Organic Chemistry - what to do?

Good morning,

I preface this post by saying I am not normally so stupid...  I do have 2 questions:

1)  Back when I was having to decide whether to take biochemistry or Organic chemistry with lab, I thought that most of the programs I was interested in didn't have organic chemistry as a pre-req.  I was so wrong.

Now I am taking medical biochemistry through UNE online.  I am fairly sure I'm going to forgo applying this cycle and concentrate on getting HCE, to which I have zero right now.  I am not sure if I will have to bite the bullet and take O-chem over the winter.

I've tried Googling with limited results but can anyone list off the top of their head any pa programs that do not require o-chem as a prereq?  So far I know of University of Florida. 

2) Almost all of the Ohio pa programs require organic chemistry, though some do not have biochemistry listed.  Is it ever done (and please tell me if it is a total faux pas) to email the program contact and ask if a course can be substituted for a listed pre-req?

I appreciate any feedback or help!

-Lisa

Guest JPG13

you can email them and ask about the course substituting but assume the worst.

also, there are A LOT of schools that don't require organic chemistry!

I will delve into the directory and create my good old Excel spreadsheet! :)

Unfortunately all the pa programs, except Marietta College, in Central Ohio require Organic chemistry in their pre-reqs. I'm a little homesick and all of my family lives in or near Columbus :(

I may just bite the bullet.

you can email them and ask about the course substituting but assume the worst.

And in the process of creating my excel sheet, the Ohio schools I am interested in all require both O-chem and biochemistry.  So my hope of substitution just died in the wind... lol.

• Administrator

Be aware that Ohio has historically been terrible state for PA practice... although recently improving through the efforts of those working there. You might want to just decide to live somewhere else and make enough money to fly (or drive) back often, which will certainly open up your school choices.

Ohio is far less "terrible" these days, especially after the new law was passed this week.

I live in Columbus and went to Marietta. At the time I applied (now 11 years ago), Marietta, MCO (now Toledo), and St. Francis (Ft. Wayne) didn't require organic. I had taken a year of it anyway, not knowing that I wouldn't be needing it, along with biochem. It still proved useful at times, especially with pharm. I now teach at ODU and we require 4 hours of OChem and 3 of biochem.

At the time, Otterbein offering OChem at night. Now Columbus State offers it (and biochem) at convenient times.

If I were you (and I'm not), I'd consider just taking the coursework at night (or whenever) while you get some HCE. Applying with no HCE is not a recipe for success for any of the local schools.

agree...

I am in the process of training for a PT, weekend Medical Scribe position at an Emergency Room!

I know that med scribe is rather low on the list as far as optimal HCE, but it seems 'accepted' by most programs.  I'm super excited, though my first actual shift won't likely be until 6 weeks from now :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have not taken organic chemistry either so when I was figuring out which schools to apply to, I went through the PAEA directory and found over 60 programs that do not require OChem. However, I focused my attention in schools that require more HCE, so I am unable to help you there. I would recommend using the directory and you will definitely find programs that are a good fit for you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Be aware that Ohio has historically been terrible state for PA practice... although recently improving through the efforts of those working there. You might want to just decide to live somewhere else and make enough money to fly (or drive) back often, which will certainly open up your school choices.

Sorry to high jack your thread, OP, but I'd love more info on why Ohio is historically a poor place for the PA field.

I'm originally from Ohio and living in VA where my husband is stationed. I'm taking prerequisites now to prepare for application in a few years. My plan is to apply to schools in Ohio since our family is there and can hopefully help us with our kids during school if needed (plus, we'd likely return to Ohio anyway when my husband retires from the air force in two years).

We're not 100% set on returning to Ohio, but it's our plan for now. If there's compelling reason why I wouldn't like being a PA in ohio, knowing that now would be great!

Thanks for your input!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Sorry to high jack your thread, OP, but I'd love more info on why Ohio is historically a poor place for the PA field.

I'm speaking only from reputation; UGoLong is an established PA there and can give you the low down on how it's been and how it's changing based on the state chapter's efforts.  If he doesn't chime in here soon, feel free to PM him.

I'm speaking only from reputation; UGoLong is an established PA there and can give you the low down on how it's been and how it's changing based on the state chapter's efforts.  If he doesn't chime in here soon, feel free to PM him.

The history isn't all that great with Ohio, but the current and upcoming legislation for PAs in Ohio is on par, if not better, than most now.

Most programs in Ohio do require at least organic chemistry I, if not organic chemistry II and biochemistry. I only had completed organic chemistry I before my application was sent in. You can try contacting some schools to see if they'll replace organic chemistry with your medical biochemistry. It won't hurt to ask!

I've never practiced in other states so I really don't have a lot to compare with. Things have changed a fair amount in the 9 years since I got out of school. We've had schedule 2-5 rights for some time. The new law combines prescriptive rights with what is now a license to practice. The supervision agreement is something between you and your SP and is kept in the office, not sent to the state for approval. An SP can have 3 PAs (used to be two). No longer does the PA have to be withing 60 minutes of the doc; now it is becoming "reasonable access," much as it is for NPs in Ohio.

We aren't drinking that old bubble up and eating rainbow stew yet, but it's not bad. I feel that I get respect from other providers and we seem to work together well. 

I've never practiced in other states so I really don't have a lot to compare with. Things have changed a fair amount in the 9 years since I got out of school. We've had schedule 2-5 rights for some time. The new law combines prescriptive rights with what is now a license to practice. The supervision agreement is something between you and your SP and is kept in the office, not sent to the state for approval. An SP can have 3 PAs (used to be two). No longer does the PA have to be withing 60 minutes of the doc; now it is becoming "reasonable access," much as it is for NPs in Ohio.

We aren't drinking that old bubble up and eating rainbow stew yet, but it's not bad. I feel that I get respect from other providers and we seem to work together well. 

sounds like it's going in the right direction. when you get PAs solo covering EDs and ICUs, you will know you have arrived...

Archived