Should I apply to more schools?

What is your HCE? Will you have more at the time of interviewing? Just to play devils advocate here....you're applying to a lot of top programs that get thousands of applicants. I did something similar. Let me just say that impressive stats are not a guarantee. All of the schools I interviewed at really scrutinized my HCE. Plus as other posters have said, you need to do well at interviews and have great LORs. Just food for thought.

Yeah I mean I realize my academic credentials may be above many others who are applying, but I get the impression that for PA school, HCE is almost valued above that in evaluating candidates for admission.  My stats for HCE aren't really that impressive.  And I will not have more than that.  A small amount of this HCE was done as a CNA at a Nursing Home, and the majority of it was done as a CNA at a hospital in a surgical ICU. I'm just nervous about my HCE being far, far below what many others have since most people apply some years after graduating from undergrad.  

Is 3.91 GPA in Global Health > than 3.1 GPA in Biochemistry ? 

I am just saying. I am not beliitling any field of study but I took a lot more hard classes like Orgo, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry and Cell Biochemistry and yet adcom will bypass my application over a 3.91 GPA in Global Health candidate. :'(  

Guest JPG13

I don't think your should be concerned about your HCE. It's still > 1000 hrs of direct patient care, plus you have an outstanding GPA. 

Is 3.91 GPA in Global Health > than 3.1 GPA in Biochemistry ? 

I am just saying. I am not beliitling any field of study but I took a lot more hard classes like Orgo, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry and Cell Biochemistry and yet adcom will bypass my application over a 3.91 GPA in Global Health candidate. :'(  

Biochemistry is harder but not a whole 0.8 GPA harder. I would say 3.5/3.6 is comparable to a 3.91 in global health. I'm biochemistry as well. 

Don't worry about your HCE, you probably have enough.

This is the standard answer I give here:  look through your school's respective admissions pages and find out the average HCE for matriculated students.  This will tell you on what part of the bell curve you sit.  To get a broader view, look through the PAEA directory and look up matriculated stats for many schools.  It's time consuming, but it's the best thing you can do for yourself as a potential applicant, in order to apply to schools where you have the best chance based on incoming stats of the latest class.

Archived