2015-2016 Application Cycle

Current student seconding what jbailey posted!  I think I'm getting a great education here.  For those disappointed by the current students' lack of availability to chat with you, I'm sorry.  We only have a 5-10 minute break between classes, but quite a few of us check up on this forum so please do communicate with us here.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^^ thank you!!!! I've been waiting for current students to respond to all of the negative comments.

I was accepted and will be attending Nova Fort Myers, and all of the negative comments were really putting a damper on the excitement I was feeling. I know that picking NSU fort Myers was the best decision for me, and I can't wait to start! Thank you, current students!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^ thank you!!!! I've been waiting for current students to respond to all of the negative comments.

I was accepted and will be attending Nova Fort Myers, and all of the negative comments were really putting a damper on the excitement I was feeling. I know that picking NSU fort Myers was the best decision for me, and I can't wait to start! Thank you, current students!!!

K_ibarra--- I definitely agree! I've accepted a seat and while my experience wasn't the most welcoming, I was still excited to be offered a seat for the PA program. It's such an incredible opportunity. Thanks to the current students for all your input!

I concur with much of what jbailey said ... also from a current student's point of view.  

My interview experience last year had some similarities to some of the concerns expressed here.  I just looked at it from a different perspective:  

No, there was no one at the main desk when I and my co-interviewees arrived.  This is a small, intimate campus (especially compared to Fort Lauderdale for example!), and the administrative staff work 8:30-5:30; it didn't concern me that no one was there to greet me when I arrived.  I was on time; the rest of the group and I chatted and got to know each other a little (two others of my group were also accepted here!); and the interview started on time with the Admissions Coordinator.  

Yes, my group interview was delayed almost an hour ... because one of the interviewers was delayed in clinic.  Some of the faculty regularly work as ICU hospitalists, in Emergency, etc.  I LIKE that they incorporate real world, recent, experiences into our education on a daily basis, not just from a "back when I was seeing patients ...".  I will say it is indicative of the program itself too - our schedule often changes, sometimes because our lecturers' schedules change.  But that also works to OUR advantage - we, as a class, can request changes as well.  I consider that an advantage to our program.  

No, I didn't get to spend any time with current students at my interview.  The day I interviewed the current didactic students were taking a cumulative final in microbiology; they were so focused they barely managed to acknowledge us!  However, I had already PM'd a couple of current students on this forum and asked a few questions.  I like to get information from multiple sources, including those that I elicit, not just the ones that are offered to me by the program directly.  I learned quite a lot about the programs where I interviewed through unofficial sources that I felt were more honest than the 'public' face I was presented at the interviews.

I chose NSU-Fort Myers over other schools where I was accepted (including some that are very highly ranked) very much because of the nature of the program and the surrounding community.  I also applied to other NSU campuses and, although the programs are separate (directed and accredited), they are part of the same school (and if you were paying attention use the same application, scheduling, and enrollment system!); I was pretty certain that the other campuses most likely knew I was interviewing at other campuses and quite possibly knew my status with the others.  I prepared myself for any questions about why, as well as what I thought about each, so I wasn't surprised.  NO school is going to be surprised that a strong candidate has multiple interviews and possibly multiple offers to matriculate.  I wasn't offended when they asked, and I was appropriately humbled to admit that I had choices.  

I am still happy with my choice.  I have a great study group, new friends, long days, late nights, information overload, and after 27 months, I will graduate, take my PANCE, and be a PA-C.  

Feel free to ask me questions, openly or privately.  Every program has its merits and its issues.  Just keep your eye on the goal.  

Hi all,

I just canceled my interview for Friday Nov 13th due to being accepted at a school close to home. I hope that opens up a spot for one of you! And good luck to everyone interviewing- seems like a great program

Congratulations on the acceptance at the other school! Do you mind me asking when you submitted your CASPA? I'm still waiting for a sign of life from Nova lol

I just withdrew my acceptance (due to another acceptance), I hope this opens a spot up for someone! Best of luck!

I saw there is some concern about the interview process- I had an interviewer who was a bit tough in the manner which the questions were asked- but he ultimately admitted these are hard questions to answer. They know they are putting it on thick, but in the end they want to see how you handle pressure and not so much on the substance of your answer. Try to stay calm and stick to your opinion and you should be good! I left the interview thinking I did awful, but was accepted 3 days later. It was a good learning experience. I spoke to several students afterward, they were so nice and helpful, they reassured me that this professor is knowledgable and can be intense but was beyond helpful in classes and labs. Hope this helps!

I had a very challenging interview but received my acceptance yesterday! They want to challenge you and see how you react. The entire faculty is amazing and although my interview was tough, my experience was great at the campus! Good luck to all interviewing :)

Thanks for sharing your experience! Congratulations! I hope to be writing a post like this next month :) when you say they challenged you, what do you mean? I am trying to prepare for my interview right now and any tips would be helpful!

