THIS IS AN INTERESTING ONE!!!! NEW GRAD OFFER

The job would be working with a dental group/ENT/Urology... out of a indian Health Service in Arizona. I would run the ENT clinic one day a week while the Dr did surgeries. I also would be helping urology Dr. 2 times a month and the other 3 days of the week I would be working with the dental group. They want someone to do their pre-op physical exams on pediatric pts. I would also be working with 2 maxillofacial surgeons when they need first assist in the OR. Was told the position is "flexible", and that duties may totally change with in 6 months depending on how things go. There will be only 9-12 pediatric physical exams a week, maybe more and these are just pre-op physicals. I was told 95% are ASA 1 and ASA 2. I feel that this position would not challenge me enough, but I could be surprised. And I am not sure if there would be enough work for me do too!

The offer:

Salary: 103,000. No room for much growth.

15,000 sign on bonus

Relocation money

CME 1 week with $2,000

20 days PTO and start accruing sick days which starts at 8 days. 

4 10 hour shifts mon-thurs. with a one hour commute. 

Good medical, dental, vision, 401 K matching at 4% after 90 days. 

up to $300 a year for medical subscriptions. 

My concerns is that they think they are "cutting edge" by getting a PA to help in dentistry. There is no set job terms besides the ENT and urology portion. They want me to be flexible....

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS??? Any legal parameters with PA's in the dental feild?

Guest Paula

I've done plenty of pre-ops on pediatric dental patients.  Not much excitement there, but if you scrub in on surgeries it might be  different things.  What kind of of surgeries?  Are the surgeons DMD, MDs or just dentists.  You can't be supervised by a dentist DDS. 

Is the group a contracted group that provides services to IHS clinics/

Is this a direct hire on a reservation?  IHS hospital?

Unless you scrub in on lots of surgeries (not extractions done by DDS) but true MD/DO maxilofacial surgeons it sounds like you may not have enough work or enough variety to keep you busy.  Can you scrub in on ENT surgeries? 

Nice benefits and salary offered though.  What loopholes are present for the sign on bonus?

They are not MD/DO maxillofacial...they are both DDS. So my supervising Dr would be the ENT doctor. Are you saying that I would not be able to assist/help with the DDS doctors.  Direct hire on a reservation to an IHS hospital. There may be some cases to get in on with ENT, but it sounds like it may better very few. 

2 year commitment for the sign on bonus. 

Are you saying that I would not be able to assist/help with the DDS doctors.

You could do physical exams on the patients, but you can not participate in the maxillofacial surgeries with the dentists unless these are surgeries that are also within the scope of the ENT doc and that doc is your collaborating physician of record.  Even then this sounds like sort of a grey area.

The pediatric dental preop sounds like a slave mill b.s. Job. Ent clinic could be cool. What's the plan with urology? I agree with above in that I don't think you'll be able to scrub cases unless M.D involved. Even then, not really exciting first assisting there.

I would agree that the peds preop stuff would be a slave mill b.s. job. Urology only comes in 2 times a month, and i would help him see pts in clinic. ENT would start out as 2 days a week and then transition to me just working on tuesdays running the clinic. From what has been said it looks like I need to talk with them and let them know of the restrictions. 

I would agree that the peds preop stuff would be a slave mill b.s. job. Urology only comes in 2 times a month, and i would help him see pts in clinic. ENT would start out as 2 days a week and then transition to me just working on tuesdays running the clinic. From what has been said it looks like I need to talk with them and let them know of the restrictions.

You should contact AAPA and your state org to ask about the legality.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Archived