Shadowing strategy

Hello!

I'm limited in the number of hours I can accumulate within a six month period at the facility for which I work, and have already reached the limit shadowing a PA there. In the meantime...

I work for another larger, metropolitan facility but am unsure how to get in with any providers there. I'll work on this, probably contact our education department or even HR.

I'm considering condensing my resume by removing much of the job-specific technical duties and emphasizing communication skills. Also composing a cover letter to introduce myself and my purpose for wanting to shadow, and emailing to local clinics. I have the time to show up in person, if that may be more effective.

Any other advice/ideas for networking? It's time to step out from the lab and get my face out there. :)

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

In person may be your best bet. At the clinic where you are maxed out on shadowing hours - is there any networking you can take advantage of? Perhaps one of the PAs or docs knows a friend who works at another clinic/hospital?

This is my struggle, I have to learn to put myself out there. Social/professional interactions are a source of anxiety. I haven't asked the PA I followed because...I don't know I guess I'm chicken s***. However, I know that if I'm going to get where I want I have to push myself; no one is going to hand this to me.

Is it looked down upon to shadow a chiropractor/physical therapy office? It was referred to me by my college. I'm really trying to get an assortment of hours but really wasn't thinking about a chiropractor.

I don't know the answer to this, but I have not seen anywhere in this forum a recommendation to shadow providers other than PAs. And I don't believe there are PAs in this field. I could be wrong.

Sending a letter is not a great way to find someone to shadow. I would contact your local PA program or state society. Many have contacts that they can recommend. 

Absolutely everyone started where you are now. You are not asking for an enormous favor; you are giving people a chance to pay it forward (since they can't pay back their own mentors). Most working PAs know that.

Sometimes their companies get in the way, but sometimes they don't.

Good luck!

This is my struggle, I have to learn to put myself out there. Social/professional interactions are a source of anxiety. I haven't asked the PA I followed because...I don't know I guess I'm chicken s***. However, I know that if I'm going to get where I want I have to push myself; no one is going to hand this to me.

Most of my shadowing hours were from asking someone if they knew anyone else I could shadow.  While cold calling/ emailing can work the personal connections are a huge help.  If the PA you're shadowing when to school in the area, or has been there a few years, chances are really good they'll have friends at other companies they can ask if you can shadow.  

Archived