What are you called? How are you referred to?

Excuse my title ending in a preposition, but I've recently wondered exactly how to speak or even introduce PAs or NPs.

Most of the folk in my hometown aren't exactly knowledgeable about medicine and the professions regarding it.  The NPs and PAs in the family practices are generally just called "Doctor."

When you introduce yourself to patients, do you just refer to yourself as your name?  How do most patients refer to you?  Additionally, how do you speak to fellow PAs and NPs if you don't know their name?

I have never referred to myself as PA (Last Name). It just sounds clunky to me. I introduce myself by first and last name and, if they are new to me say "I'm a physician assistant." After that I prefer to be called by my first name though many of my patients call me "Dr Scott". I'll correct them once or twice because I never want anyone to say I presented myself as a physician. I call my colleagues by whatever they prefer.

I never say the word "assistant."

"Hi, I'm FirstName LastName, one of the PAs here. Tell me what brings you to the ER today."

If people ask what to call me, I tell them it's okay to call me by my first name. But I wouldn't introduce myself just with my first name because I think using my full name is more professional.

Most people call me doctor. I correct them once, but most of the time they keep calling me doctor or referring to me as the doctor. It gets awkward to keep correcting them so I just move on.

Since our patient population is...less than sophisticated...many times the RNs and the ancillary staff refer to the PAs as doctors when talking to patients, too. "This is the medicine the doctor asked me to give you" or "put your bag of Cheetos down and talk to the doctor who's here to see you about your 10/10 abdominal pain."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm called "dr. ____".

I make the distinction when needed, but I work in an inner city clinic, and even the staff doesn't bother calling any of us PAs. it's just too confusing to the patients. so we're all "doctors".

or, in spanish, as is often the case, I am just...."medico". I kind of like that better :-)

I always introduce myself as "Hi, I'm Jane. I am a Physician Assistant. What are we working on today?"

I have a name tag with my name and PA-C on it but I always say the full Physician Assistant.

Sometimes I get questions about what is PA, etc. My military folks know right away.

I worked with a PA who had a PhD and insisted on being called Doctor. He is a numbskull and mirror lover.

You can have a PhD in Ancient Egyptian Heiroglyphics so the PhD does not ever give a PA the right to be called Doctor in a clinical setting. It is just wrong.

I would always correct his patients when they saw me and remind them that he is a PA, not a medical doctor.

So, identify yourself correctly each time is my mantra. Wear a nametag. Don't ever put yourself in a position to have the patient think you are something you are not.

My MAs CANNOT identify themselves as nurses - EVER.

My two cents

"numbskull", lol

No matter what I call myself, at the end of the visit, about 50% of the time I get a "Thanks, doc"--and not just from vets, either.

Same thing for me.  I correct once and then let it go. 

I introduce myself as my first and last name and say I am a PA and then explain my role as many of my patients have 2-3+ doctors or providers.  I tell my patients to call me by my first name.  Most of my patients think I am a doctor TBH.  When patients ask me to repeat my name I tell them my first name only plus or minus that I am a PA.  I do not care to be mistaken for a doctor but to try to explain to every patient what a PA is isn't practical either.  Some patients do get it.  Some of the docs have introduced me as PA Lastname and I think it is totally ridiculous.  As I always say if I had the ego requiring that I would've gone to med school, only half joking of course.  I am on a first name basis with all my colleagues of every degree.

Anyway, it is nice to educate patients.  But I literally have told a patient and their family 3-4 times in an interaction I am a PA and they seem to get it, and as I leave I hear the patient picking up their cell phone "Hi I just got done talking to the doctor they said I might get to go home tomorrow..."  In a perfect world, my patients would know what I am and what I do and call me by my first name.

Archived