WMU Class of 2018

Hi everyone! Had my interview on Jan 29 and got accepted. For anyone who still has not had their interview, one tip I can give is: be yourself and most importantly be honest. I myself put in many hours of preparation. I looked at most common questions schools ask, as well as did some mock interviews . Definitely read up on PA profession  and be up to date with PA news. Overall, my interview was a very pleasant experience. 

Best of luck to everyone! 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone! Had my interview on Jan 29 and got accepted. For anyone who still has not had their interview, one tip I can give is: be yourself and most importantly be honest. I myself put in many hours of preparation. I looked at most common questions schools ask, as well as did some mock interviews . Definitely read up on PA profession  and be up to date with PA news. Overall, my interview was a very pleasant experience. 

Best of luck to everyone! 

Congrats on your acceptance. I interviewed the same day and found out Tuesday that I was accepted. Did you accept the offer? 

I agree with naylok. Just be yourself and do as much preparation as you can for the interview itself because it will really show that you are committed and passionate about the opportunity that you have been given. I for one started off by looking at the most common asked interview questions for PA school and came up with an idea of what I wanted to say for each one, then I did 5 or 6 mock interviews with my fiance, friends, co-workers, and former employers that were about an hour to an hour and a half each. 

I interviewed on January 29th and was lucky enough to be offered a seat in the program. For those of you asking about the interview process, I found it to be very relaxed. They provided plenty of opportunities to ask questions about the program and talk with current students. The interview itself involved some stock questions that I think everyone is asked, but the person I was meeting with made it very conversational. Like some of the above posters have mentioned, I think they are just trying to get to know us. Don't worry about some of the stock "right answers" and take the opportunity to tell them about yourself and what makes you are good/unique candidate. There was also a writing sample involving current medical events/issues. I'm not sure how much this influences the decisions, but I'm guessing they are just making sure you can communicate effectively. I really don't think they are looking for any specific answers or opinions. All in all, I actually enjoyed the interview and learned more about the program in the process.

Good luck to those of you who are preparing for your interview, and congrats to those of you who have already received your acceptances!

Thank you so much. I accepted my offer as well! I can not wait to start. Are you waiting to fill out your fafsa until you get the info packet this summer or are you doing it earlier?

I am very excited to start as well. I will most likely wait until I receive the packet this summer. 

HI maize, naylock

How long did it to find out between the interview and the acceptance letter? 

It looks like it was a quick turnaround of just a few days!

Hey, Sorry it took so long to respond. I interviewed on the 29th of January, which was a friday, and received my acceptance on February 2nd, which was the following tuesday. However, I feel that that was a fairly quick acceptance. I know from previous applicants that applied there the last couple years that you could here about an acceptance as late as early march. From what I have heard there are only a few people that hear back as early as naylock and I did. So if you have interviewed and haven't heard back yet I wouldn't stress about it. No news is not bad news it just means that they are still evaluating your application. 

Hey guys! I'm new to the application process and plan on applying for the 2016-2017 cycle. I was just curious about those who were accepted, what your profiles looked like in regards of GPAs, HCE, etc.? I will soon be reaching my 1,000 (paid-HCE) hour minimum and will be graduating at the end of summer, 2016 and I fear that I look inexperienced compared to most other applicants, although I do have lots research experience (non-clinical) and around 200 hours of volunteer experience (hospice, red cross, clinical research). What are your opinions and what advice can you provide for a first time applicant?

Thanks!

Hey guys! I'm new to the application process and plan on applying for the 2016-2017 cycle. I was just curious about those who were accepted, what your profiles looked like in regards of GPAs, HCE, etc.? I will soon be reaching my 1,000 (paid-HCE) hour minimum and will be graduating at the end of summer, 2016 and I fear that I look inexperienced compared to most other applicants, although I do have lots research experience (non-clinical) and around 200 hours of volunteer experience (hospice, red cross, clinical research). What are your opinions and what advice can you provide for a first time applicant?

Thanks!

