Heritage University 2015-2016 Application Cycle

RealWay PA and I are in our first year of PA school, so we don't have many answers regarding clinical year for you guys. It sounds like it's been going well for the 2nd year students though and some have already even received job offers. Somewhere on the Heritage PA program website, it states that the program attempts to place students in the same community for the entire clinical year and complete all of the rotations in the same area. So a huge benefit of this program, is that you aren't moved to different towns every 6 weeks like a lot of PA programs out there. Housing is not provided by Heritage, but since you would be in the same area for the entire year, you wouldn't have to worry about moving every 6 weeks. We won't find out until the spring where we are going for our clinical year. I do know though that there are 2nd year students doing their clinical year right now in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, and Montana. I believe that Northern California near Shasta area is also an option.

We have a really long break coming up in a couple of weeks. Our winter break will be from Thanksgiving Day until Jan 3. I can't guarantee it'll be like that in the future, but that's what is happening for us this year. And when we finish spring semester at the beginning of May, my understanding is that we will have 7-10 days off to move to our clinical towns.

As for flying in for the interview, probably just go with whichever city has the cheapest flights since they are both about the same distance from Toppenish. From what I understand, coming from Seattle they try to keep Snoqualmie Pass clear in the winter, but it is still a big mountain pass. And driving from Portland, the Columbia River Gorge is very scenic, but can get ice and snow in the winter sometimes. So it's really just a toss up. I don't know what the fare difference is, but also you can fly into Yakima (20 min away) or into Pasco, WA (only an hour away and not over a mountain pass), but my guess is that those fares are higher.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a fair amount of activities with the PNWU DO students. We have case discussion groups and standardized patient encounters with them and a lot of clinical skills classes with them- suture lab, IV lab, CPR class, some sim labs, etc. It ends up being maybe every other week or so, on average that we are with them.

I know that Monica would like for us to refrain from going into too much detail about the interview day and what is involved in the group activity and writing piece. But feel free to ask RealWayPA and myself any additional questions about the program. We are here to help!

Thanks for the feedback! I seems like it would be a valuable experience to interact with DO students as that happens in the real world frequently.  I figured you wouldn't be able to give to many details regarding the interview but thought I would ask anyway.

I'll reiterate what I've said several times before about the interview day: First, be yourself. The faculty knows the sort of student they want, and they'll offer spots accordingly. It will only hurt you to be something other than yourself. Of course it is a stressful day, and the faculty knows that. Second, play well with the other interviewees (this is extraordinarily important!). Third, if you have any deficiencies or other red flags on your application, like a stretch of bad grades, be sure to directly address these with the interviewers. I knew going into my interview day that I had to talk about a certain period of my academic career when my grades weren't the best, and addressed it as soon as I sensed an appropriate opportunity. A faculty member told me after the fact that they were glad I did this, because part of being a good PA student is being forthright about your own areas of weakness and being able to improve on these. For what its worth, I think that failing to address a concerning facet of an application would be an automatic red flag to the interviewers.

In terms of getting to Toppenish, Seattle is probably a safe bet. Although this is my first winter in Washington, I've heard from classmates that Snoqualmie Pass is only closed in the most severe circumstances, and you'd probably hear about storms of this caliber beforehand. It was snowing hard on the pass when I drove over for my interview, and it still wasn't anything that couldn't be handled by slowing down and driving defensively.

I may be at the December 5th interview, so if you happen to be there for that date, feel free to say hello! My name is Philip.

Here's some more info about the didactic year. Like my classmate said, I can't speak about clinical year, but everything I've heard from the current clinical year students has been overwhelmingly positive. Also, what I say below about didactic year was true for our class, but doesn't necessarily mean it will be the same for future classes.

