Unethical student conduct

Recently, our class graduated and most of us have taken and passed boards.  We have a "classmate" and I will use that term loosely and will explain.

The program I attended was a hybrid with some online content along with didactic and clinical time.  When we took exams while not on campus, you had to take the exam with a facility or person registered with the program to ensure that no one cheated.  Some of it was an honor system but it was also tightly regulated as they would pop up on your webcam or call while you were taking the exam.  

We had this "classmate" that while we were on campus during didactic, fail all her exams miserably and claimed a sudden "disability."  She was given special privileges for the rest of the program.  During didactic, many classmates that sat behind her watched as she ran a pyramid scam from her laptop during lectures and associated labs and rarely paid attention during very important lectures.  She was confronted by faculty but then lied her way out of it.  Fast forward to all the clinical phases....where she was threatened again by staff because she wasn't showing up to her clinical's and instead selling her snake oil.  She somehow managed to sneak through barely passing.  She kept claiming this disability and during our last on-campus session, claimed another catastrophic life event...get what I'm saying... she cried wolf all the time.

Long story short, she is telling everyone the program lost her paperwork and she needs to get her "ADA" paperwork signed to sit for the PANCE.  I know that it's not my business, but it pisses me off that she took a spot that a more deserving and appreciative student would have killed to have.  She is all over FB saying things like "not having to rush off to a clinic or dr's office to do stupid work" while pushing her snake oil and all.  

I just needed to vent.  It pisses me off royally that she wasted a spot that a more deserving and appreciative student would excel in.  

She already set herself up for failure long ago, but with excuses and creative lies she has been able to pass by the skin of her teeth.  Its bad when the whole class knows how FOS she is and takes nothing she says seriously.  I almost feel sorry for her, but at the same time she did this to herself.  

She has HCE and can talk the talk (barely) but cant walk the walk.  It just pisses me off that she continues to boast on facebook about "ill take this over any hospital or doctors office any day" referring to her BS pyramid scheme.  The whole class knows she lied her ass off and even some of the adjunct faculty even started catching on.  

She stated she had bad "adhd" but held positions prior to that with ZERO disability.  Call it coincidence, but we all know it was an excuse.  I wish the school would withdrawal her elgibility to test but thats probably too late, hell all they would have to do is follow her fb posts.  

Its not my concern as I have already finished and passed the PANCE, but it pisses me off that we had another student let go for legitimate issues and she got to stay.  

In almost all the (rare) instances where I had to deal with a student with ethical issues, the issues almost always came to light because a classmate reported it.

Faculty go into teaching because we want to teach, not because we want to spent time policing bad behavior (although sadly, this becomes part of the job). We generally trust students and give the benefit of the doubt.

We count on students to bring problems to our attention. It is part of your professional responsibility to do so and part of our professional responsibility to investigate.

The faculty had caught on to her many times, but she had these elaborate lies to get past them and then would run to student health saying she was having an anxiety attack or what not.  

A classmate of mine spoke with her this morning and she said "why would I take the test when I am making 20k a month alone and the ER offered me $90/hr which is nowhere what I make now."  First off, why the heck did she even stay in the program??  Second, what new grad makes that an hour??!!??  I see her actions during class as unethical in terms of her with academic misconduct and unlawful use of school property to make financial gains....she was selling her snakeoil crap to other students and would show up late to class as she would hit up the sorority houses to sell these things,  and there is no way she could have passed the exams when not on campus without any help.  When she was on campus she would either fail or make a low grade, but again she would make some elaborate excuse. 

Is there anything that can be done now?  Or is it too late?

I agree, I am mostly just venting.  I know the time has passed but can't see how she got it passed the faculty because a few classmates turned her in on multiple times and even faculty caught her in class while sitting behind her with her laptop up selling her stuff and so forth.  

end of rant, I will leave this alone now.  Just had to vent some.

A classmate of mine spoke with her this morning and she said "why would I take the test when I am making 20k a month alone and the ER offered me $90/hr which is nowhere what I make now."

This lady is trolling the lot of you.  Just nod your head in agreement.  You don't really want to find her in your professional pool, anyway.

...Fast forward to all the clinical phases....where she was threatened again by staff because she wasn't showing up to her clinical's and instead selling her snake oil.  She somehow managed to sneak through barely passing...

We can only miss 2, that's t-w-o, days per rotation. After that it's an automatic fail. You must then repeat that rotation in-place of one of your electives. Fail another rotation? Bye-bye, you're out. No extra chances.

I don't get why they let her graduate in the first place. But it sounds as if she either can't or won't pass the PANCE, so maybe she's eliminating herself from the PA gene pool.

PACdan...first off, I like the name. 

I think they may have graduated her to keep their numbers up.  I'm not sure though, and I am mostly venting.  But I think today she sealed her own fate.  

Our rotations were evaluated at the end with # of hours and # of patients.  Certain rotations you had to see X amount and do X hours.  While we were on a certain rotation, she hopped onto another rotation and bragged all over that she was practically doing brain transplants (sarcasm) in an Urgent Care setting.  

Pretty sure today she sealed her own fate with a public announcement on a social media website admitting to academic misconduct in the form of stupidity and laziness.  I wouldn't let her work on a dead fish.  She could barely talk about basic things like AOM or a normal EKG.  

• Administrator

We can only miss 2, that's t-w-o, days per rotation.

We had the same sort of expectations.  We were told up front to pretend our extended family did not exist for the duration.

My brother got married during my ER rotation.  I was working 60-70 hours per week most weeks, but took 4 days off to fly across country to attend.  My preceptor considered that I had appropriate attendance, and my program never knew or cared.

During my surgery rotation, Thursday afternooons were supposed to be a light day, with team sports activities (soccer, mostly) with all the residents. After two weeks of that, I discovered that there were always a few procedures scheduled, and the chief resident didn't care if I followed her around and was the only student in surgery that day, and could get in another 4 hours per week of second assist.  I also did overnight call, which the PA students weren't required to do, on two nights because no one told me I couldn't.

On another rotation, rural family med, I did have a sick day once (I got C. diff.  I don't recommend it), and made it up by hanging out in podiatric surgery on a day my preceptor wasn't working.  I had a blast, and everyone was happy.

On rotations, attendance is what you make of it.  In my experience, most of my preceptors were like "My goodness, I know the hell they're putting you through, if you need to take a day off, then tell me and go", and on the big academic center rotations, I could have been gone and no one but the interns would have noticed.

Archived