Discussion on the future of obamacare: effect on primary and mid providers

I would love to have a rural job. I think a lot of PAs would. The problem with them is feasibility. Relocating as a single person with no anchors is not a huge undertaking, it's an adventure. But relocating with a spouse and/or kids...different story. Many, many people need to work in or near cities due to their industry. With kids there's the issues of schooling, leaving friends, etc. For some being too far away from their extended family is a dealbreaker. And of course your spouse may not find the experience as enriching as you.

The point is, it's not most people's first choice. There are many inconveniences involved. And not all rural locales are created equal. Everyone and their mom would love a rural gig in some idyllic Colorado mountain town, but I don't see people lining up for Indian reservations in North Dakota.

agree. if single I would have moved to a rural job 8-10 years ago. the wife likes many of the ammenities of the big city, but she's coming around...

Archived