Switching from pharmacy to PA?

I just finished undergrad at a UC and am set to start pharmacy school in a month. However, I'm seriously starting to second guess my decision..

Although pharmacy is interesting and the job as a technician at Walgreens keeps me entertained, I don't love it and I honestly think I'd be bored doing the same repetitive thing day in and day out. Now there are fields of pharmacy I haven't discovered yet, but those jobs make up a small percentage of pharmacists out there in the real world. I don't hate pharmacy, but it's certainly not something I am passionate about. I'm kind of already getting bored of working in the pharmacy and I've only been a tech for 6 months and volunteered in two other pharmacies for under a year. 

I started looking into PA a while ago, but felt that since I was already on the track to pharmacy, I might as well stick with it. Buuuut now comes some regret.. It isn't too late though; I haven't paid any tuition or signed any leases and I want some reassurance that PA is something I really want to do before I jump the gun and withdraw from pharmacy school. I am way more interested in working with and diagnosing patients than I am with filling prescriptions and spewing out repetitive consultations. I love the fact that I can specialize in certain fields, and as of now, being a surgical PA is what interests me most.

Also, the job market outlook is WAY better for PAs than it is for pharmacists... Pharmacy is getting ridiculously saturated because of all these new greedy schools opening up that just want students' money. They don't care if we'd be able to find a job after graduation, as long as they get paid out -_- I don't want to go to 4 years of pharmacy school and end up working graveyard shifts in Montana just to pick up hours (totally exaggerating.. kind of). And if the job market is this horrible now, imagine how bad it'll be in 4 years when even MORE schools start spewing out their first graduating classes...

I graduated with a 3.4 GPA from a UC (3.5 science) as a Biological Sciences major and got into pharmacy school, meaning I knocked out pretty much all the prerequisite courses I'd need for PA school. I understand that getting into PA school can be competitive and require a tremendous amount of HCE, which I am ready to devote this next year or two to. I plan to find a PA to shadow, volunteer at my local hospital, and gain the experience necessary to apply. I've volunteered over 200 hours at a hospital in high school (if that even counts), and in college, I worked in a lab as an intern for half a year, shadowed an optometrist, and had two pharmacy internships. Since graduating, I've been a pharmacy technician at Walgreens for half a year. Although it may seem like my pharmacy experience has gone to waste, I feel it gives me an advantage because I learned so much about drugs. That'll be useful.

I guess I'm just kind of lost and would like to know whether I should pursue becoming a PA.. I know people say you shouldn't be young and applying to PA school, but it kinda just feels right. I'm willing to devote all my time and obtain the HCE I need. Staying in pharmacy would be the easy route, but in my heart, I know PA would suit me so much better. 

in my heart, I know PA would suit me so much better. 

If this is the case, then it appears as if you already have your answer. It sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on what it'll take to be a competitive applicant, so all that's left is to make it happen.

Best of luck.

Wow this a second thread, besides mine, on someone who is considering leaving one healthcare track from PA. I'm leaving OT for PA. I think you got a good shot dude, but just weight out all your options.

Good luck =)

PA seems to be quite the lucrative career these days! I really hope I'd be making the right decision if I do switch into PA.. What made you leave OT for PA?

Here is the standard response to this question:

The only way to know if PA is for you is to get some quality HCE under your belt.  There is no other way for you to know.

Additionally, it should be noted that treating patients can become repetitive; look around for posts about PA burnout and you'll see that many ED and primary care PAs suffer the same mind-numbing repetition as many other healthcare occupations out there.  Primary care involves a lot of clinical reminders, narcotic agreement contracts, calling prescriptions into local pharmacies, reading the same order set results, arguing with specialty clinics who shirk responsibilities on PC...

The ED sees a lot of the same "injuries" over and over: stubbed toe, leaking catheters, viral syndrome, anything that can warrant a work excuse or narcotics, detox for the Nth time, oh it's raining out get ready for the regulars...

Treating patients in a clinical setting is nothing like what you might see from the outside.  The nuances are many and only seen from the back office.  So, before you invest any time, effort or cash into pre-reqs, the best thing you can do is find some good, paid HCE.

One of our professors was actually a pharmacist for several years and then went to PA school and practiced as a PA for years as well.  It's awesome having her as a professor for pharmacotherapy because she see's it in a way that not every PA or PA student has a chance to look at. If being a PA is what you want I say go for it. You'd probably get a least an interview or two if you apply now, but by next application cycle you should be a pretty strong applicant. 

Ah, the fresh young hopefuls...makes me miss those days of mine.  OP, not to scare you off, but I'm not quite convinced you know what's ahead of you.  If I were me, I would peruse the "Professional PA" part of this forum before saying things such as: "I'd be bored doing the same repetitive thing day in and day out."  "I am more interested in working with and diagnosing patients than I am with filling prescriptions and spewing out repetitive consultations. I love the fact that I can specialize in certain fields, and as of now, being a surgical PA is what interests me most."  "The job market outlook is WAY better for PAs than it is for pharmacists... Pharmacy is getting ridiculously saturated because of all these new greedy schools opening up that just want students' money. They don't care if we'd be able to find a job after graduation, as long as they get paid out -_- I don't want to go to 4 years of pharmacy school and end up working graveyard shifts in Montana just to pick up hours (totally exaggerating.. kind of). And if the job market is this horrible now, imagine how bad it'll be in 4 years when even MORE schools start spewing out their first graduating classes..."

I had the same mindset when I started out.  You don't have to trust my opinion but, if it was up to me, I would never choose to be a PA again.  Just ignore me - I'm just burned out and disillusioned from what people/Forbes call the "Hottest and fastest growing profession with such great pay!"  What people don't tell you between those lines is what you'll find in the Professional PA part of this forum.  Then, if you're up to it, check out SDN forum and you'll see what attitudes MDs have about PAs - or rather what the young pre-MDs already think about PAs.  Then, while you're at it, peruse want ads and ask yourself if you'll be able to get a surgical job right out of school with no surgical background.  Like I said, I'm just a disillusioned and burned out PA-C.  There are plenty of people happy with being a PA. So, you should also talk to them for a more balanced discussion.

OP,

Check out my thread "Pre-OT now pre-PA" for the answer. I also wanted to second what others have said. There are some downsides to being a PA. You will be supervised by a doc for the most part. Have a big ego? PA is probably not for you. Yes there is burnout. Yes, depending on what specialty, repetition comes into play(although frankly I don't think its nearly as bad as pharm. How many darn ways can you count and QA amlodipine besylate? Its all the same.)

Despite the downsides, I am willing to live with them(even though I feel hostile towards NP's. Haha!)

Archived