2015-2016 Application Cycle

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called in August after the denial. Then I got this email. When I called I talked to a counselor.

Now I'm not sure if this latest email is in error or when I called they thought I was asking about my prior years app.

Confusing to say the least. And I can't call to ask

Hey all,

I am a first year at SMU.  Life is good. 

I don't have an answer about when the invites will come, I know the faculty is still going over the 3,000 apps that were submitted.  That's ~30% more than last year btw...and I have heard that the interviews will be all after the new year.  I know this is later than many of the other programs, but that's just the way the faculty runs it here. I don't see that changing.  I can tell you the program is awesome and the best advice I have for you is try and relax?

Additionally-in the off chance that you don't matriculate into a program this year I would recommend staying busy by working with purpose.  Now that your apps are in and you have had a breather you have time.  Only you know your app/package so maybe retake a class, get a new technical skill set, start a new community service activity, get a new job, learn some medical spanish, chinese, sign language...  Don't let this time get away from you, it's also way easier to play the waiting game when you are busy. This way when you do get in, you will have more tools in your chest.  

I've been in your shoes 2x.  Waitlist 1 year, early admit the next.  Best of luck.  

Hey-o! I just wanted to ask you and any other current SMU student what helped you the most to prepare for interviews? Some people have told me to read a few books about the history of PA's to get a background knowledge of the profession. Some have told me to do mock interviews, but I don't know what kinds of questions they'll ask. Do you have any pointers?

-Kamala

Hi Kamala (and others),

Here are some things to think about when you get invited for an interview:

- Definitely do mock interviews with a friend or colleague, ideally someone who has been involved in hiring or interviewing at their job.  You can invite them out to lunch or dinner (you pay) and give them a script of questions to ask you.  Pretend like it's the real thing.

- Practice your "So, tell me about yourself" speech.  You'll be asked this question at least five times anywhere you interview.  KEEP IT SHORT but try to include something that makes you stand out.

- Practice describing to someone what a PA is.  You'll definitely be asked this question.  Make your description unique- my interviewer told me "wow, I've never heard a PA described quite that way...I like it!"

- Practice describing why you'd like to be a PA rather than a doctor or an NP.  Be honest and genuine (this goes for any answer to any question)

- When you show up for the interview, relax and be yourself.  Leave any competitive tendencies at the door... chat and have fun with your fellow applicants.  You'll need to be diplomatic and professional at all times, too, even when interviewers ask you about politically-charged or ethical issues.

- Think of some good stories to share that exemplify your best qualities as a healthcare professional.

- Wear simple clothing (black and white).  Wear one accessory that makes you stand out just a little.  Easy on the makeup.

That's all I can think of right now.  Good luck!  I'm really sorry y'all are having to wait so long to hear back.  I know how tough that can be.  This program is worth the wait, so hang in there!

Congrats! Just curious, what number do they call you from? I don't like answering calls from unknown numbers but I'd hate to miss an important call... Thanks

Just got a call yesterday for an interview on January 16th!! I am so excited!!! Does anyone know what kind of interview it is? One on one, group, multiple mini interview?

Congrats to everyone whose gotten an interview invite!

I applied in May, I applied To SMU 5/18. I called Tonnette in June and left a voicemail, but never heard back. I spoke to someone in the program the next week as was told they are really overwhelmed with applications this cycle.

I did not hear anything again until 11/30 when I received the email I think we all got.

I've been accepted to a program that starts in August, so it would be nice to hear from SMU in da meantime because they seem fantastic. I love Oakland cuz it's a nice blend of hood and gentrification.

Anyways, just wanted to share my timeline cuz others are probably in da same boat.

Cheers to all!

Congrats to everyone whose gotten an interview invite!

I applied in May, I applied To SMU 5/18. I called Tonnette in June and left a voicemail, but never heard back. I spoke to someone in the program the next week as was told they are really overwhelmed with applications this cycle.

I did not hear anything again until 11/30 when I received the email I think we all got.

I've been accepted to a program that starts in August, so it would be nice to hear from SMU in da meantime because they seem fantastic. I love Oakland cuz it's a nice blend of hood and gentrification.

Anyways, just wanted to share my timeline cuz others are probably in da same boat.

Cheers to all!

Hi Taiyang Shen,

Do you recommend that I contact the school? I know they are overwhelmed with apps and advised us not to contact them... but it's almost the end of the year!

Archived