great interaction with a WW2 vet

I saw a really nice WW2 vet today(served in pacific theater, airborne) with a hand lac who had never been to the WW2 memorial in DC. I was there last week and showed him some pictures. He said he would like to see it someday and I printed up info for him on the honor flights, which send vets to DC for free to see their monuments. cool program. check it out.

http://www.honorflight.org/

I had the pleasure of caring for an elderly woman who presented to the ED a couple weeks ago. She told me she was living in Germany at the age of 5 when the war began and numerous other stories about the war and post war when American and European soldiers were occupying her region/town. She married an American soldier and move to here in her 20s. 

When I was full time in the ER we used to have WWII vets every now and then. I am a bit of a history buff so I loved speaking with them. 

Men and women of that generation were tough as nails, didn't complain and made it happen. When they show up in the ER you are pretty much guaranteed there is something big wrong - they don't show up for hangnails. I don't know if we will ever have another generation like them. God willing, there will never be a need. 

Archived