The summer of didactic year was a whirlwind introduction to medicine. We spent about 70 percent of summer getting a general overview of clinical medicine, an introduction to diagnostics and testing methodologies, reviews of anatomy/physiology/basic medical sciences/stuff-you-theoretically-should-have-learned-already, and how to approach different types of patients and well-patient/preventative care visits. 20 percent of the time was for a professional issues class and our master's research. The final 10 percent is Behavioral Medicine, which is conducted as a separate class that runs for the entire didactic year.

After summer, you spend the remainder of didactic year using a systems-based approach. Thus far, we've covered Cardiology, Pulmonology, HEENT, Nephrology, Hematology/Oncology and Gastroenterology. Each module is a mixture of lectures, case discussions, practical skills/practical examinations, skills labs and other activities such as off-site workshops at specialty clinics. I would say that the class as a whole found pulmonary medicine to be the easiest and cardiology and HEENT to be the hardest, although this varied a great deal between individual students. I think it is a pretty safe bet to say that every single one of us struggles in certain areas and excels in others. One of the things I like the most about Heritage is that the faculty is always available to help you, answer questions and challenge you to think about the material in new and creative ways. 

In terms of getting to Toppenish, Seattle is probably a safe bet. Although this is my first winter in Washington, I've heard from classmates that Snoqualmie Pass is only closed in the most severe circumstances, and you'd probably hear about storms of this caliber beforehand. It was snowing hard on the pass when I drove over for my interview, and it still wasn't anything that couldn't be handled by slowing down and driving defensively.

I may be at the December 5th interview, so if you happen to be there for that date, feel free to say hello! My name is Philip.

Thanks for the driving tips, I feel better about flying into Seattle now. I was wishing I could take my Honda Pilot since it does great in snow/ice, but we should be okay. I have plenty of winter weather driving experience. My wife and I will actually fly in a few days early to have some time to ourselves, and have some time to look around the yakima/toppenish area. 

Thanks for the information about the program as well. I am looking forward this interview! I will keep an eye out for you RealWayPA.

Hey everyone, I have 2 questions:

1. Does anyone know about how long after the December 5th interview that we might find out yes, no, or wait listed?

2. Also, does anyone know some of the sites that the second year students are currently doing their clinical rotations?

1. Last year, everyone that interviewed (on either interview day) was notified within about 2 weeks after the final interview day. You'll want to ask at the interview to clarify what their process will be this year. There is some info further down on this link on the Heritage site:

http://www.heritage.edu/AcademicPrograms/GraduateDegrees/PhysicianAssistantEducationalProgram/Timeline.aspx

2. This response I posted earlier in this thread should answer your questions about clinical year:

RealWay PA and I are in our first year of PA school, so we don't have many answers regarding clinical year for you guys. It sounds like it's been going well for the 2nd year students though and some have already even received job offers. Somewhere on the Heritage PA program website, it states that the program attempts to place students in the same community for the entire clinical year and complete all of the rotations in the same area. So a huge benefit of this program, is that you aren't moved to different towns every 6 weeks like a lot of PA programs out there. Housing is not provided by Heritage, but since you would be in the same area for the entire year, you wouldn't have to worry about moving every 6 weeks. We won't find out until the spring where we are going for our clinical year. I do know though that there are 2nd year students doing their clinical year right now in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska, and Montana. I believe that Northern California near Shasta area is also an option.

We have a really long break coming up in a couple of weeks. Our winter break will be from Thanksgiving Day until Jan 3. I can't guarantee it'll be like that in the future, but that's what is happening for us this year. And when we finish spring semester at the beginning of May, my understanding is that we will have 7-10 days off to move to our clinical towns.

As for flying in for the interview, probably just go with whichever city has the cheapest flights since they are both about the same distance from Toppenish. From what I understand, coming from Seattle they try to keep Snoqualmie Pass clear in the winter, but it is still a big mountain pass. And driving from Portland, the Columbia River Gorge is very scenic, but can get ice and snow in the winter sometimes. So it's really just a toss up. I don't know what the fare difference is, but also you can fly into Yakima (20 min away) or into Pasco, WA (only an hour away and not over a mountain pass), but my guess is that those fares are higher.

