2015-2016 Application Cycle

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FYI-If you get an interview date for later and want to move it forward, definitely keep checking back to the website to see if any dates open. I was able to move multiple interviews forward last year quite a bit (from late January to early December), but you are at the mercy of interviewees that give up their seat (most likely because they got in somewhere else), so check back every chance you remember because they will come and go sporadically! While it is definitely not too late in the game, the earlier you interview the better since Nova does rolling admissions. Good luck!

I have been debating whether I wanted to share the story of my experience here, but I decided that I want to share it.

I interviewed a few weeks ago and was very nervous. A few current PA students came out and chatted with us and said something like, "Don't worry if Dr. ______ interviews you, he made two girls cry last year and they still got in." I was super freaked out, and that was the guy who wound up interviewing me. Even though I had been warned, i was NOT prepared for how condescending, rude, and unprofessional he was. No matter how I defended myself, responded positively, or tried to redirect, he would NOT let up. He was relentless and completely ignored my questions. The other interviewer didn't open their mouth once and completely tolerated that behavior. It made the school look terrible and unprofessional. Why would students want to go to a school that has such a stressful learning environment and disrespectful professor/student relations?

Fast forward to when I went to interview at a different Nova school. I met a girl who had interviewed at the Fort Myers campus (not the same day as me) and she had THE EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE and said even if that was the only school she got accepted to, she wouldn't go there.

THEN, when I interviewed at UF, I overheard a girl completely slamming Nova Fort Myers and saying she had an awful experience there and felt like it was super disorganized and unprofessional. I kept my mouth shut, but then ANOTHER girl started interacting with her and sharing HER story about Fort Myers. Then A DIFFERENT girl came up and was like "Oh, when I interviewed at Nova Orlando, everyone was telling stories like this about Fort Myers!"

Needless to say, I accepted a seat at a different school.

THANK YOU for your post! This is EXACTLY my thoughts about my interview at Ft. Myers and I have interviewed at all of the NOVA programs and Have also been offered interviews and acceptances elsewhere. Nova Ft. Myers was previously on the top of my list and once I had such a horrible experience with said professor (I believe you're referring to Dr. Paola, or atleast, I hope they only Have ONE interviewer that's like this) I wasn't feeling as great about this school. He was very demeaning and I understand the use of constructive criticism in an interview, but that is not what he provided and I left with such a bad (albeit limited) representation of the school.The other interviewer, Professor Sparker, was very nice but by the look on her face couldn't believe some of what Dr. Paola was saying to me. As the experience you had, Current students warned us about him as we waited to be interviewed at Ft. Myers. One student even told me that in her interview last year, he outright told her that she would "be the worst PA ever." The program director on the other hand, Dr. Patch, is an incredibly thoughtful and wonderful woman to introduce students to Nova ft Myers, but unfortunately, I met her last in the group interview. I am just happy to know that other interviewees have felt the same way and I'm not alone in my experience. I write this not to dissuade people from considering Nova Ft. Myers, but just to provide another prospective since choosing a school can be so difficult as is. Just know if you have this kind of interview experience, you're not alone. And yet, there were several very nice, polite, professional, professors and directors at the program interview as well. I just felt like the interview overall wasn't as well structured as the other Nova campuses. We were left alone for large portions of it, and we couldn't really talk to any students which was unfortunate because it may have made the experience better and cleared up some of the unfortunate interviews some of us had. I know that one negative experience or rude professor shouldn't necessarily be the sole reason you choose not to attend a PA program, but in a process that is often already so difficult to navigate if you have options, it can easily become the deciding factor to maybe choose elsewhere because you just have an overall negative vibe of the school after such an encounter. First impressions unfortunately become so very important in this process. I have chosen not to attend Nova Ft. Myers, but some of that decision also had to do with how I am married and don't want to have to do a rural medicine clinical rotation for 6 weeks or more, having to live elsewhere for it. I had no idea of that requirement before my interview, and I'm glad it was brought up at the interview.

I received an interview here but ultimately declined it, but this is pretty crazy to hear because I've also heard bad things about Fort Myer's interview process. I thought maybe the girl who told me about it just had a bad experience or that interviewer was having a bad day, but I guess not! 

Personally I do not understand the point of harsh interviews like this. At best it shows that someone has a good poker face and/or handles immediate stress well, but at worst (which I believe overwhelmingly outweighs the positive) it drives away a lot of well-qualified students and creates a negative reputation.

I mean let's be real... the most qualified applicants are going to be receiving acceptances from multiple programs, so I don't get why a school would try to give students a reason to withdraw. PA school is tough and I have no idea why a program would want to give the impression that their faculty and staff were cruel and demeaning. 

I was offered an acceptance today and even the phone call I got from the office Assitant (although she is a very nice lady) was a bit condescending, questioning my deposit I have already put down at Nova Orlando after being accepted in September after my first interview. She did not even tell me if nova ft Myers was offering me an acceptance until i divulged whether or not I plan to go to Orlando Nova and why I already put down a deposit there. 