Here are some of my stats from my profile:

First time applicant

CASPA GPA: 3.5

CASPA Science GPA: 3.7

Last 60 credit GPA: 4.0

HCE: 3,000+ (This is higher than average)

Type of HCE: 3 years working as a MA in the Orthopaedic Trauma department for U of M Hospital

Some advice that I could give to you is to apply as early as you can when the cycle opens up. Because most programs are rolling admissions it is imperative that you apply as early as you absolutely can. The earlier that you can verify your CASPA applications to your programs and submit them the earlier you will receive the supplemental application and be able to submit that, which is really important.  Between now and when the new application cycle opens again in April I would strongly recommend drafting your narrative essay and making sure it is on point. There are some extremely useful posts and forums on this site that have outstanding examples of narrative essays and how you should be preparing yours. One aspect of my application that I feel set me apart from others was my letters of recommendation. My letters consisted of 2 letters from Physician Assistants that I spent two years working with and a letter from an attending Physician who I had a great working relationship with. Having letters from these types of sources is a really great character reference and goes a long way in validating your credentials, work ethic, and desire to be a PA. I would also strongly suggest you start preparing your supplemental essays for the programs you plan on applying to. Most programs will have a supplemental essay topic like: Why do you want to attend our PA program. Spend some time doing research into the program in questions mission statement so that you show within the context of your essay how the programs philosophy and vision coincides with your personal values and beliefs. Make sure you are doing some shadowing with at least one PA but if you can manage to do more than one that is even better. Also if you can try to shadow more than once so that it shows your dedication to gaining knowledge about the profession. Also if you do not have a PA as a source for your letters of recommendation this is your chance to build some rapport with the PA you are shadowing so that they feel comfortable writing you a glowing recommendation. When it comes to the interview portion of the application process just be yourself and do as much preparation as you can for the interview itself because it will really show that you are committed and passionate about the opportunity that you have been given. I for one started off by looking at the most common asked interview questions for PA school and came up with an idea of what I wanted to say for each one, then I did 5 or 6 mock interviews with my fiance, friends, co-workers, and former employers that were about an hour to an hour and a half each. I apologize for the length of this response but I wanted to make sure that I covered all of the important aspects of the process.  Everyone's application is different in some way or another so the above mentioned statistics are in no way the formula for acceptance but they are what you asked for. Let me know if you have any other questions.   

I am entering the Class of 2018 as well! Awesome for all those who were accepted, and don't give up to all those who were not.  So, I was going to make a Facebook page for all those who were accepted this round. I'm not sure how to get everyone's names, but if we can get a few for now that would be fantastic.  Please respond if you have an idea on the best route to take, or add me as a friend.  Thanks!

Christian Landefeld

I was interviewed in Nov, and heard back within hours from my interview that I was accepted. I accepted that offer and I'm very excited!

I am only writing on this to let others who were recently accepted know that Western already has a private facebook page for the incoming first year students. A couple weeks after my offer I received an email from Holly with a link to the facebook page.  You then ask to join and they accept you. All of the current first year students are on that page and they have already given so much advice about what to expect in the upcoming year. I just wanted to let everyone know before they made another facebook page. Hope this helps! I can't wait to meet everyone! 

I was interviewed in Nov, and heard back within hours from my interview that I was accepted. I accepted that offer and I'm very excited!

I am only writing on this to let others who were recently accepted know that Western already has a private facebook page for the incoming first year students. A couple weeks after my offer I received an email from Holly with a link to the facebook page.  You then ask to join and they accept you. All of the current first year students are on that page and they have already given so much advice about what to expect in the upcoming year. I just wanted to let everyone know before they made another facebook page. Hope this helps! I can't wait to meet everyone! 

Hey Milaut, congratulations on your acceptance!

Thank you for the information. 

Hi all,

I interviewed in February and got the letter that I was on the wait list this past weekend (Flew in from California). I'm happy it wasn't an outright rejection but hopeful that perhaps I might get a call back if someone declines the offer.

I emailed Holly her last week and she said that letters would be going out this week (1st wk of March, so I'd assume that would be the final decisions for this year's class.

Does anyone know how long their wait list is and if they reveal wait-list position? I really enjoyed my time at WMU and appreciated the hospitality of the students and faculty.

Archived