Yay!! Congrats to those accepted from Friday's interviews :) I'm hoping we'll have a Facebook group going soon so that we can all link up. And good luck to those waiting to hear back!

Thank you!! Good luck to everyone!

Do you happen to know if there is a facebook goup up yet?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I read somewhere that Shenandoah supplies students with iPads/Macs... (correct me if I'm making this up). Can any current students tell me, is it a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air? And is the iPad the regular one or the iPad Air? Do we get the laptop/iPad regardless of whether we need/request them or not? My assumption is that these are already included in tuition...

The MacBook and iPad are covered under the technology fees ~$10k, so every student is provided with both. I can't speak to whether they are Pros or Airs.

I think I read somewhere that Shenandoah supplies students with iPads/Macs... (correct me if I'm making this up). Can any current students tell me, is it a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air? And is the iPad the regular one or the iPad Air? Do we get the laptop/iPad regardless of whether we need/request them or not? My assumption is that these are already included in tuition...

I found this on the SU website:

Q: What is the iMLearning Program?

A: The iMLearning Program provides students and faculty with a common platform and mobile access to university resources.  All incoming full-time freshmen and full-time graduate students in selected programs will be provided with a university-owned and configured 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display and their choice of either 64 Gb iPad Air 2 (Wi-Fi model) or a 64 Gb iPad min 3 (Wi-Fi model).

Weblink: http://www.su.edu/academics/academic-resources-information/imlearning/learn-more-frequently-asked-questions-2/

• 2 weeks later...

@kcovington- I'm currently a first year at SUPA. As far as summer breaks, it is a little different each summer depending on what the university schedule is for the summer. However, I can speak as to what it looks like for us this summer. We finish our spring term in mid May. We have a 2 week break until the first week of June when we start our first summer session. That session ends around July 4th and we have a 2 week break until we start our first mini rotations July 18th. Those will end around the same time as your class ends your summer session and we will start up again in the Fall at the same time. Past years have had slightly different breaks, but I hope this helps a little.

Does anyone know if we should get both the required and recommended / supplemental texts they have provided on the text book list for this summer? I'm wondering if the current students have any tips on whether those are used and useful. 

I don't know if they've given you any book lists for fall or just for summer but the only books I've found helpful at all are the Bates book for your history & physical exam course and the Clinical Pathophys Made Ridiculously Simple book (this one is a "supplemental" book I believe). The summer texts are basically useless and any other useful texts in the fall are easy to find of Access Medicine (an online database you can use for free through the SU library site. They'll tell you how to use it once you begin). Let me know if you have any other questions! I'm an open book. :)

Hey guys,

From reading the forum it sounds like the last round of interviews was Feb 5th? I emailed SUPA because I have not received either an invitation or rejection letter and they said they still don't know the status of my application. What could this mean?

@aerowe Does SU hold a white coat ceremony when the program begins for students or is it just for graduation? Do you know what the first Fall semester schedule is like? 8am-5pm every day?

The only white coat ceremony is held during graduation (when you get the long white coat!). And every day and week is different, but plan on 8am-5:30pm every day during the fall semester! :)

I second su18pa's comment. I got an "official" email today from our program director (I think it was sent to all current students) saying they found out on Friday that accreditation for the NV campus was approved (and also recall the Winchester campus was up for accreditation renewal last year and was granted the highest level of accreditation, so when we talk about accreditation approvals on this forum we have been referring to the new campus).

Good luck to all of you hoping to attend on the NV campus :)

And welcome to PA school, everyone who already know you've been accepted!

I checked SU's Facebook page and they say that the expansion is for the class starting in 2017. Is that mean that this year's class size will not be affected?

It means that this year, there are 12 seats at the Leesburg campus and next year they will increase to 15. The number of students that will start this academic year in July 2016 is 42 at Winchester plus 12 at leesburg for a grand total of 54.

Archived