That sounds kind of inappropriate and invasive to me. Students have private reasons for applying to other schools and paying deposits... and other schools don't have a "right" to this information. It's why CASPA doesn't allow programs to see where and how many programs to which applicants apply.

I have been debating whether I wanted to share the story of my experience here, but I decided that I want to share it.

I interviewed a few weeks ago and was very nervous. A few current PA students came out and chatted with us and said something like, "Don't worry if Dr. ______ interviews you, he made two girls cry last year and they still got in." I was super freaked out, and that was the guy who wound up interviewing me. Even though I had been warned, i was NOT prepared for how condescending, rude, and unprofessional he was. No matter how I defended myself, responded positively, or tried to redirect, he would NOT let up. He was relentless and completely ignored my questions. The other interviewer didn't open their mouth once and completely tolerated that behavior. It made the school look terrible and unprofessional. Why would students want to go to a school that has such a stressful learning environment and disrespectful professor/student relations?

Fast forward to when I went to interview at a different Nova school. I met a girl who had interviewed at the Fort Myers campus (not the same day as me) and she had THE EXACT SAME EXPERIENCE and said even if that was the only school she got accepted to, she wouldn't go there. 

THEN, when I interviewed at UF, I overheard a girl completely slamming Nova Fort Myers and saying she had an awful experience there and felt like it was super disorganized and unprofessional. I kept my mouth shut, but then ANOTHER girl started interacting with her and sharing HER story about Fort Myers. Then A DIFFERENT girl came up and was like "Oh, when I interviewed at Nova Orlando, everyone was telling stories like this about Fort Myers!"

Needless to say, I accepted a seat at a different school. 

I was interviewed at nova ft. myers but thankfully not by the army man (coombs) who thinks he's so tough with his pointless interview questions. That day, i heard the same exact thing you experienced from several people who were interviewed by him. Good thing i was accepted at another school, because i have no inclination of going there due to the unwelcoming faculty. To be fair, Dr. Patch is an exception and was a delightful person to engage with.

I was interviewed at nova ft. myers but thankfully not by the army man (coombs) who thinks he's so tough with his pointless interview questions. That day, i heard the same exact thing you experienced from several people who were interviewed by him. Good thing i was accepted at another school, because i have no inclination of going there due to the unwelcoming faculty. To be fair, Dr. Patch is an exception and was a delightful person to engage with.

I haven't gone for an interview yet but this is very sad to hear. I have dealt with the director, Mr. Hunter, and he has been very helpful. However, the past two advisors, Claudia and Renee, have both been really rude through email and phone. It is disheartening to hear these experiences about other staff members.  I was really excited about possibly getting into this school and now not so much. 

I would have to agree with SOfolo.... I have an interview scheduled and am really nervous now... Luckily I have other interviews as well. I hope I am fortunate enough to have a good experience. Thank you all for sharing your stories. It really helps to make a better decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have to agree with SOfolo.... I have an interview scheduled and am really nervous now... Luckily I have other interviews as well. I hope I am fortunate enough to have a good experience. Thank you all for sharing your stories. It really helps to make a better decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sure you will rock your interview! Don't be nervous! When did you submit your CASPA? I am still waiting to hear back from all of the Nova's :/ 

Thank you! I am just getting a little disheartened. Especially since other applicants, like yourself, who applied after I did, have already received interview offers. The odds are looking pretty slim. I feel like I had a solid application but you just never know. 

Hey all, I'm a current student at Fort Myers and I want to address some of the concerns that have been made. I'm not being asked to do this and I am acting on my own accord in writing this.

I had Dr. Paola as an interviewer last year as well. Compared to the rest of the people I met, he came across as incredibly hostile. I got in an argument with him during my interview, and I've known several people who have cried during the interview. If I had not had the chance to talk to current students after my interview process, I am not sure if I would have gone here.

With that said, I was told by current students that Dr. Paola is actually a great professor, is very caring of his students, and that he can just have incredibly awkward social behavior that tends to be misinterpreted. After having him as a professor, I can confirm this. He is extremely blunt, but he is also incredibly intelligent, passionate about medical ethics, and very informative if you ask him what you did wrong or how you can improve. My impression of him has considerably changed since I first met him at that interview, in a positive way.

All of our professors are knowledgable and caring of their students, and I would not be so quick to judge a program based on the impression of one professor (even if it was a particularly awful impression). I have friends and family that have gone to other PA schools including UF's program and other NOVA programs, and from what I've seen our education is comparable to all. I believe that I'm getting an equal education compared to other programs.

If you have been invited to interview, accepted, or just want to know more, please feel free to message me. All of this hearsay is needlessly damning to our program's reputation. I am not trying to discount your experience with your interviews, but I AM trying to put it in perspective. If you choose this program, you will have a great education, you will make friends, you will study your butt off, and after 27 months you will become a PA. There will be hiccups along the way, but that is true for every. single. program out there. 

So yeah, hope the rest of the interviews go well! I'll try to talk to as many of you as possible at future interviews and answer questions.

Archived