Current Applicants 2015 - Hoping to be the Class of 2018

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@P.A.Med. My stats are nothing to write home about. According to CASPA. 2.8 cGPA, 2.5sGPA, 155 quantitative and 146 verbal,3.5 writing. I do have tons of experience about 3000 HCE hours and counting,2000 volunteer hours,minority student who is also a first generation student. Study abroad experience,lots of science research in microbiology and publications. About 4 research grants and awards, tons of other awards. Fluent in 10 languages. Just a few things I can remember lol. Hope this makes you feel better about your chances. I decided to try my luck even though I know my GPA isn't any where near the competitive pool.

• 1 month later...

@P.A.Med. and patalker my stats are off as well and I am stepping out on faith. According to CASPA 2.8 for undergraduate GPA, 3.5 for Graduate GPA. I have tons of HCE. I've been a certified nurse assistant and phlebotomist since 2006 and a Child Psychologist since Feburary of 2015. Currently I work for the state of Michigan as a child psychologist and I am hoping my HCE will override my GPA.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Did everyone get the email of when interviews would be out? I only received on right after my application that they do not perform rolling admissions.

My stats:

UndergradGPA: 3.44, Science: 3.43 BS in Respiratory Care for University of Kansas

GRE: Q:147, V:156 AW: 4.5

Experience: I'm a respiratory therapist...however many hour full time for 2 years is

Volunteer: I'm a hospice companion with Mercy Hospice and I volunteer with Concour de' Elegance that isn't medical, but I do it.

Shadowing: I shadowed for 20+ with a hospitalist PA 

LOR: From a critical care PA I work with closely in the ICU's, a hospitalist Dr that I work with, and my supervisor. 

I think that covers it..

Hello clumsden392!  I went to the last UDM program presentation meeting, and was told by a PA faculty member who is also on the admissions committee that they will be sending out invitations for interviews during the first two weeks in March, with final admission decisions being sent out on April 15.  Also, we were told that out of more than 1300 applications to UDM this cycle, only 250 were considered "complete" in order to be reviewed.  Of those, they will offer 80 interviews.  Right now there are a total of 40 seats open for the class of 2018, BUT 10-11 of those will be automatically filled by UDM undergrad pre-PA students who made the GPA cutoff.  So basically 1300 --> 250 applicants for 29 or 30 available spots, with acceptances going out to less than half of those interviewed: very competitive numbers!

Also, the faculty member told us that UDM will be DOUBLING its program size starting with the class of 2019.  They are in the process of getting approval for adding on to their structure with new facilities.  So it will be decidedly less competitive to get in starting next year.  That doesn't help the 2018 hopefuls though-- so best of luck to all of us!  I was very impressed with the program compared to others after this presentation and my conversation with the instructor.

Hope this helps!

Hey AAdelson!

Thanks for the information! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll definitely be applying next year if I don't get in. UDM is my first choice. I was also very impressed with the programs and the PAs I meet at work that are graduates from UDM over many other schools.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Hi clumsden392 and AAdelson! UDM is my first choice too. I've gone to those meetings and I think they are super helpful! The faculty members that run the meetings seem really personable. I missed the last one so I didn't get to hear those stats about the 250 complete apps/1300, so thanks for the info AAdelson. Nice to hear they are doubling their class size next year too.

My stats:

Cumulative UndergradGPA: 3.57

Cumulative Science GPA: 3.63 BS in Neuroscience Minor in Chemistry & Psych University of Miami

GRE: Q 150 V 154 AW 4.5 Total 308.5

Experience: Dermatology/Mohs Surgery Center Practice Manager & CCMA on surgery days for 2 years. ER Medical Scribe for 2 years.

I got into medical school a couple years back, but ended up not going for personal reasons. But on the bright side I had been doing all of the jumping through the hoops during undergrad doing volunteering, research, getting published, shadowing etc. So, I hope that compensates for my GPA's being below last year's averages. Hearing those numbers is REALLY scary and makes it seem like it is a long shot for anyone since 29 to 30 seats is SO few spots, but good luck to all of us! 

clumsden392 it is possible they send out that email about the interviews going out in March in batches. I saw above some one posted they got it on 12/18 and I didn't get mine until 1/21. So, they could be sending out another one soon. Hope this helps. Again good luck to everyone.

Thanks for the information! It's getting pretty close here, I feel if they sent out an email regarding interviews and I didn't receive one then that's probably a bad sign. That's a bummer, but there's always next year right?

When did you submit your applications? I did get an email in November that my application was received and would be reviewed after January 15th. I submitted my application in October. 

Good luck everyone!

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about it quite yet! I submitted in November. I got an email in December saying they were in receipt of my app, it will be reviewed and they don't do rolling admissions. Then, I got the one in January after the app closed saying all my documents are in and it is waiting review. It just repeated that they don't do rolling admissions and everyone will be reviewed before interviews are offered and that invites to interview go out around 2nd or 3rd week of March. Thats all I know so far!

Advice! 

Stats:

Cumulative Undergrad GPA: 3.68

prereq GPA: 3.56 BS human biology from MSU

GRE: Q 146 V 146 W 4.0 Total 296 (bad, i know.)

Experience: CNA 2 years at a long term care facility and rehab center (1,200 hours), 31 hours volunteering in Sparrow ED

Extra: 55 shadow hours ( 3 PA's and 1 NP), lab assistant biology II for 2 years, started my own club on campus (3 years), Pre-PA club member 3 semesters. 

Volunteer: Haven House shelter, Refugee development center, Destination Detroit, etc (roughly 122 hours). 

LOR: associate dean at MSU college of osteopathic medicine, my club's advisor, a PA that I shadowed, and my boss as an LA. 

I was recently accepted to Cuyahoga Community College/ Clevelend State University Physician Assistant Program but U of D is really where I want to go. What do you think my chances are with these stats? 

Hey guys. I saw some one posted they are on spring break now, so maybe interview calls were put on hold. My interview is next Wednesday, March 16th in the morning. I asked if there was anything earlier because I planned a vacation home, like a year ago, for next week down to Florida, but I was told that all of the pre-PA program people were scheduled first for the 14th and the 16th was the next first date available. It was no fun changing my flights, but I just felt so lucky to get a call I didn't even care. I got the call this past Friday and then received a confirmation email today (Monday). 

@CTK3 it was a phone number from Detroit!

Archived