As far as I know, there are two different interview groups that day- morning and afternoon. Each group has 24, so a total of 48 people that day. I believe the same will be the case for the Jan interview, so a total of 96 people will be interviewed for the 32 seats in the program.

Hi,

I'll be interviewing on 12/5 in the afternoon and have a couple of questions.

1. Where is the best place to stay the night before?

2. Is anyone from the 12:30 interview meeting up the day before?

Thanks,

I've used the Hilton Garden Inn in Yakima several times before and I can recommend that one. I haven't used any of the others before, but the ones along Yakima Ave in downtown Yakima should be ok. Just don't stay in Toppenish.

Also restaurants to check out in Yakima:

Cowiche Canyon Kitchen

2nd Street Grill

Northtown Coffeehouse

Any would be good places for you guys to meet up with others before the interview or to check out on your own.

I will be attending the January 9th interview and driving over from Spokane.  I spent a day last spring visiting both campuses and talking to some of the staff.  I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and was very impressed with the staff.  After having visited three different schools, my takeaway from Heritage is that they care about their students and want them to succeed.

Bleu and RealwayPA,

I read that you said your days are usually from about 9-4 in the classroom or at the hospital. I have read in my research that some schools have first years working/volunteering in clinics on nights and weekends. Is this the case at Heritage? Also December 5th interviews are just days away. I will be flying into Seattle and driving over early afternoon. Does anyone want to meet up Friday night? I am staying at the Fairfield Inn in Yakima.

Bleu and RealwayPA,

I read that you said your days are usually from about 9-4 in the classroom or at the hospital. I have read in my research that some schools have first years working/volunteering in clinics on nights and weekends. Is this the case at Heritage? Also December 5th interviews are just days away. I will be flying into Seattle and driving over early afternoon. Does anyone want to meet up Friday night? I am staying at the Fairfield Inn in Yakima.

We don't have much outside of the 9-4 hours during the week. We've had isolated things like going to an eye clinic after hours one evening that was mandatory when we were doing our HEENT unit. We also have residents at local retirement homes that we go see regularly to practice our physical exam skills on, but those hours are built into the 9-4 day. I've been told that next semester we will have some evening lab activities at PNWU, but not very many. So there are things here and there outside of the 9-4 hours, but it hasn't been too much. RealWayPA will chime in if I'm forgetting anything else that we've done after hours, but as far as mandatory after hours or weekend activities, there hasn't been too much.

I've used the Hilton Garden Inn in Yakima several times before and I can recommend that one. I haven't used any of the others before, but the ones along Yakima Ave in downtown Yakima should be ok. Just don't stay in Toppenish.

Also restaurants to check out in Yakima:

Cowiche Canyon Kitchen

2nd Street Grill

Northtown Coffeehouse

Any would be good places for you guys to meet up with others before the interview or to check out on your own.

Thanks for recommendations bleu. I'm staying at the Hilton Garden Inn Friday night.  I'm not sure when I'll roll into Yakima, but if anyone interviewing on the 5th wants to meet for dinner, I'm sure I could make it work.

I will be there tomorrow as well. I'll be leaving the Tacoma area around 4 so I won't be getting into Yakima until 7-8, depending on traffic and the pass. I know it is kind of late, but if anyone would be interested in meeting up still, I would most definitely try to make it work. I would love to go into this thing with some familiar faces!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Pass Report

TEMPERATURE:
32ºF / 0ºC
ELEVATION:
3022 ft / 921 m
RESTRICTIONS EASTBOUND:
Pass Closed

RESTRICTIONS WESTBOUND:

No restrictions

CONDITIONS:

I-90 eastbound is closed at milepost 34, near North Bend due to a collision involving a tanker truck that has rolled over and is blocking the eastbound lanes at milepost 80, near Bullfrog. Mixed rain and snow showers, Roadway is bare and wet.

Archived