Hi everyone,

I would just like to share my recent experience interviewing at the Fort myers campus. I interviewed Friday and I will admit after reading the forum I was a bit concerned and nervous about the interview process but it turned out to be my best interview ever!!! Renee is SO nice and welcoming and sits and chats with the interviewers getting to know them..I interviewed with 2 faculty members and both of them were just sweethearts. I felt no pressure during my interview and I felt like we were just chatting and enjoying a nice conversation. The only thing missing was a nice cup of tea. But it was very laid back, warm, and welcoming. Afterwards we had group interviews with Dr. Patch and this was a great experience too. She is the most nicest person you will ever meet. Overall, I felt that the way Fort myers had set up there interview day was just amazing and made everyone feel really welcomed. After getting to know the campus, faculty, and some current students, Fort Myers is a top choice of mine. I hope to be fortunate enough to get an acceptance call soon because the interview process blew me away with their kindness. I hope this eases some of those who still have interviews scheduled. Don't be nervous! And best of luck!

Hi everyone,

I would just like to share my recent experience interviewing at the Fort myers campus. I interviewed Friday and I will admit after reading the forum I was a bit concerned and nervous about the interview process but it turned out to be my best interview ever!!! Renee is SO nice and welcoming and sits and chats with the interviewers getting to know them..I interviewed with 2 faculty members and both of them were just sweethearts. I felt no pressure during my interview and I felt like we were just chatting and enjoying a nice conversation. The only thing missing was a nice cup of tea. But it was very laid back, warm, and welcoming. Afterwards we had group interviews with Dr. Patch and this was a great experience too. She is the most nicest person you will ever meet. Overall, I felt that the way Fort myers had set up there interview day was just amazing and made everyone feel really welcomed. After getting to know the campus, faculty, and some current students, Fort Myers is a top choice of mine. I hope to be fortunate enough to get an acceptance call soon because the interview process blew me away with their kindness. I hope this eases some of those who still have interviews scheduled. Don't be nervous! And best of luck!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! This has really calmed me down and I am really excited to interview in 3 short weeks! Fort Myers is also my top choice and the only interview I have at the moment so I hope to have an experience like the one you had. Also, which hotel did you stay at? I am looking to stay at the one right across the street. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to get nervous as I'm preparing for my first interview ever next week. Anyone have any tips on calming nerves? I've been trying to prepare for the interview but it's also finals week next week!

As impossible as it may seem, please don't be nervous!! The Ft. Myers interview is extremely laid back (well at least in my experience) and the people there are honestly kind and do a lot to make you feel comfortable. The moment you walk into the lobby and start talking with the other interviewees, you will immediately begin to calm down and clear your mind. I know this isn't much of a tip or any form of advice, but it's the truth. I was so nervous to the point where I was shaking while driving to the campus, but after about 15 minutes of talking with others and with Renee (who is super sweet), I felt calm and didn't feel crazy nervous for the rest of the interview session. Be confident!!! I wish you the best of luck on your interview and with finals!

As impossible as it may seem, please don't be nervous!! The Ft. Myers interview is extremely laid back (well at least in my experience) and the people there are honestly kind and do a lot to make you feel comfortable. The moment you walk into the lobby and start talking with the other interviewees, you will immediately begin to calm down and clear your mind. I know this isn't much of a tip or any form of advice, but it's the truth. I was so nervous to the point where I was shaking while driving to the campus, but after about 15 minutes of talking with others and with Renee (who is super sweet), I felt calm and didn't feel crazy nervous for the rest of the interview session. Be confident!!! I wish you the best of luck on your interview and with finals!

Thank you so much for the tips! Do you have any advice for the group interview? That's the part I am most nervous for! Also, how long after interviewing do people typically receive notification of an acceptance? 

Thank you so much for the tips! Do you have any advice for the group interview? That's the part I am most nervous for! Also, how long after interviewing do people typically receive notification of an acceptance? 

I was also very nervous about the group interview, but it's actually very simple and relaxing, definitely nothing to stress about. The group interview is usually only 3 or 4 interviewees and you basically introduce yourself to Ms. Patch, who was very sweet and kind, and she gives you a scenario and you work with the other interviewees and figure out a solution. I was with three others, and they were all so great so we were able to work extremely well together that it even surprised Ms. Patch! I'm sure you've been told this many times, but during the group interview be polite, don't talk over anyone else, and if you do have a differing opinion from the others, don't argue or have an attitude or whatever, it will reflect very poorly on you. 

I interviewed on a Monday and was emailed that Friday! Very quick!

If you search for "NSU Physician Assistant Class of 2018 (Fort Myers Campus)" You should find it!

Thank you! I found it :) 

Has anyone who has been accepted for the upcoming class been given a supplies list? I recall Renee posting on the FB page that she'd send out a list before Christmas, for gift ideas, but haven't seen one yet. Thanks!

I am also wondering about this too! 

Archived