Re-Applicant- Can I use the same personal statement?

I applied late last cycle (with many supplementals not completed until November). During the revision process of my personal statement last cycle, I had several professionals review it and did numerous edits based on their critique.  I was told my final personal statement was strong.  My question is:  Is it frowned upon to use the same personal statement this cycle (esp. if applying to the same schools)?  Should I start from scratch, or leave it as is and edit it slightly based on the small aspects that I have incorporated over the last few months? Truthfully, my reasons for wanting to be a PA and the story that influenced my decision haven’t changed much since writing it.  The only change was this past semester I retook a class since it "expired" due to the program's noted time-frame for the course, but my work/volunteering is identical.

Thank you for any advice regarding this matter!

I am a re-applicant and attended an Open House at a certain program. A woman from the AdCom reviewed my entire application, fell in love with my personal statement and said to just tweak it here and there but to keep the essay the same. With this new updated version of CASPA, it just tells you to explain your motivation for wanting to become a PA. There's no secondary prompt for re-applicants mandating that you must explain how you've become more competitive so just something to keep in mind. I would just update a couple of points throughout your essay if anything has changed since the last time you've applied.

I am also a reapplicant and had wondered the same thing.  After reading my old essay, I decided that I was able to write something a lot better than what I previously had.  It really does depend on whether your previous essay will provide a good backbone and you just need to tweak it a little bit or if it would be more beneficial to start a new one.  This application round I am entering with a fresh start so i decided to write a new essay that I am very happy with. 

Good Luck!

Archived