What constitutes a certification?

I have both state and national paramedic certifications...obviously I'm putting those on the application.

What are your thoughts on the other certifications that most healthcare people have to keep up? Should I add BLS, ACLS, PALS, ITLS, NRP, etc.? Do these impress adcoms, or does it just come across as trying to hard?

Thanks for the feedback. 

If they're current and relevant, include them. I didn't put my BLS because I let it lapse and haven't had time to track down a class. I'm kicking myself for it, as it is a very basic cert and it can make you stand out from a crowd of applicants without such direct care certs (I.e. scribes, MA, CNA, lab techs don't often have ACLS, etc.).

If you have them, list them.  Will it impress an adcom?  I wouldn't think so, in most cases the certifications are required for the job you are performing.  It's like an IT server admin boasting about a Linux cert, or a Marine boasting about a helo dunker cert.  Yeah it's another bullet point on the CV but these are things you should know anyways, the cert just gives a verification that you in fact do.

• Administrator

Take APLS and ABLS sometime. both excellent courses.

I took ABLS during PA school, due to recert now.  APLS... I haven't found one local to me yet, and unfortunately it's taken a lower priority for me as I really don't see many peds.  I need to recert NRP, for that matter.

I took ABLS during PA school, due to recert now.  APLS... I haven't found one local to me yet, and unfortunately it's taken a lower priority for me as I really don't see many peds.  I need to recert NRP, for that matter.

they teach APLS at Emanuel every few years. I was the only non-physician in the room at the last class.

I took NRP back when they called it NALS. thought it weas the WORST of the 2 day courses and never bothered to recert it.

FCCS is worth taking at least once. I think you have already taken ALSO (OB) great class.

Archived