping I get an interview at the end of the month or beginning of April! They interview through the end of May, right? 

Congrats! Any helpful tips for their interview process (besides those already posted)?

Really stress your hands on experience and why you want to go to their college. They will ask you what other colleges you applied to, interviewed at, and have been accepted to. I let them know that I was accepted to Nova Jax the day before my interview at South College, but was there because that's the school I wanted to be at. Which was true. They will know if you're just there or if you are just looking for any school. Make sure they see your desire to be part of their family. This is a fantastic program, and had I not been accepted into my absolute top university, this is where I would be going. Best of luck!

Hi Everyone!

I received an email from South College today for an interview on April 15th. I applied at the end of August 2015 and received email confirmation that my application was complete on 9/17/2015. I've been following this thread since I've applied, and it seems as if they're not sending out interview invitations based on the order of when your application was submitted. Some people received interview invites before me even though they've submitted their applications months after me. So, for those who are still waiting, there's still hope!! It looks like so many people are turning down interview invites as I will be declining my invitation as well. I've already accepted a seat elsewhere and have my apartment. Additionally, I thought sharing my stats might help some of you in some way:

Major: Biochemistry

cGPA: 3.98

sGPA: 4.0

HCE: ~1,300 hours (surgical assistant, volunteer MA)

Shadowing: ~50 hours (FP PA, Surgical PA, cardio thoracic surgeon, FP MD)

GRE: 1st time - 147V, 150Q, 4.0W; 2nd time - 149V, 149Q, 3.5

Non-HCE volunteering: 400+ hours

Research: 400+ hours

I wasn't expecting to receive an interview invite since my combined GRE scores (highest sections from both exams) is 299. I spoke to Deborah in early 2015 where she told me they didn't interview anyone with a GRE combined score of 300 or lower in the previous cycle. Point is - they look at your application as a whole; there's still a chance so stay positive, you guys! Best of luck to those who are still waiting to hear back, those who are interviewing, and those who've been accepted!

Hello! I got accepted yesterday and just wanted to offer a few of my stats. I submitted my application 8/4/15 and was verified 8/17/15. I was offered an interview invite on 3/3/16 for my interview on 3/18/16. I believe they said they will still have two more interview dates in April and May. My overall science GPA was a 3.23, 1100 hours of health care experience, and 308 GRE. In the interview they wanted to see how well you handled stress when given a difficult question, how fast you could think on your feet, etc. This was the only and first school I interviewed at and I loved their interview process. They made you feel extremely comfortable and all of the staff genuinely cares and wants you to succeed. 

I was also accepted! They said my science GPA was really low (it was) I think my science GPA was around 3.0. So let this be a relief to some! They said that while my GPA was low, they could see that I was working full time and a student athlete and involved in multiple medical and community service organizations, showing that I could hand multi-tasking and performance under stress. I also have around 3000 paid direct hands on patient care experience. I would encourage everyone to get involved and to make sure that your interviewers know the whole story, not just the GPA, they are looking for well rounded individuals!

Anyone know what the facebook page for our class is?

I was also accepted! I have 5000 hours of direct patient care experience, 1000 hours community service, 220 Physician & NP shadowing hours, 132 PA shadowing hours. Science GPA 3.8. GRE 1st time - Quantitative 152, Verbal 153, Analytical Writing 3.5, 2nd time - Quantitative 149, Verbal 147, Analytical Writing 4.0. I agree being well-rounded is very important! Being personal about why you want to go to South goes a long way. 

Archived